• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently the episode is being pulled for reasons that are self explanatory. Mikovits torched her reputation with the chronic fatigue nonsense, but I am amazed at the things she says about science that are just factually untrue. Things that are easy to check too. Freedom is going on platforms with no need to anchor yourself to reality. Her and Berenson have such remarkable confidence in their own BS.

I personally don't agree with spending lots of time on coulda, shouda,woulda W Dearest Donald. As a country,we should all just be happy and grateful that we are finally coming around to the messages of social distancing and masks..yes it's late but not too late.ect
I was an early resistor to carbon fiber mountain bikes and motorcycle parts. I get reminded that from time to time by those calling me some version of an old school idiot..

This dog gets it:
dog-how-to-wear-facemask-properly-correctly.jpg

Thanks for that update. I was wondering what happened to the saliva test.

Meanwhile, we have a candidate for the worst scientific paper of the year. Every time you think misinformation can't possibly get any more outrageous:

In the paper [archived abstract, archived PDF], the authors claim that electromagnetic waves emitted by 5G technology can be absorbed by skin cells, promote the cell to make new nucleotides, and thus produce Coronaviruses.

David Icke has been the one promoting the 5G idea, but even he hasn't proposed, AFAIK, that 5G radiation could create viruses de novo. But apparently he takes this as support for his theory.

One of the authors reportedly once decapitated 400 birds, to prove that birds could live without a head. He also planted beans in birds, to create a new, hybrid form of life. I really couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

https://scienceintegritydigest.com/...MYcoR-aKNYoaXpcVnlJ3Kg20yZxoPuXTKxR2DMvRaFt_k

Thanks for that update. I was wondering what happened to the saliva test.

Meanwhile, we have a candidate for the worst scientific paper of the year. Every time you think misinformation can't possibly get any more outrageous:

David Icke has been the one promoting the 5G idea, but even he hasn't proposed, AFAIK, that 5G radiation could create viruses de novo. But apparently he takes this as support for his theory.

One of the authors reportedly once decapitated 400 birds, to prove that birds could live without a head. He also planted beans in birds, to create a new, hybrid form of life. I really couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

https://scienceintegritydigest.com/...MYcoR-aKNYoaXpcVnlJ3Kg20yZxoPuXTKxR2DMvRaFt_k
Yes, I remember hat part of science where things like virus are created by electromagnetic waves... :rolleyes:

Apparently the episode is being pulled for reasons that are self explanatory. Mikovits torched her reputation with the chronic fatigue nonsense, but I am amazed at the things she says about science that are just factually untrue. Things that are easy to check too. Freedom is going on platforms with no need to anchor yourself to reality. Her and Berenson have such remarkable confidence in their own BS.
It looks like Sinclair Broadcasting has a change of heart delaying the episode for one week for the segment to be "reworked to provide better context:"

But the conspiracy theory documentary isn't the only problem for those who advocate for censorship. Mikovitis has a blockbuster book that she & co-author Kent Heckenlively wrote that was released this past May; "Plague of Corruption: Restoring Faith in the Promise of Science."

And it doesn't help matters that RFK, Jr. forwarded the book as well as two prominent scientists, Dr. Luc Montagnier (2008 Nobel Laureate for the isolation of the HIV retrovirus) & Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Senior Research Scientist, MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory) gave positive reviews on the book. And I see YouTube is apparently allowing a video to stay up on an interview with RFK, Jr & Mikovitis on the subject of pandemics ("Perspectives on the Pandemic").

Having a NYT/USA bestseller and 100,000 followers on Twitter, I had no idea Mikovitis has this much popularity with the Covid conspiracy theorists & anti-Fauci crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: djpbaltimore
Dr. Luc has been off the deep end for the past 10 years or so himself. I am not familiar with Dr. Seneff, but part of her blurb is fairly defensible. The rest is a little paranoid.
What this book teaches you more than anything else is that science is a dangerous game. The notion that science is precise and unambiguous is wrong. When there is doubt, there is the potential for powerful interested parties to make life miserable for a scientist with integrity. Throughout the book, intrigue is seamlessly intertwined with fascinating revelations about the still poorly understood science behind the potential role of retroviruses in mysterious debilitating diseases like chronic fatigue syndrome and autism.”
The most humorous part of the book is the bio for Mikovits that notes that she has coauthored 40 papers. That sounds impressive, but in reality is no great achievement. The book compares her to Rosalind Franklin... LOL....

The plot thickens about the Miami Marlins story. On Sunday, they learn that they had a second set of players test positive before the game they are playing that afternoon. What do they do? They have a team meeting where they discuss whether they should play. Good lord, is that a stupid decision on many levels. This kind of eventuality should have an automatic contingency plan. If the opposing team got infected, the season is possibly over. I am ready to hoist the Baltimore Orioles AL East championship banners. 2-1!

Last edited:
I think Baseball is really like a microcosm of what bringing people back to workplaces will look like in the middle of a pandemic. A potential dumpster fire in progress. I enjoyed watching baseball this weekend, but it is just not sustainable.

View: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1287736207120781316

My understanding is the bio-security protocols of the American Baseball League are a long way short of the NBA - They should be doing much better if you see how other professional sports are coping with COVID19.

My understanding is the bio-security protocols of the American Baseball League are a long way short of the NBA - They should be doing much better if you see how other professional sports are coping with COVID19.
You are definitely right about that. NBA is taking it much more seriously and have a more rigorous plan. They just put that one guy in quarantine for going to the strip club. But besides having rules, you have the issue of compliance. There was a game that ended with a walk-off and they mobbed the guy at the plate. That is against the new COVID rules, but 'boys will be boys'.

On a separate issue, it should also be noted how much school and restaurant opening procedures revolve around things that are probably inconsequential. The one caveat is that I do wonder if we see more fomite transmission in the fall and winter.
View: https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1287739149890531333

At this point I think the bubble idea of the NBA and NHL is about the only way to do most sports right now. Auto racing is a bit of a different beast by it's very nature. As such was able to come back sooner. However, in their case each team is basically segregated to it's self with mask requirements and social distancing rules in place.

Dr. Luc has been off the deep end for the past 10 years or so himself. I am not familiar with Dr. Seneff, but part of her blurb is fairly defensible. The rest is a little paranoid.The most humorous part of the book is the bio for Mikovits that notes that she has coauthored 40 papers. That sounds impressive, but in reality is no great achievement. The book compares her to Rosalind Franklin... LOL....

The plot thickens about the Miami Marlins story. On Sunday, they learn that they had a second set of players test positive before the game they are playing that afternoon. What do they do? They have a team meeting where they discuss whether they should play. Good lord, is that a stupid decision on many levels. This kind of eventuality should have an automatic contingency plan. If the opposing team got infected, the season is possibly over. I am ready to hoist the Baltimore Orioles AL East championship banners. 2-1!
I guess or I hope that the NBA and NFL are paying attention.........

I don't even know how you fight against this. Google Dr. Stella Immanuel if you want to see what a bunch of kooks the people behind this video are.

View: https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/1287906751069581318
Probably flat earthers and Holocaust deniers as well...................14 million views and if a small percentage of those don't wear masks .................this drug has already been written off in numerous trials and the WHO has called it ineffective and they ceased their own trial..........drinking bleach not working either........

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS