• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tests that take a week, 10 days, two weeks to get results are useless. Hopefully if people feel sick enough to get a test they isolate themselves while waiting for the result. Those test results are also useless in compiling data. How do you even report a 14 day old result? The person might be recovered, dead, or somewhere in between!

I'll let people point the finger at whoever they want, but at four months in, this should be sorted out so that people get results within 24 hours.

Coronavirus: Pathologist found blood clots in 'almost every organ' during autopsies on patients

Autopsies on people who died of the coronavirus are helping doctors understand how the disease affects the body - and one of the most remarkable findings concerned blood clotting, a pathologist says.
Amy Rapkiewicz, the chairman of the department of pathology at New York University Langone Medical Centre, spoke to Erin Burnett on CNN's OutFront.
Some COVID-19 patients are known to develop blood clotting issues, but the degree and the extent to which that occurs was described as "dramatic" by Rapkiewicz.

In the early stages of the pandemic, bedside clinicians noticed a lot of blood clotting "in lines and various large vessels," she said.
READ MORE: Scientists growing artificial lungs to probe COVID-19
Researchers say the extent of blood clotting found in coronavirus fatalities was 'dramatic'. (Associated Press)
"What we saw at autopsy was sort of an extension of that," she said. "The clotting was not only in the large vessels but also in the smaller vessels.
"And this was dramatic, because though we might have expected it in the lungs, we found it in almost every organ that we looked at in our autopsy study," she said.

Rapkiewicz's study outlining her findings was published at the end of June in The Lancet journal EClinicalMedicine.
The autopsies also showed something unusual about megakaryocytes, or large bone marrow cells. They usually don't circulate outside the bones and lungs, Rapkiewicz said.
"We found them in the heart and the kidneys and the liver and other organs," she said. "Notably in the heart, megakaryocytes produce something called platelets that are intimately involved in blood clotting."
Researchers hope to discover how these cells influence small vessel clotting in COVID-19, she said.
A megakaryocyte is a large cell in the bone marrow. (American Society of Hematology) (Supplied)
Pathologists have been surprised by something they didn't find.
During early stages of the pandemic, doctors thought the virus would provoke inflammation in the heart with myocarditis, she said.
But autopsies have found a very low incidents of myocarditis, Rapkiewicz said.
She said that one of the "opportunities -- if there is one to count in the virus" is that pathologists have had a chance to examine the organs of many COVID-19 victims and investigate the disease processes that take place. She said that opportunity really wasn't available with H1N1 or the original SARS outbreak.

Reactions: jmdirt
The is ever growing evidence that Covid19 may have dramatic short and long term vascular,neurologic and respiratory problems in those contrasting the virus at a very wide variation of the sickness..some people who have a sore throat for 4+ months.bone and joint soreness 6 months later..
Kawasaki like symptoms in kids are worrisome.
but I see infrastructure and architecture being the biggest problems for children returning to school. Current schools w classrooms,bathrooms and common areas never designed for social distancing. Lunch rooms,again not normally a place where children eating could be six feet apart.
Transportation!! Buses and trains..disaster on every level,cleanliness and space,each student be transported in a vehicle driven by an adult,going shopping,to work,to another school,to a venue for sports or music or dance class..sounds like a super mixer transportation network for the virus and uncontrollable spread.
I tend to think that kids currently look to be less at risk,but the entire culture,the educational system is based on adult child interactions..need systems in place to ensure that everyone involved is virus free..
My personal opinion is that America's current approach is the ground work to create something similar to antibiotic resistant diseases but for Covid..kind of micro spread,semi inoculation never achievement of full immunity and strengthening the virus through mutations that are interconnected to our activities..
Still very early to tell w still less than @10% of the US exposed yet

Today went apartment hunting for where my husband is starting a new job. (Did find an apartment, so successful in that). One big thing I noticed is where we are moving a lot higher percentage of people are wearing face coverings, than where I'm currently living. Both places are in the same state.

Coronavirus: Pathologist found blood clots in 'almost every organ' during autopsies on patients

Autopsies on people who died of the coronavirus are helping doctors understand how the disease affects the body - and one of the most remarkable findings concerned blood clotting, a pathologist says.
Amy Rapkiewicz, the chairman of the department of pathology at New York University Langone Medical Centre, spoke to Erin Burnett on CNN's OutFront.
Some COVID-19 patients are known to develop blood clotting issues, but the degree and the extent to which that occurs was described as "dramatic" by Rapkiewicz.

In the early stages of the pandemic, bedside clinicians noticed a lot of blood clotting "in lines and various large vessels," she said.
READ MORE: Scientists growing artificial lungs to probe COVID-19
Researchers say the extent of blood clotting found in coronavirus fatalities was 'dramatic'. (Associated Press)
"What we saw at autopsy was sort of an extension of that," she said. "The clotting was not only in the large vessels but also in the smaller vessels.
"And this was dramatic, because though we might have expected it in the lungs, we found it in almost every organ that we looked at in our autopsy study," she said.

Rapkiewicz's study outlining her findings was published at the end of June in The Lancet journal EClinicalMedicine.
The autopsies also showed something unusual about megakaryocytes, or large bone marrow cells. They usually don't circulate outside the bones and lungs, Rapkiewicz said.
"We found them in the heart and the kidneys and the liver and other organs," she said. "Notably in the heart, megakaryocytes produce something called platelets that are intimately involved in blood clotting."
Researchers hope to discover how these cells influence small vessel clotting in COVID-19, she said.
A megakaryocyte is a large cell in the bone marrow. (American Society of Hematology) (Supplied)
Pathologists have been surprised by something they didn't find.
During early stages of the pandemic, doctors thought the virus would provoke inflammation in the heart with myocarditis, she said.
But autopsies have found a very low incidents of myocarditis, Rapkiewicz said.
She said that one of the "opportunities -- if there is one to count in the virus" is that pathologists have had a chance to examine the organs of many COVID-19 victims and investigate the disease processes that take place. She said that opportunity really wasn't available with H1N1 or the original SARS outbreak.
I wonder if blood thinners (anticoagulant/antiplatelets) will become part of the treatment regimen?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NgaojwQ3hc

This is a semi related tidbit for Koronin, and in San Diego which is about @1.5 million in population..East county is a stand out in non mask wearing and disproportionately affected by mask related protests\arguments \conflicts..
All Americans should have some idea about eviction forecasts for the US in general. It will have some effect on public health as people experience some level of housing instability \ homelessness. It seems difficult if not impossible to predict Covid 19 behavior into the fall and winter. Early info suggestions were that the virus would escalate like seasonal flu and SARS..not in stand alone disease characteristics but instead that as the seasons change we spend more time indoors where it looks like transmissions accelerate.
I hope that an overall federal government strategy can be enacted in some way to avoid massive evictions and related homelessness on a national scale. Most tiny to enormous municipal governments are not equipped to handle another Covid variable on this scale.

Back to Florida for those waiting for consequences of uneven "reopening" : 15k new cases...in one day. Of course there is more testing so there is "more testing" which means whatever political interest spins the results. The Governor still does not mandate masks and Disney's theme parks are rolling.
I watched the Mayor of Orlando, Buddy Dyer, admittedly a season ticket holder for Disneyworld (how many times can you go to Small World?) wholeheartedly endorse their operational precautions. "Who better than Disney?" If that's true, someone should contract them to start schools and businesses. I guess we'll know in several weeks if anyone tracks the whereabouts of the visitors.

I am a big fan of pepperoncini's. Other than heartburn, I guess that's a good thing.

Study links fermented vegetable consumption to low COVID-19 mortality

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...le-consumption-to-low-COVID-19-mortality.aspx
Interesting. There is a lot of research out there about fermented/pickled food and a healthy gut so it makes sense that it could improve the immune system as well.

When I was in the Army a friend's Korean wife made several varieties of kimchi, and without giving too much information, it made my gut much healthier. I've never gotten any at the store that I really like though. I do like Dave's pickles!

I'm very concerned about the rhetoric of "kids don't seem to get it/spread it as much as adults." Because we don't have data from USA kids in school, we really don't know that. Once we jam 600 kids into a building we could find out that in fact they do get it/spread it just like other age groups.
I'll pluck some quotes from this report because the rest of it is pretty political:
“Schools—not restaurants or gyms—turned out to be the country’s worst mega-infectors.”
"During the six wasted weeks, the period singled out by Sadetzki, schools were chaotically reopened and then, as infections soared, re-shuttered. "

550+ kids (under 9) in TX, 350 (under 10) in OR...all while schools aren't open.

Reactions: Unchained

this is one of 3 or 4 others I read today. Lots of surviving patients have some pretty grim stories to tell..one woman said she had some difficulty in breathing..no fever,no loss of taste or smell..painful sore throat..that was 2 and a half months ago..she still has both..other doctors reporting neurologic problems..

• Sad

TRENDING THREADS