Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 336 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My sister works in a hospital in a so far (in the 4th wave) lesser affected area of Germany and they have started to delay "projectable" operations again, like everywhere in Germany. Means operations including cancer patients and heart conditions. She says most of those patients can actually wait one or two more months, but it is extremely stressful if you have cancer and know it is spreading in your body and you have to wait...
in the US our system is very very different. Our system is primarily a for profit hospital network,often named for the affiliated insurance company. Our hospitals are extremely controlled and effective,efficient..would probably surprise a German or other Westerners..you go in for a surgery, the insurance company is the primary driver of everything, the doctor can have an opinion but ultimately,it's the insurance company that determines what you get and when, w high limit parameters on what will be paid by insurance,that includes child birth to cancer.
Covid turned the business model upside down with the federal government taking on the primary payment method for most Covid related treatment.
another reason that this is significant, doctors, hospitals and administration all tell of crazy confusing maze of time consuming hassles trying to get paid by insurance. In Germany there are many combinations for sure, with many people with additional private insurance.
so part of many Covid, closure conspiracy theories hinges on the fact that the government has deep pockets and by all reports was easier to get payment from than insurance companies and also rumored different, the government didn't scrutinize the billing as closely..very very believable, and we now have thousands of examples of everyone from prisoners,politicians and millionaires, and huge corporations getting millions in Covid aid money.
very wide spread fraud.
In the United States, there is not much news about people committing fraud to get government Covid,and money

Lol. I'll take the under.

I really disagree with this premise. If you don't isolate public health experts from political winds you end up with guys like Scott Atlas. They need to have the power to recommend unpopular policies.
I read this reply and your others - I am afraid you still don't get it. I thought I made it very clear that I know lockdowns are a necessary evil? I know masks are a necessary evil. But public health "experts" play politics so absolutely they should be exposed to political winds whether they like it or not. Everyone should be accountable. Everyone.

But sympathy and empathy is what public health "experts" really don't get. I hope and prey that the trillions of dollars of debt bought back in an enormous global economic gamble don't impoverish all of the developed world in the years ahead. Public health "experts" will be largely immune should this unfold.

When private business is destroyed where is the concern of public health "experts"? Where is the concern of public health "experts" for mental health? My eldest son just studied through his senior high school exams in atrocious circumstances - lockdowns, attend school classes, don't attend school classes, social isolation from his friends, massive disruption. So where was the sympathy and empathy by health bureaucrats and the politicians who champion them? I am not sure about America but in Australia it was largely non existent. Public health "experts" are frankly clueless on these matters - someone else's problem. Relative to life, they are experts in a narrow field which it itself has developed through the pandemic.

And you should know that a health bureaucrat in Australia who no doubt studied medicine half her life demonized AZ vaccine which is a big reason why our country lagged the vaccine rollout at the beginning. So much for infallible health bureaucrats.

*Omicron reinfections suggests that prior infection is ~75% protective against an Omicron infection.

There was/is a triple-vaxxed Israeli doc quoted saying he (believed) he caught it in the UK . But probably light (or no??) symptoms. Sorry, don't recall anymore.

Lighter infection is good, though time will tell if that also applies to potential long covid cases, not just deaths and ICU cases.
Is this what you're referring to? There were two (2) docs that were triple-vaxxed:

Reactions: dusty red roads
What's the relevance of linking a TV report that is 11 days ago - Especially, seeing that it was 2 days after the notification of Omnicron and there is much more new information.
Lots of people would call it a baseline..and some call it history,others name it data...here's an old video that nobody, thought was important or relevant..turns out we could have learned lots from history..
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VCFJPDqKPgc

Mar 20, 2021
For sure he is the administrative front for the US health initiative. It can't be lost on anyone here that mixed messages don't help the effort so he would aim at defined, simple recommendations. Contrast that to Scott Atlas who echoed what the prior administration rolled out daily for alternative measures and treatments all the while compromising the now very accepted vaccine treatments.
Add to that the constant anti-vax drumbeat in the US and elsewhere as well as the imagineering of a pharma/political/software program that allegedly includes vaccine markers/monitor robots (or "kill switches" as one old friend offered) and you have muddied water. Of course we want the new, evolving information but punishing the present efforts with old information as knowledge is gained is just stupid. It also is self-serving to those that would gain power by tearing down the effort solely to gain power.
I gave one example as to why I ignore fauci. Then a few deflect the complaints about fauci with what about atlas. Atlas is not on tv all the time like fauci atlas was full of crap then and now. Fauci is an attention seaker. He was doing interviews with politicians trying to decide who was going to play each of them in movies. losers.

I stand against any health apartheid also.
I stand against any health apartheid also.
Not sure I disagree with you. We need solutions not separation. The idea that walls, isolation are solutions for Covid is comical..and the restraining orders arbitrarily enacted against S.Africa and others is counterproductive..so this thing were might is right and the US makes a dramatic financial decision that will damage S. Africa and others..is cruel.
But what solution works for the Netherlands,US and S Africa? I don't know the answer..but I don't know how you form an emergency working group for new Covid variant between @6-8 counties..how does that look?
I have this sneaking suspicion that..don't do anything is coming..

The other thing that is not in the American lexicon is the effect on children..In the current conversation,many of the talking points are something like,kids are immune and that they are not in harms way...which again maybe true to date,but the new variant may change things, or maybe the next variant,or the next or...so having your guard down doesn't strike me as intelligent towards kids..

Reactions: Ultrairon
Mar 20, 2021
Not sure I disagree with you. We need solutions not separation. The idea that walls, isolation are solutions for Covid is comical..and the restraining orders arbitrarily enacted against S.Africa and others is counterproductive..so this thing were might is right and the US makes a dramatic financial decision that will damage S. Africa and others..is cruel.
But what solution works for the Netherlands,US and S Africa? I don't know the answer..but I don't know how you form an emergency working group for new Covid variant between @6-8 counties..how does that look?
I have this sneaking suspicion that..don't do anything is coming..

The other thing that is not in the American lexicon is the effect on children..In the current conversation,many of the talking points are something like,kids are immune and that they are not in harms way...which again maybe true to date,but the new variant may change things, or maybe the next variant,or the next or...so having your guard down doesn't strike me as intelligent towards kids..
Health authorities say omicron is re-infecting some people who have been vaccinated, but mostly their symptoms are not severe.

One of the country’s top epidemiologists, Salim Abdool Karim, told VOA that current vaccines should provide “good protection” against omicron.

I gave one example as to why I ignore fauci. Then a few deflect the complaints about fauci with what about atlas. Atlas is not on tv all the time like fauci atlas was full of crap then and now. Fauci is an attention seaker. He was doing interviews with politicians trying to decide who was going to play each of them in movies. losers.
He was doing interviews because he was the one member of the team who had the public's trust.

This was a great takedown of rfkII. At the end of the day, a big reason antivaxxers exist is because it is really lucrative.

The first bit of high quality omicron data surfaces. Alot of immune escape, but suggests that boosting will be very helpful.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/_b_meyer/status/1468319835012673549

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Mar 20, 2021
He was doing interviews because he was the one member of the team who had the public's trust.

This was a great takedown of rfkII. At the end of the day, a big reason antivaxxers exist is because it is really lucrative.

The first bit of high quality omicron data surfaces. Alot of immune escape, but suggests that boosting will be very helpful.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/_b_meyer/status/1468319835012673549
Fauci the failure first with Aids and now covid.

Robert Kennedy and his book gets people all worked up on both sides. Me I take the vaccines the world has and hope for the best. Its better than going anti.

Lots or info out now that omnicron is less transmissible than Delta. Also it is a mild version of the disease. All good news.

Latest news in federal courts is that the federal vax contractor mandate was halted in the USA.

Health authorities say omicron is re-infecting some people who have been vaccinated, but mostly their symptoms are not severe.

One of the country’s top epidemiologists, Salim Abdool Karim, told VOA that current vaccines should provide “good protection” against omicron.
I am assuming that most posters here on not frontline lab researchers, working to compile data about Covid virus mutations,health outcomes for those infected, Your post is valid on all levels and growing group of pros are finding things similarly to Karim.
Dirts post below and other subject matter experts almost all agree on a few key things, sharing of data,and the speed in which data is tabulated and made available,in days and weeks,were previously data sharing had a dramatically different time line and often a for profit component that made the data value in question for future drug or therapy development. So holding on to the rights of scientific formulas is still normal, the overall amount of data being shared is extraordinary as well as how it is peer reviewed in almost real time,never before in history..for the benefit of all

ASK THE COMMUNITY