Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is the absolute best post every, I agree with it 100%. But irony throughout,you posted previously that testing was like some kind of medical confetti, everywhere,could not avoid stepping on a free available,fast turn around test..fast,free,accurate,available testing wasn't available 2 years ago as it was promised, and full ground hog day,still not available.

Few funny tweets about Antonio Brown running off the field because he was late for his Covid vaccine appointment!!

The world is readying itself for Covid protests. Here in the United States,leaders saying out loud, that the country should be divided into believe in the vaccine and virus and another separate country Ununited States where history is written as to the make believe nature of the last 2 years.

I saw videos of Amsterdam protests..minor league, we will show the world the Super Bowl of Covid protests
Covid protests have been going on for months now even in countries like Australia who have so far escaped what some other countries have had to go through. Most of the protests seemed to be about lockdowns and Australia is no longer doing that. Testing seems to be a problem in many countries now cause Omicron is outstripping the testing resources and they can't keep pace with the infection rate.

Yes I know you’ve told me you are a pessimist :). All I have been doing is trying to inject some balance here based upon what we are seeing in Australia and confirmed by people who should know.

I think we should hold fort on our conclusions until more data confirms the impact as I think it’s “early days”. I remain optimistic the impact on health systems will start to wane. In some metrics eg ICU admissions it already is despite the scary case counts.
I might have already pointed out your emphasis on ICU hospitalizations so sorry if this is a repeat, but 100 new patients is 100 more patients. I know the difference in general care versus ICU care so I don't need to be told about that, but at this point many hospitals just don't have the staff to deal with more patients, period. Obviously if 90 of the 100 only need basic care its easier than if 90 of them need ICU, but you still need the people to provide the care.

I will see if I can find the story I saw about a week ago from Kansas (I think) where two nurses were caring for 60 patients with SC2 at a non ICU level while six nurses were caring for 32 at ICU level. I don't care if its SC2 or anything else, two nurses for 60 patients, six for32 ICU patients! There was also a really low number of docs overseeing the nurses/cases (four over two shifts I think), but four of the six were highly qualified RNs.

I know that not all areas are not like this but many are.

I might have already pointed out your emphasis on ICU hospitalizations so sorry if this is a repeat, but 100 new patients is 100 more patients. I know the difference in general care versus ICU care so I don't need to be told about that, but at this point many hospitals just don't have the staff to deal with more patients, period. Obviously if 90 of the 100 only need basic care its easier than if 90 of them need ICU, but you still need the people to provide the care.

I will see if I can find the story I saw about a week ago from Kansas (I think) where two nurses were caring for 60 patients with SC2 at a non ICU level while six nurses were caring for 32 at ICU level. I don't care if its SC2 or anything else, two nurses for 60 patients, six for32 ICU patients! There was also a really low number of docs overseeing the nurses/cases (four over two shifts I think), but four of the six were highly qualified RNs.

Starting to hear more stories about non covid patients having their treatments delayed or being sent home early post treatment due to the Covid numbers. Medical staff infections just making it worse. I

Starting to hear more stories about non covid patients having their treatments delayed or being sent home early post treatment due to the Covid numbers. Medical staff infections just making it worse. I
Yep. My sister had to have surgery (long story and she has a lot of health issues) and it was basically she needed emergency surgery at one specific hospital because the only other one in the entire region wouldn't touch it because they didn't do the original surgery. The hospital she had to go to stopped taking patients for in patient non emergency surgery and there was a fear that if they sent her to that emergency room to be admitted she wouldn't be. So they kept her at the hospital she originally went to until they could get her into the one where she could get the surgery. Basically she waited for about 12 hours to get a transfer. Yes she would have died without the surgery. She was sent home with in 48 hours of the surgery. This happened over Christmas. This is the Cleveland, Ohio part of the country. The hospital in the city my sister lives in doesn't have anyone capable of doing the surgery she needed so she had to be sent to either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. The original surgery having been done in Cleveland the Pittsburgh hospital wouldn't touch it.

Covid protests have been going on for months now even in countries like Australia who have so far escaped what some other countries have had to go through. Most of the protests seemed to be about lockdowns and Australia is no longer doing that. Testing seems to be a problem in many countries now cause Omicron is outstripping the testing resources and they can't keep pace with the infection rate.
You would think all the countries would have been proactive on testing availability but NO they rested on their bureaucratic and elected fat back sides.
Everyone believed that the Vax stopped the virus in its tracks. As seen from many media sources in the USA. Yet here we are. We got clowns thumbs uping deaths and hospitalizations cheering as if this is a football game. Celebrating the non vaxed deaths and demise. Sad to watch people who are supposed to care do such behavior.

covid related and down right depressing. Went for a long run today and I saw along the way a min of 15 masks dropped on streets and public parks. The pro non effective mask crew here need to get to work on policing the waste you are promoting. Do better be better. Stop the Mask litter.

This guy wears a face mask a SHIELD and was triple vaxed. How is this even possible? over 98% vaxed in the military 99% in government. Still got it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2022/01/03/1069894911/defense-secretary-lloyd-austin-covid-19

Point being all of the lecturing about the vax and we still have this result. Why act like and publicly say the vax would stop the virus in its tracks? That was foolish yet here we are.

It helps and everyone should get the vax that can. Why act like its the end when they knew what the real science revealed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15

Thanks. I'll admit I am reading similar stories here. Hospitals are certainly on their limits. But I guess what am comparing is the ratio of hospital admissions to the spiraling case counts. On this basis omicron is massively less virulent. Or perhaps as others have raised this is thanks to vaccination rather actual virulence of the virus but we will see.

Also, I think its worthwhile posting the definition of virulence as I think some get this wrong:-

the severity or harmfulness of a disease or poison
The measure of severity is the proportion of total Covid-19 cases that end up hospitalized or in ICU. In my country where omicron is now dominant the hospitalizations are rising but at a far lower rate than cases. The percentage of cases hospitalized has fallen dramatically as compared to delta. That doesn't mean hospitals are not overwhelmed as obviously they are. It also has nothing to do with transmissibility (total case counts).

There are stories now circulating that the massive case spike is only temporary. Now I am sure that is yet to be confirmed is mainly from what I could read based upon South Africa. But we will see. In a week or so we should know. I am also quite sure the total cases is grossly under estimated - see next paragraph.

Due to the huge rise in cases here, testing can't cope. I had a PCR test last Wednesday due to a close contact. The expected turnaround time was 48 hours. It is now 6 days and no word :(. Technically I am supposed to self isolate. That is very difficult when you don't know how long before your result will come back. I am feeling 100% fine by the way (my riding is unaffected but I can't see people including my elderly parents who are also in good health).

Re Oz - from this article, Delta still the majority of serious cases in NSW:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-04/nsw-records-highest-hospitalisation-and-covid-cases/100736056
"The number of patients in intensive care rose to 105, up from 95 the day before, with 27 people requiring ventilation.

"NSW Health has revealed 72 per cent of COVID positive patients admitted to ICU since December 16 were infected with the Delta variant of the virus, not the Omicron strain.

"Of those patients, 62 per cent were not vaccinated or had received only one dose of a vaccine.

"At last year's peak, however, the number of people in ICU was significantly higher at 242 patients, 112 of whom were on ventilators."

Australia today 47,000 recorded infections and 4 deaths - Going pro-rata this is the equivalent of around 120,000 cases in the UK and nearly 750,000 cases in the USA.
And that’s just the cases recorded - I think the true case count must be much higher. In my case it is now 7 days since I was tested …. still no result? I suspect I am not alone, they are swamped with tests and are struggling to cope.

ASK THE COMMUNITY