• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Coolest Names in the Peloton*

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Der Effe said:
hrotha said:
I can't get over how stupid "Antwan Tolhoek" is. "Antwan", for god's sake.

It’s Antoine, but then in Dutch. Same with Toine/Twan. I mean, it’s not even the Dutch version of the name, which is Anton, but Antwan is Antoine phonetically spelled.

It’s pretty stupid I guess, even though not that uncommom, but had his parents decided to spell it Antoine no one would’ve noticed.
I know what it is, that's what makes it so blergh.
But how are you supposed to know which syllable to stress without a double vowel?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwaan_Randle_El

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

hrotha said:
Kokoso said:
For me his royal majesty emperor Leopold König has same charm :) almost as good as one name I can't recall now... :)
Cunego > König
You don't get my point by the looks of it. The point is König means king. Cunego doesn't even mean König as far as I know.

IMHO König sounds more royal and certainly cooler than Cunego anyway :)

Kokoso said:
hrotha said:
Kokoso said:
For me his royal majesty emperor Leopold König has same charm :) almost as good as one name I can't recall now... :)
Cunego > König
You don't get my point by the looks of it. The point is König means king. Cunego doesn't even mean König as far as I know.

"Cunego" is an Italian adaptation of "König". It is literally the same.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

hrotha said:
Kokoso said:
hrotha said:
Kokoso said:
Cunego > König

"Cunego" is an Italian adaptation of "König". It is literally the same.
I don't think so, nowhere to be found. Anyway even if it was, it wouldn't work because part of reason that name is cool is it sounds German and first name is Leopold. König Leopold sounds right, König Damiano doesn't.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The Belgians kings, or koning(en), indeed had their ancestry in German speaking territory (Thuringia, if I am correct) which makes it pretty funny.

Regarding to the surname, we also have Benjamin King and Peter Koning.

I will be very simple here. Cunego sounds kinda tame compared to the grandiose sound of König. I actually though Küng was king in German, so i was ready to propose Stefan Küng, but it seems to be incorrect.

I really like the name Kruijswijk. It sounds like a name for a battleship. Also some of those Colombian names are cool.

I would imagine "Küng" is a Swiss German variant of "king/König". As for "Cunego", I really like its sound and that it's an Italian development of a Germanic word (see here. That only adds to the charm even if it's not so transparent, because it carries with it a chunk of the history of northern Italy.

Then there's Fabio Jakobsen; first name sounds Italian, surname sounds Danish, guy is Dutch - go figure!

Also, according to Chris Anker Sørensen Pierre-Luc Perichon is the best French name ever.

The names you come across when checking start lists; Daan Van Sintmaartensdijk! Hmm... does "dijk" mean "dike"? Would make sense to have it a part of a Dutch name (like Ellen Van Dijk).

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Then there's Fabio Jakobsen; first name sounds Italian, surname sounds Danish, guy is Dutch - go figure!

Also, according to Chris Anker Sørensen Pierre-Luc Perichon is the best French name ever.

The names you come across when checking start lists; Daan Van Sintmaartensdijk! Hmm... does "dijk" mean "dike"? Would make sense to have it a part of a Dutch name (like Ellen Van Dijk).
Yeah it is, dijk = dike/embankment

Makes more sense than all the various Van Den Bergs running around. Though, I remember reading somewhere that the creation of family names in the Netherlands happened when the French occupied the area under Napoleon and demanded that everyone should have a family name (as opposed to patronym, I guess), and the Dutch just decided to take the piss!

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Makes more sense than all the various Van Den Bergs running around. Though, I remember reading somewhere that the creation of family names in the Netherlands happened when the French occupied the area under Napoleon and demanded that everyone should have a family name (as opposed to patronym, I guess), and the Dutch just decided to take the piss!
Yeah that's why they have
Lars Boom (tree)
Stef Kurl (curl)
Ivar slik (swallow)
Oh and CX-rider Thijs Al which just means all and then I forget Richard Groenewegen, whose name just means "green roads" which was fitting for a CX-rider.

Re:

RedheadDane said:

Sint-Maartensdijk is simply the name of a town in the Netherlands. So his ancestors most likely were from (=van) that town.

But does the town have a dijk?
Or are/were the Dutch as ridiculous when it comes to naming towns? I mean, don't tell me the town is in the middle of the frikkin' Limburg province!

toolittle said:
This is coolest name in cycling world beyond debate.... Peter Sagan.

Strange, nobody knows Sagan here?
Coolest name in cycling history.

If not, Latour is a symbol of cycling race.

I'm not talking about the coolest rider, I'm talking about the coolest name.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Or are/were the Dutch as ridiculous when it comes to naming towns? I mean, don't tell me the town is in the middle of the frikkin' Limburg province!

toolittle said:
This is coolest name in cycling world beyond debate.... Peter Sagan.

Strange, nobody knows Sagan here?
Coolest name in cycling history.

If not, Latour is a symbol of cycling race.

I'm not talking about the coolest rider, I'm talking about the coolest name.
Actually, i think it can be a pretty cool name, but it depends on the language. I'm not sure if Sagan isn't Slovakian for pot.

As for town names, the worst (when it comes to their English meaning) are by far in France: Die, Corps, Condom, Bitche, Gap, Pussy (in La Léchère-les-Bains) and i think i've forgotten about some others. Belgium also has some... exotic names like Nazareth, Egypten (Drie-Egypten) and Lochristi.

RedheadDane said:
Well, Sint-Maartensdijk is in Zeeland and pretty close to the sea, so the answer is probably "yes". But if you found a town with a name in -dijk that was pretty far inland, it would probably be either because the shoreline has changed, or because the -dijk element somehow retained its more generic sense of "earthwork, ditch".

TRENDING THREADS