• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 155 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
for all the poo pooing of the herd immunity strategy, what is going on in Europe right now feels to me like going for it without mentioning it by name. the decrease in deaths compared to the first wave suggests that there is some degree of adaptation by the vulnerable, so again it seems that something indeed is possible to be done.
Well it took the deaths of an estimated 50 million people during the Spanish Flu outbreak and two years to achieve a semblance of herd immunity and the second wave was worse than the first. They also practiced social distancing. The Spanish Flu virus never completely disappeared. Traces are still found today. And has already been seen with the coronavirus, recovery even in young people can be very arbitrary. Lots more infections could also mean lots more long termers putting even more stress on hospital systems around the world . The long term effects of this virus seem to be more complex than the Spanish Flu but not enough time has passed to tell whether the symptoms of some of the survivors will dissipate or not re heart, lung, kidney and neurological problems. Also a form of chronic fatigue.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
How do you even isolate the elderly from the general population?
You don’t isolate them physically you simply issue guidelines and recommendations. It can be done. Not difficult at all in developed nations in particular. Isn’t the threat of dying enough motivation? Certainly all the elderly I see take all the precautions. Lockdowns can’t be sustained even Europe has backed off on lockdowns for economic necessity.

It depends on the country, but a lot of the elderly live with younger family. Then there is the issue of the 'vulnerable' who are not senior citizens. They have been told to isolate for their own good, but in most cases lack the means to do so. No matter how they feel about Covid, they have effectively no choice in the matter to do anything but shoulder the risk in order to survive the rat race.

anybody else catch the N.Y. Post columnist blaming old people for being too selfish during this crisis? How did you Aussies let this gem leave?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1313553163354624006

Last edited:
How do you even isolate the elderly from the general population?
Usually without much success it seems
It depends on the country, but a lot of the elderly live with younger family. Then there is the issue of the 'vulnerable' who are not senior citizens. They have been told to isolate for their own good, but in most cases lack the means to do so. No matter how they feel about Covid, they have effectively no choice in the matter to do anything but shoulder the risk in order to survive the rat race.

anybody else catch the N.Y. Post columnist blaming old people for being too selfish during this crisis? How did you Aussies let this gem leave?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1313553163354624006
Just ignore her, a well known fruitcake in Australia...............

Reactions: jmdirt and hrotha
You don’t isolate them physically you simply issue guidelines and recommendations. It can be done. Not difficult at all in developed nations in particular. Isn’t the threat of dying enough motivation? Certainly all the elderly I see take all the precautions. Lockdowns can’t be sustained even Europe has backed off on lockdowns for economic necessity.
Everybody has already been issued guidelines and recommendations. This alone won't do. If this is the plan, it won't work.

'The finding has prompted fears that future Covid-19 outbreaks will be hard to control'

Big if true.

The N of 115 positive cases is on the low side , but I am not surprised by their findings. This also relates to some of the stories that I have read about prisons like the notorious Angola in Louisiana. In these accounts, unless you had all the major symptoms, they were not classifying you as being symptomatic. Even with the cough, if that was not accompanied by a fever, you were listed as asymptomatic. For my work tracker, it asks for no less than 13 symptoms. Every day I have to say that I don't have fever, chills, cough, loss of taste, loss of smell, trouble breathing, sore throat, nausea, muscle or body aches, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, and runny nose or congestion.

'The finding has prompted fears that future Covid-19 outbreaks will be hard to control'

Big if true.

The N of 115 positive cases is on the low side , but I am not surprised by their findings. This also relates to some of the stories that I have read about prisons like the notorious Angola in Louisiana. In these accounts, unless you had all the major symptoms, they were not classifying you as being symptomatic. Even with the cough, if that was not accompanied by a fever, you were listed as asymptomatic. For my work tracker, it asks for no less than 13 symptoms. Every day I have to say that I don't have fever, chills, cough, loss of taste, loss of smell, trouble breathing, sore throat, nausea, muscle or body aches, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, and runny nose or congestion.
My work has that list too. Every fall I have runny nose, congestion, and a slight cough (that could also make my throat scratchy) at times because of the sage party that happens along my trails. Is four symptoms enough to let me work from home again? I'm a pounded old dirt freak, my body always aches, is that five? ;)

Reactions: djpbaltimore
So as Americans we are pretty much all over the map!! Dirt is checking 4+ boxes at all times..so when his fever hits 103 everyone will say I knew it all along!!
Baltimore looking to get tested without a doctor or nurse practitioner witnessing him squirt soup..
movie theater chains announcing closures..in US( and UK)
Disney theme parks dumping @28,000 employees..
airlines getting ready for a @17,000 person contraction..
US President says everything is fine as he gets airlifted to military hospital oxygen treatments and experimental drug treatment..
White House says everything is fine and that is with 20+ confirmed Covid positives..top military brass working in pajamas instead of the Pentagon because of infection..
so we have made it full circle again..
If you want to know who should go to work,to school,to a bar or restaurant, into a movie theater..get into an airplane..a bus,train..baseball game..
Test people..identify who is sick and who is not,basic stuff,hard work..
And the comments about European heard immunity is silly, masks and distancing,closure or restrictions on groups like stadiums and pubs,all logical prevention and protection measures that let the virus crawl into a community instead of washing over the population like a death wave..
If we had the promised testing we would have the beginnings of a strategy instead of being mired in stupidity and broken promises..if a U.S. Government official(s) promised testing and we don't have it 8 months in..prison,water boarding and or battery cables to the bag is a start..if the guilty doesn't have a bag,find a fleshy flap to attach the cables before application of the voltage..
This is criminal what is happening

So as Americans we are pretty much all over the map!! Dirt is checking 4+ boxes at all times..so when his fever hits 103 everyone will say I knew it all along!!
Baltimore looking to get tested without a doctor or nurse practitioner witnessing him squirt soup..
movie theater chains announcing closures..in US( and UK)
Disney theme parks dumping @28,000 employees..
airlines getting ready for a @17,000 person contraction..
US President says everything is fine as he gets airlifted to military hospital oxygen treatments and experimental drug treatment..
White House says everything is fine and that is with 20+ confirmed Covid positives..top military brass working in pajamas instead of the Pentagon because of infection..
so we have made it full circle again..
If you want to know who should go to work,to school,to a bar or restaurant, into a movie theater..get into an airplane..a bus,train..baseball game..
Test people..identify who is sick and who is not,basic stuff,hard work..
And the comments about European heard immunity is silly, masks and distancing,closure or restrictions on groups like stadiums and pubs,all logical prevention and protection measures that let the virus crawl into a community instead of washing over the population like a death wave..
If we had the promised testing we would have the beginnings of a strategy instead of being mired in stupidity and broken promises..if a U.S. Government official(s) promised testing and we don't have it 8 months in..prison,water boarding and or battery cables to the bag is a start..if the guilty doesn't have a bag,find a fleshy flap to attach the cables before application of the voltage..
This is criminal what is happening
We have to take our temp before we swipe our ID to enter (mine has been 96-97 since mid Aug.

If you are a scientist being 'interesting' at the expense of being accurate, you are failing to communicate responsibly. Mikovits was also very 'interesting' in Plandemic. He is a microbiologist. The lack of immunology training is telling. That was evident when he claimed that a vaccine will be mostly just for older people. And whatever his points about T cells are, the numbers flat out don't indicate that there is herd immunity anywhere. You can like what he is saying, but what he is saying is far from accurate.
Bhakdi's had training in virology & immunology - he's published many articles in those fields. And he's trained something like 12,000 doctors in his illustrious career:

You're just exasperated at a world-renowned scientist, and one of the most cited researchers in German history, telling the truth about the impending coronavirus vaccine - something the MSM wouldn't touch.

Here in an interview with "One Radio Network" (in English), Bhakdi discusses the problems he sees with the vaccines. For one, he says it takes at least 5 yrs to develope a safe & effective vaccine of any kind (it took Offit something like 10 yrs to develope the rotavirus vaccine). Two, he says vaccines for respiratory viruses are not that effective anyway. He doesn't think healthy people under 70 without any pre-existing conditions need a coronavirus vaccine (he says he's not taking one).

Starts @ 50 mins in:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUmmkkz5Fmw&app=desktop

And look at some of the problems already occurring in the trials:

And any coronavirus vaccine finally developed may be ineffective for one of the higher risk groups; the obese!

The vaccine "vision" has become so politicized with Trump's "Operation Warp Speed" - throw tons of $$$ at pharma to get something quickly out there, whether ineffective and/or unsafe, just to appease the American people. And don't forget Trump appointed Hahn as the FDA commissioner - so there could be some persuasion (and more funding) to get something prematurely approved (nah..he wouldn't try to coerce the FDA. Lol).

Last edited:
He can have his opinions, but just know that his opinions are not accurate. There is no rule that it takes 5 years to make a safe vaccine. IMO, he is using his position to make inaccurate claims as an 'authority' knowing that most people will take his word as gospel. Again, explain how a specific vaccine can't possibly be effective at immunity, but a distantly related virus can be. That is his stated position and it is totally unsupported by logic and evidence at this stage. But, we will see soon enough about the effectiveness of the vaccine.

As for Hahn and the FDA, the companies making the vaccine are going to be around longer than any one individual. They are not likely to put out something that they think is unsafe and potentially upend their gravy train. I have posted about sketchy regulatory decisions there, but it looks like I was wrong to think that a vaccine would be pushed out too quickly. You complaining about vaccine side effects is rich considering that you have no problem with 60-80% of people in the world getting COVID-19. Just bad faith posturing pure and simple IMO.

Reactions: hrotha and jmdirt
He can have his opinions, but just know that his opinions are not accurate. There is no rule that it takes 5 years to make a safe vaccine. IMO, he is using his position to make inaccurate claims as an 'authority' knowing that most people will take his word as gospel. Again, explain how a specific vaccine can't possibly be effective at immunity, but a distantly related virus can be. That is his stated position and it is totally unsupported by logic and evidence at this stage. But, we will see soon enough about the effectiveness of the vaccine.

As for Hahn and the FDA, the companies making the vaccine are going to be around longer than any one individual. They are not likely to put out something that they think is unsafe and potentially upend their gravy train. I have posted about sketchy regulatory decisions there, but it looks like I was wrong to think that a vaccine would be pushed out too quickly. You complaining about vaccine side effects is rich considering that you have no problem with 60-80% of people in the world getting COVID-19. Just bad faith posturing pure and simple IMO.
That is a problem: people accept opinions as fact when they come from people of power and/or position (partly because those people pose them as fact). Plus, its one thing to have an opinion on food, beverage, art, color, but quite another to have one about technical/medical facts.

Reactions: djpbaltimore
I also take issue with the forums he is choosing to voice his opinions at. The easy route for a scientist is to take your claims to alternative edgelord media who will fawn over people with credentials saying things that they want to hear. If he thought that he actually had ideas with merit, he would talk to scientists in science forums. He isn't doing that, he is cruising venues where he is unchallenged.

Pubmed indicates that he hasn't published anything this year about COVID-19 or anything else. Though TBF, he is emeritus (read: retired). My lab has been shuttered for large parts of the year and I have two publications out and waiting final word on a third. His total of 55 publications is good, but far from world class. The sobriquet 'world renowned' is dubious as I had never heard of him. I doubt he ever had much of a footprint outside of Germany then or now. Him being editor of a third tier medical journal is decent work, but again not something of a world class stature. And not surprisingly, a lot of his publications ended up at that very journal that he had a personal relationship with. Some have gotten published in second tier journals like J. Infect Dis, Blood, and J Biol Chem, but that is to be expected of most scientists.