• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cookson says Moscon will face no disciplinary actions over racist slur. TeamSky 6 week 'no ban' was enough!!!!

What a effing joke!

Jeez, when you thought the UCI could not scrape the bottom of the barrel any further after McQuaid, a long comes Cookson.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Lol, apart from campaigning/cheerleading -Cookson been basically hiding under a rock for over a year. Then chooses to stick his head out on an issue like this? Great leadership!

I suspect that UKAD will try and prolong the results of their long running investigation into British cycling until after the presidential election for fear of more negative publicity for Cookson. He has had plenty of negative public criticism but very little in the way of public support to date.

Problems I identify in professional cycling organs and general ruling laws of teams and races:
1. unconsideration of cyclists and fans aspirations keeping the sport hostage of an undiversified and unrepresenting electoral college.
2. recurring safety faults of race organizers
either on route choices, apparently unprapered vehicle drivers or poor safety equipments. Just this year it had significant impact on WT race results, not even speaking of the obvious consequences
3. unensured aid in cases of severe injuries with time of recovery exceeding the end of the contract.
4. lack of competitiveness. Restricting hirings based on UCI points instead of creating budget limits or salary limits would neither discourege financial investiments nor harm cyclists income.
5. allowing teams to have staff members with multiple doping convictions, increasing suspicion on today cycling.

Re:

ontheroad said:
I suspect that UKAD will try and prolong the results of their long running investigation into British cycling until after the presidential election for fear of more negative publicity for Cookson. He has had plenty of negative public criticism but very little in the way of public support to date.

Has anyone publicly come out in support for Cookson? Unless someone talks, I would not hold out much hope for UKAD's investigation.

Re: Re:

Has anyone publicly come out in support for Cookson? Unless someone talks, I would not hold out much hope for UKAD's investigation.[/quote]

Team sky workouts recorded information could be the other step, never the less I'm in the dark about an AD agency to take compulsive actions.

Robert5091 said:
ontheroad said:

Has anyone publicly come out in support for Cookson? Unless someone talks, I would not hold out much hope for UKAD's investigation.

Yes, Brian Cookson has come out in support of Brian Cookson. Many selfies for promotion.

The UKAD investigation will never complete we know that.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

Robert5091 said:
ontheroad said:

Entirely not necessary since the public doesn't vote for President of the UCI.

John Swanson

Cookson meets with African Cycling Confederation delegates in Cairo to canvass for votes -
http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...ro-in-bid-to-shore-up-support-for-re-election

https://www.briancookson.org/news/2...presentation-to-african-cycling-confederation

African Cycling Confederation President Dr. Azzam said: “We welcome Brian Cookson and his team and we had a superb meeting with the nine African voting delegates and management team.

“Mr Cookson has had a great impact on cycling in Africa and he has gained our complete respect. His vision for the next four years fits with our ambitions to grow the sport on our continent and we know he has achieved a great deal so far.”

Edit - Cookson meet with USA Cycling President and CEO Derek Bouchard-Hall and other US cycling representatives on the USA Cycling Foundation’s annual trip to the Tour de France.in July -
https://www.briancookson.org/news/2...-discuss-cycling-development-in-united-states

Robert5091 said:
Cookson meets with African Cycling Confederation delegates in Cairo to canvass for votes -
http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...ro-in-bid-to-shore-up-support-for-re-election

https://www.briancookson.org/news/2...presentation-to-african-cycling-confederation

African Cycling Confederation President Dr. Azzam said: “We welcome Brian Cookson and his team and we had a superb meeting with the nine African voting delegates and management team.

“Mr Cookson has had a great impact on cycling in Africa and he has gained our complete respect. His vision for the next four years fits with our ambitions to grow the sport on our continent and we know he has achieved a great deal so far.”

Edit - Cookson meet with USA Cycling President and CEO Derek Bouchard-Hall and other US cycling representatives on the USA Cycling Foundation’s annual trip to the Tour de France.in July -
https://www.briancookson.org/news/2...-discuss-cycling-development-in-united-states

Good ole Brian, doing what he does best. Absolutely nothing whilst swanning around the world on the UCI expense account whoring votes.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.briancookson.org/endorsements/
An almost "Trump" like webpage of loyalty pledges. "We are blessed to serve ... etc"

Like the old "I support Lance" website.... good to see Lord Coe a man of integrity providing support for good ole Brian.

Lord Sebastian Coe - President IAAF, and former Chairman British Olympic Association

Brian became President of Cycling at a particularly challenging time for the sport. He has brought a real sense of purpose and re-direction to the sport and I am very happy to support his ambitions to serve a further term as UCI President.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I refuse to visit Cookson's website, but when I see thehog talking about Brian Cookson official endorsement statements, I imagine crap like this all over the site:

I owe my whole career to Brian. Having his staff look the other way on the motors, and rubber-stamping all those TUEs for horse steroids. Letting my teammates off for biopassport issues in exchange for treating his son to a month's vacation in Colombia. It's not every bureaucrat who understands how to keep the Sky money rolling in to the sport. Brian is a man of vision. You can rely upon him. I support him fully.
-Chris Froome

Chris better remember that he owes a lot of his career to me, way more than to Brian. I devised his weight loss nutrition plan, and discovered the cure for Badzhilla, and got Brad Wiggins tossed off the team, and got Chris his only product endorsement from those nose turbine people, and kept him from making a fool of himself in that Kimmage interview. And I personally invented a better motor than that Hungarian guy. Really pisses me off not to be given full credit for my engineering genius. I mean, what the hell, even sniper doesn't know about my technical skills, and he talks about motors all the time.

In sum, no, Chris does not support Brian Cookson. Not fully.
-Mrs. Cound Dawg

Brian has always been supportive of my team and BC. He helped bury the CIRC report and get those MPs off my back, too. I also have to thank Brian for helping me lean on the commissaires when my idiot rider ran up Mount Ventoux without a bike. They say you can't fix stupid, but Brian and I are proof that, with the right kind of money, you sure can. Brian's a swell bloke, and I support his re-election campaign.

-SIR Dave Brailsfraud

Brian is the best UCI president and keeps those commissaires in line when they don't do what you want. Re-elect Brian to continue make sure cycling runs as it should - with the right people getting what they deserve.

-Team Cav, uh, Dimension Data

Calm down, Skybots. I jest.

Re:

Beech Mtn said:
I refuse to visit Cookson's website, but when I see thehog talking about Brian Cookson official endorsement statements, I imagine crap like this all over the site:

I owe my whole career to Brian. Having his staff look the other way on the motors, and rubber-stamping all those TUEs for horse steroids. Letting my teammates off for biopassport issues in exchange for treating his son to a month's vacation in Colombia. It's not every bureaucrat who understands how to keep the Sky money rolling in to the sport. Brian is a man of vision. You can rely upon him. I support him fully.
-Chris Froome

Chris better remember that he owes a lot of his career to me, way more than to Brian. I devised his weight loss nutrition plan, and discovered the cure for Badzhilla, and got Brad Wiggins tossed off the team, and got Chris his only product endorsement from those nose turbine people, and kept him from making a fool of himself in that Kimmage interview. And I personally invented a better motor than that Hungarian guy. Really pisses me off not to be given full credit for my engineering genius. I mean, what the hell, even sniper doesn't know about my technical skills, and he talks about motors all the time.

In sum, no, Chris does not support Brian Cookson. Not fully.
-Mrs. Cound Dawg

Brian has always been supportive of my team and BC. He helped bury the CIRC report and get those MPs off my back, too. I also have to thank Brian for helping me lean on the commissaires when my idiot rider ran up Mount Ventoux without a bike. They say you can't fix stupid, but Brian and I are proof that, with the right kind of money, you sure can. Brian's a swell bloke, and I support his re-election campaign.

-SIR Dave Brailsfraud

Brian is the best UCI president and keeps those commissaires in line when they don't do what you want. Re-elect Brian to continue make sure cycling runs as it should - with the right people getting what they deserve.

-Team Cav, uh, Dimension Data

Calm down, Skybots. I jest.
Comedy genius! Reads like a Toto comic strip :lol:

It's like the entire investigation into British Cycling, the bullying, the sexism, the misappropriation of funds never occurred... we love Brian :lol:

Peter King - Chief Executive Officer, British Cycling Federation, 1997 to 2008

I was privileged to work closely with Brian during my time as Chief Executive of the British Cycling Federation, between 1997 and 2008, and thereafter as an advisor to the Board. During that time I developed a great respect for Brian and for his knowledge of the sport, his commitment, his vision, his integrity and his leadership qualities – all of which were applied successfully to the benefit of British Cycling for the 17 years of his Presidency, and to the benefit of the UCI and World cycling during the last four years. Transformation of any complex organisation is a long-term task and to complete Brian’s manifesto to modernise, develop and enhance both the UCI and World cycling requires a second term. I support Brian and wish him well in his campaign for re-election.

Hopefully the idiot Cookson will be voted out in 15 days time. He is a fraud. It's no surprise the tablets don't work and there is no dismantling of bikes even when there is a positive.

While the UCI tablet duly detected the magnetic field around the hidden motor, it also detected similar magnetic fields in three other places on the bike where there was no hidden motor. Such ‘false positives’ would ordinarily call for the dismantling of the bike for further inspection, but one WorldTour mechanic told Il Corriere della Sera that he has never seen UCI testers do anything more than swipe an iPad against the bikes in his care.

“We must have undergone over 2,000 tests, and not once have the inspectors asked for a second test or for a bike to be taken apart for further inspection,” the mechanic said.

Valeske and his team proceeded to use the UCI tablet device to scan a bike equipped with an electromagnetic induction wheel. This is reputedly the latest generation of mechanical doping, and a wheel equipped with the technology is reported to cost over €20,000. The tablet failed to detect any magnetic field whatsoever around the wheel, but when the wheel was passed through an X-ray scanner, the induction motor was clearly visible.

“The wheel is ‘perfectly clean’, at least for the tablet. However, the X-rays instead show the induction plates and the transmission cables, perfectly hidden by carbon,” wrote Marco Bonarrigo of Il Corriere della Sera. “The wheel that transforms the bike into a motorbike is, for the UCI controls, a piece of inert fibre.”

The article in Il Corriere precedes Sunday afternoon’s edition of the Stade 2 magazine show on France 2, which will include a report on the investigation and will feature footage from the testing at the Fraunhofer Institute.

The French television programme has reported extensively on mechanical doping in recent years. In June 2016, Stade 2 reported that UCI technical director Mark Barfield had alerted Harry Gibbings of the e-bike manufacturer Typhoon about a police investigation into the use of hidden motors on the 2015 Tour de France. The UCI said that it had “full confidence in its staff employed in this area” and Barfield remains in place as technical director.

David Lappartient, who is challenging Brian Cookson at this month’s UCI presidential election in Bergen, has pledged to improve testing for technological fraud by using X-ray scanners and thermal cameras, and by disassembling bikes to allow for more thorough testing.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doubts-raised-over-effectiveness-of-uci-tests-for-mechanical-doping/

TRENDING THREADS