• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson V McQuaid who do you think ???

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
T-Nielsen said:
If Cookson wants to convince anyone that a new time has dawned for cycling he must do one thing and one thing only. Strip Hein from his "honorary" title.

Agreed - and hopefully he would also have to resign his IOC position, as does McQuaid.

Benotti69 said:
Armstrong, Weisel, USAC and Marakov giving Cookson a 'Halleluyah' does not bode well.

What are Armstrong and Weisel going to say?

"I am deeply disappointed. Pat McQuaid was the most moral, most honest, and best qualified candidate for the position, and it grieves me deeply that he will no longer be in a position to shepherd our great sport moving forward"

They're just jumping on the band wagon heading for the high ground. Nothing more.

ETA: Plus, having Fat Pat out at the UCI is a great thing for DopeStrong legally.

GreasyMonkey said:
Agreed - and hopefully he would also have to resign his IOC position, as does McQuaid.

I think he does. IOC memberships come, if I remember correctly (and please do correct me if I am wrong), from nations or organisations (So either nominated by a national olympic commite or afilliated whit and organisation in the olympic family). The reason Hein became honorary president was so he could remain a member of the IOC through the UCI, because he is not representing the Belgian olympic commitee. Or something ;).

Parker said:
Verbruggen resigned from the IOC in 2008. (He is an honorary member though). He was on the management committee, but I think he stepped down from that recently too.

So the cirkel jerk is complete. He has left the elected ranks and are now untouchabel.

Sometimes there are not enough desks to slam your head onto.

EnacheV said:
wow, paroxysmal rage

i guess it's on Pat's pay sheet

internet warriors are cheap these days and you can spot Pat's in blink.

edit : looking closer at hist tweets i retract, i think he has serious mental problems.

First time I've been linked in any way with supporting Pat, even if you did retract...
as regards my mental problems...maybe so...but cookson has shown himself to be extremely weak and is almost there only by default...ask the Greeks about the 35 grand.

gooner said:
How long before we hear the cynics say there will no positives at Sky now?

Ok, I'll bite. There will be no positives at Sky now.

:rolleyes::confused:

spalco said:
Cookson's election is almost certainly not a revolution, but let's be real, it's probably the first time in at least 22 years that there's a regime change in the UCI, that's got to mean something, no?

It is the first time in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE UCI that there has been an election that wasn't rigged by Verbruggen.

Dave.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd say Verbruggen will disappear. Hes made his money ten fold. Maybe a chance he may get dragged back in if they find evidence of corruption. Its a shame cause he caused the most damage

AcademyCC said:
I'd say Verbruggen will disappear. Hes made his money ten fold. Maybe a chance he may get dragged back in if they find evidence of corruption. Its a shame cause he caused the most damage

There must be a warm prison cell somewhere in Switzerland with a vacancy sign on it. Until Hein moves in, this story isn't over.

Dave.

Benotti69 said:
Is Cookson here for the better of the sport or for himself, Sky and Brit Cycling?

Benotti69 said:
If Crookson wins we get anglo saxons winning in July for foreseeable future with a Russian every few years.......
On what is this based on?

Im not a fan of the guy, and I don't like the obamaesque hero worship towards a politico, that are visible in some places.

And I worry what will happen with the issues closest to my heart- globalization and women's cycling.

But its unfair to immediately jump to conclusions that this will be a administration dedicated to team sky.

1st of all no matter how much the anglophone world tries to pretend the sport is big in Britain and Australia now, a fact that will not change overnight is that it is a sport that has far far bigger bases in Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Denmark and in some other european countries.

So even if hypothetically Cookson's sole aim as president were to keep Britain winning everything, he would have a far more difficult time of it precisely because he is British. He would need to be careful not to look too favourable to his own.

In fact it was far easier for Mcquack, who we know for a fact was racist against the South Europeans, to be biased in favour of the Brits and the Americans since he himself came from neither tribe.

And he was the worst nightmare possible anwyay. All along we thought he was probably going to win anyway. So at worst nothing has changed.

Secondly, Cookson has his own interests to take care of. He is UCI President now. Its likely that while he can he will ride the sky bandwagon as far as possible, but if it ever comes to having to make compromises, well I've never come across a politico who would bend over backwards for someone else. Cookson is going to take care of himself first and foremost. Not sky.

And things are always more complicated anyway. Your comment is very simplistic.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
On what is this based on?

Im not a fan of the guy, and I don't like the obamaesque hero worship towards a politico, that are visible in some places.

And I worry what will happen with the issues closest to my heart- globalization and women's cycling.

But its unfair to immediately jump to conclusions that this will be a administration dedicated to team sky.

1st of all no matter how much the anglophone world tries to pretend the sport is big in Britain and Australia now, a fact that will not change overnight is that it is a sport that has far far bigger bases in Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Denmark and in some other european countries.

So even if hypothetically Cookson's sole aim as president were to keep Britain winning everything, he would have a far more difficult time of it precisely because he is British. He would need to be careful not to look too favourable to his own.

In fact it was far easier for Mcquack, who we know for a fact was racist against the South Europeans, to be biased in favour of the Brits and the Americans since he himself came from neither tribe.

And he was the worst nightmare possible anwyay. All along we thought he was probably going to win anyway. So at worst nothing has changed.

Secondly, Cookson has his own interests to take care of. He is UCI President now. Its likely that while he can he will ride the sky bandwagon as far as possible, but if it ever comes to having to make compromises, well I've never come across a politico who would bend over backwards for someone else. Cookson is going to take care of himself first and foremost. Not sky.

And things are always more complicated anyway. Your comment is very simplistic.

Who is going to query Cookson's presidency? Walsh or anyone else in the cycling media?

That UCI has made such a mess of the sport for so long and got a way with it, what has Cookson got to worry about on that score? McQuaid was looking at another 4 years till he made a complete mess of USADA's reasoned decision and bent over backwards, frontwards, sidewards to try and protect Armstrong till it was obvious Armstrong was under the bus.

Cookson will probably not make the same mistakes, just like Sky have (more or less) not made the same mistakes as USPS.

If Cooskon doesn't make anti doping independent it would be feasible to 'dedicate' himself to Sky as the doping results arrive onto his desk before going anywhere...........

TRENDING THREADS