• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 181 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sure there won't be any forced vaccinations. Instead there will soon be a fight over who gets it and who doesn't and I have to say that at least concerning Germany I am surprised that there isn't a larger discussion about it.
They say people in the high risk group first - while saying that's about 40% of the population. So who of those gets it first? I don't see any discussion at all about it. Don't know if there are plans, somewhere, but since it could be happening in one month, I am surprised. Then people who are working in the health system (which I don't get, really, I would definitely vaccinate those first (those that want to, of course, but that should be the large, large majority). Just getting a vaccine for these people will take its time. Next are other system-relevant persons, especially policemen and teachers, I'd say.

When everyone who wants a dosis, has gotten it, the governments won't press for a mandatory vaccination, because, realistically, they are not interested in people's lifes, they are interested in being elected again and not have any uprisings. So when they can point to the possibility of getting vaccinated, they won't have a reason to enforce anything.
Agree with this. Despite all the talk of whether it should be mandatory, it will be a long time until there is enough vaccine to give it to all the people who want it. Moderna has consistently revised their promised delivery downwards.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Well, extreme opinions seem to be the mainstream in the US these days. Everything is politicized. The media likes "clear" stories and soundbites, pitting opposing views, etc. That makes it rather difficult to relay a complex story or stories with caveats. For example, not many people seem to understand how science works. "Fauci once doubted face masks, now he's pro - that's not right!" Seems education needs to be improved - a lot.

In the context of holding a leader criminally liable for every covid death in the USA, which is what the Fauci mask opinion/policy was getting at, I’ll say you are 100% correct: Education needs to improve - a lot.

Agree with this. Despite all the talk of whether it should be mandatory, it will be a long time until there is enough vaccine to give it to all the people who want it. Moderna has consistently revised their promised delivery downwards.

This is what I believe. To add, I think it will likely be a couple years before everyone who want a vaccine is able to get one. Further, I think coverage percentage... at least in the US, will be multiples of what we see every year with flu shots.

Reactions: Merckx index
Blue Roads points will be ignored,no matter how logical
..the initial vaccine offered in the United States will be 20 million doses..and another company claims the ability to produce @40 million a month by March\April .

So there will not be enough supply for the demand, and as with other things directly or indirectly Covid related, the demand is crushing the supply, testing,PPE, nurses,doctors,disinfectant wipes,toilet paper...all have huge demand and an inadequate supply.
it's really strange in the US..half the population publicly says that they don't want it,don't need it,but are quick to say it's plentiful.
The other half wants it,can't get it and says that it is in short supply.
In a complete cultural shift in my opinion, as a boy growing up in Arizona,attending public elementary schools, you needed a vaccination written record on file with the school in order to enroll and attend classes. So while there is ongoing discussions about vaccinations, mandatory or required. Vaccination has long been a community standard in most of America. Many Americans have a scar or mark on their arm as a stamp of participation.
I personally believe that children that are not vaccinated for the majors, like polio, TB, ect, should be allowed to go to school,but be in a separate facility including playground and lunch room.
And as a society this has always been the issue,segregation for health.
A city by city, line up the citizens,test them identify at that time who is positive and who is not and have an action plan for both groups and an action plan for transition between the two groups. If we would have put intense,immediate,110% effort into identifying who is infected and who is not 9 months ago..none of this would have happened.
It is really hard for me to accept the reality of some basics like toilet paper,disinfectant wipes and face masks..the rest of the world, citizens of the United States wrongfully assumed that by now nothing would be in short supply..
So my grand plans for testing are pie in the sky dreamland ..we can't get toilet paper supply problems solved..I blame on golf.

Reactions: jmdirt
And talk of criminal negligence on Covid deaths and information \ misinformation!! 50 separate states and the territories, international borders w Canada and Mexico..Nobody at the federal government saw a benefit from a central agency as the primary source of information?
confusion and lying was the plan. Trump even said so.the only thing you can take away is personal,if you think lying and misleading people is ok. Full stop.
when Trump explained the lies he had told to Bob Woodward and others, he said it was done to help and protect people from panic and themselves..
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5B_1OafO0

• Sad
The U.S. President lying about the Covid-19 virus is not in dispute. The issue is if you think that the lying was ok or not.

Are these lies?

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

“But it’s something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously... It isn’t something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about. Because we have ways of preparing and screening of people coming in [from China]. And we have ways of responding - like we did with this one case in Seattle, Washington, who had traveled to China and brought back the infection.”

We should have had POTUS scaring the sh** out of everybody. It would have been sooo much better.
The other option was to look at history. But the underlying theme is to lie as a natural reaction to everything..remember even needed a Sharpie to alter reality of a storm.
And the need for food,basic food for families..that scares the fvckin, schit out of people..w and without the virus. There is no excuse for letting people starve and suffer,go hungry and instead play golf and go from courtroom to courtroom getting your azz handed to you.
Contempt for your citizens..people need help, not golf video

I mean what else would you do with a quarter million dead of your countrymen,cases skyrocketing and the public desperate for accurate information?

Clearly he should give a presser and tell all Americans we are doomed, everyone will get C19 eventually and that we are all going to die someday.

Inspiring stuff right there. Is that the kind of truth you are looking for?

Masks are done,shown to work world wide..but if you want to debate if leaving your windows up or down at the carwash helps prevent "droplets" from wrecking your interior..ok ..put on that red thinking ball cap and explain the value and benefits of washing the inside of your car at the same time as the outside.
Afterall..at this point press conference after press conference forcing an alternate reality about cancerous windmills, toilets that need to be flushed 10 times and shower heads and dishwashers that would only work correctly if Big Orange plumbing helps you..
Those hats will be at the 99¢ store midday January 20th!!!

Clearly he should give a presser and tell all Americans we are doomed, everyone will get C19 eventually and that we are all going to die someday.

Inspiring stuff right there. Is that the kind of truth you are looking for?
Presser saying doomed..nah just need to say I misspoke..there are not tests for everyone who wants one..
masks and not going to stadium are logical prevention steps.
Like w STDs,TBcancer, athletes foot,head lice,crabs..know your status!! Get tested..know your status,for you,for your family,for your fellow citizens..
know your status.
No need to admit lying, just say that there were a few typos in the other press releases..for a guy that misspelled his wife's name, constitution, it's totally believable to most people..
Added blame bonus..you can blame all the presser blunders on someone who is fired..again a boatload of possibilities.
The American people are smart, they can process the truth..they can handle the truth..
Jack Nicholson 1992

Another reasonable thing that can be said to America and the world
"We tried this every state for themselves thing,the 50 different approach method, that didn't work, so we are going to an old-school style, 1 basic plan for everyone and we will tweek that as needed!!"
Did I say tweek..might have meant tweet..
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMvbei8rNk

and I agree with disrespecting the flag.. Covid did not cause me to develop bone spurs..

I have posted before that leaders have mis-sold the effective use of masks - COVID is mainly spread with prolonged contact in indoor environments - As a society we want to be seen to be doing the right thing, so wearing masks in outdoor environments which the public can see, suggests you re making an effort, even though this is a low risk environment - Except the fact is that people don't wear masks in a number of indoor environments which are high-risk settings, including when visiting friends and family and even at work.

This is what I believe. To add, I think it will likely be a couple years before everyone who want a vaccine is able to get one. Further, I think coverage percentage... at least in the US, will be multiples of what we see every year with flu shots.
Likely be sooner than that once the j&j trial finishes in early 2021. It is single dose and would help immensely. Basically, the more pipelines, the quicker it will be.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Likely be sooner than that once the j&j trial finishes in early 2021. It is single dose and would help immensely. Basically, the more pipelines, the quicker it will be.

I was talking with one of my friends in Spain and he told me that the hope there is that half the population of Spain will be vaccinated by May.

I agree with that the more vaccines that work well and are approved the sooner more people can be vaccinated.

Currently we have Pfizer already applying for EUA, Moderna should be next, and AstraZenica should be applying by the end of this year. Then J&J hopefully in January.

Reactions: Keram and jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS