• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Copenhagen 2011: Junior Men TT 27.8km & Women TT 27.8km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ownage.

judith_arndt.jpg

lol canadians miss out on podiums :eek:

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Tuarts said:
****ing rubbish, people should be free to do what they want.

Anyway, great ride by Arndt!

In that case, they should just wear their team jerseys in the World Championships, as countries do not mean a thing anyway.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Der Effe said:
In that case, they should just wear their team jerseys in the World Championships, as countries do not mean a thing anyway.

Don't you know any non-cycling people who have changed nationality at some point?

I imagine the whole issue of representing your nation prompts a little thinking about which nation you most identify with and wish to represent.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Der Effe said:

She want's to be a Kiwi, a New Zealander and that's her choice, its got nothing to do with the World Championships.

“My connection to Denmark will always be there, but it is here in New Zealand that I have my life,” she said. “I've found my place and it gives me a great peace.”

Why should some anonymous keyboard warriors say others "because"?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Der Effe said:

It only has the meaning you lend it. Of its own it means little. People are people, not national subjects, and they should be able to live where they want to live.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
what does a nazi-turn-anti-nazi have to do with this?
edit: not trolling, just curious.. is it a saying (figure of speech) or something? curious.

Who is the nazi-turned-anti-nazi?

Great ride by Arndt. Also Villumsen.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
Don't you know any non-cycling people who have changed nationality at some point?

I imagine the whole issue of representing your nation prompts a little thinking about which nation you most identify with and wish to represent.

I don't, as in people who gave up one nationality for the other. I do know people who have two or even three nationalities. In other sports and outside sports. The thing is, I don't mind if someone has 20 nationalities but in my opinion you shouldn't be able to compete for more than one country.

1) Chances are high lots of people from the country you used to represent payed money to see you compete, supported you etc. It shows little respect to just sweep them aside like a bag of dirt.
2) The country you used to compete for invested a lot of money in you. Or well, the tax payer of the country you used to race for.
3) A lot (I'd say 7 out of 10 times) of times sportsmen who aren't good enough to compete for their 'home country' suddenly change their nationality. Or in team sports sportsmen who come from a country that is quite bad.
4) In for example Haussler's case, couldn't he have figured out he wanted to race for Australia earlier? He held double nationality his entire life, right? So first he's like "I want to race for Germany" and then all of a sudden he wants to race for Australia? Just make up your mind ;)
5) It just kills sports. Usually you support someone who's from your own country or region because you can somehow identify with that person, for for example geological reasons. What if all sportsmen kept changing nationalities? I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be so many spectators for World Championships.

What I do understand is that for example when you hold 2 or 3 nationalities you don't exactly know for what you country you'd like to compete. Because of that all sports should do the same thing as football. You can change until you've made a cap/appearance for the country's 'first team'. Or you represented the national elite team, in cycling.

It's just my opinion on the subject. I'm not old fashioned or conservative at all. I don't care much for nationalities, as in people should be judged by what they do and are rather than where they come from but in sports, in order to keep it 'healthy', there should be clear and strict rules regarding nationalities.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
to be honest once a rider has ridden for a country I dislike the notion that they can rider for another. really lame imo.

Tell that to Andrey Tchmil. He rode for like 5 different countries during his career. Soviet Union, Russia, Moldova, Ukraine and Belgium I think. If he also participated in the 1992 olympics he would have ridden for the Unified Team under an olympic flag.

Der Effe said:
What I do understand is that for example when you hold 2 or 3 nationalities you don't exactly know for what you country you'd like to compete. Because of that all sports should do the same thing as football. You can change until you've made a cap/appearance for the country's 'first team'. Or you represented the national elite team, in cycling.

It's just my opinion on the subject. I'm not old fashioned or conservative at all. I don't care much for nationalities, as in people should be judged by what they do and are rather than where they come from but in sports, in order to keep it 'healthy', there should be clear and strict rules regarding nationalities.

I get that concern, in the abstract, even if it's not as much a concern for me. But practically, people are allowed to change nationalities, and not many do so the question of 'what if all sportsment changed nationalities' is somewhat moot, in my thinking.

I do respect changing sports, though, so props to Clara Hughes (from my hometown, so I guess there's a bit of bias)... medalled in MTB in '96 Atlanta games, had a long and successful career in speed skating (including gold in 2006), and now is 'retiring' by going to the road and getting top 5 in the worlds. Her outspoken dedication to the value and fun of sport is really awesome.

I think its okay that Willumsen decide to ride for New Zealand.

But I also see the point that she has race for Denmark and taken bronze, and now races for new zealand.

But i think you should race where your heart is.

But there should be some limits, like eks. you have to live in that country for some years before you can represent it or max 2 countrys thrue out your life that you can represent.

Otherwise it could be a joke if people and the best sportsman could surf around the countrys and maybe countrys there will pay the most.-

May 8, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
4th place finisher in the mens junior race Markus Fåglum-Karlsson is a rider will very good cycling pedigree.

Good option for the next year I hope. The guy has a strong head aside from those good genes. I live in the same village and when in the winter I see him and his friends riding in the snow, well under 0 degrees, I understand that cycling at that level is for very very few.