• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Coronavirus: 14 family members test positive after party

Yahoo News Staff
Yahoo News Australia29 July 2020

More than a dozen members of the same family have contracted coronavirus after a member, who believed the virus was a hoax, hosted a party.
Tony Green, 43, from the US state of Texas, wrote in a column on LGBT news site Dallas Voice, saying he believed the virus wasn’t real.
“I thought it was going to be fine,” he told WFAA.
“We’re not really going out. We’re just spending time together, hanging out at the house, (having a) grill, you know?”
He hosted a party on June 13 and the following day woke up sick.

Tony Green, 43, said he believed coronavirus was a hoax. Source: Inside Edition
Two days later, both his husband and his parents fell ill. His in-laws Marisa and Rafael Ceja also became sick after visiting too.

On June 24, Mr Green was hospitalised after the virus attacked his central nervous system.

But staff managed to stop him having a stroke.

“My father-in-law’s mother was admitted a day later. On July 1, she died of COVID-19/pneumonia,” he wrote.

“The chaplain wanted the family to break the news to my father-in-law, and he learned how his mother lay on her deathbed and then drifted off without any family by her side, even though he was in the room next to hers.”

On July 14, the family hosted a funeral for Mr Green’s father-in-law’s mother.

Five more members of the family tested positive.

He told NBC his mother-in-law called him the same day as the funeral "crying and screaming in terror" to tell Mr Green her husband was on life support where he remains.

In total, 14 members of the family contracted the virus.

Mr Green wrote he feels guilt for not believing in the virus and for hosting the dinner party.

MrGreen and his extended family contracted the virus after having a dinner together. Source: Inside Edition
He said he has a message for those that believe COVID-19 is a hoax, saying it is “very real and extremely contagious”.

Mr Green wants people to take the virus seriously, wear masks and adhere to social distancing.

“That pool party, the mixer or family reunion you’re pushing could result in you being cold and alone in a hospital bed, fighting for your life,” he wrote.

“Imagine the only human contact you feel is a stranger’s rubber glove giving you medication, checking your vitals and changing your diaper.

“That is exactly what has happened to our family.”

So he was the source. If he was sick the day after the party, he was infected well before the party. And infectivity tends to be maximum the day before symptoms appear, so he probably gave the virus to everyone there.

Two days later, both his husband and his parents fell ill. His in-laws Marisa and Rafael Ceja also became sick after visiting too.

That's consistent with getting it from him.

Mr Green wrote he feels guilt for not believing in the virus and for hosting the dinner party.

No kidding. Unfortunately, guilt doesn't stop the virus. Fourteen infections, one death, multiple hospitalizations, And the members who got the virus and fared relatively well may have spread it to others.

At least we know that not only does the virus not distinguish between straights and gays, neither does virus ignorance.

I don't even know how you fight against this. Google Dr. Stella Immanuel if you want to see what a bunch of kooks the people behind this video are.

OMFG. I just saw a video of her. She claims women can get pregnant in their dreams by someone who they dream about. How did we reach the point where scientific ignorance has reached such a nadir that the President of the U.S. is speaking so highly of such a charlatan?

Last edited:
Coronavirus: 14 family members test positive after party

Yahoo News Staff
Yahoo News Australia29 July 2020

More than a dozen members of the same family have contracted coronavirus after a member, who believed the virus was a hoax, hosted a party.
Tony Green, 43, from the US state of Texas, wrote in a column on LGBT news site Dallas Voice, saying he believed the virus wasn’t real.
“I thought it was going to be fine,” he told WFAA.
“We’re not really going out. We’re just spending time together, hanging out at the house, (having a) grill, you know?”

Tony Green, 43, said he believed coronavirus was a hoax. Source: Inside Edition

On June 24, Mr Green was hospitalised after the virus attacked his central nervous system.

But staff managed to stop him having a stroke.

“My father-in-law’s mother was admitted a day later. On July 1, she died of COVID-19/pneumonia,” he wrote.

“The chaplain wanted the family to break the news to my father-in-law, and he learned how his mother lay on her deathbed and then drifted off without any family by her side, even though he was in the room next to hers.”

On July 14, the family hosted a funeral for Mr Green’s father-in-law’s mother.

Five more members of the family tested positive.

He told NBC his mother-in-law called him the same day as the funeral "crying and screaming in terror" to tell Mr Green her husband was on life support where he remains.

In total, 14 members of the family contracted the virus.

MrGreen and his extended family contracted the virus after having a dinner together. Source: Inside Edition
He said he has a message for those that believe COVID-19 is a hoax, saying it is “very real and extremely contagious”.

Mr Green wants people to take the virus seriously, wear masks and adhere to social distancing.

“That pool party, the mixer or family reunion you’re pushing could result in you being cold and alone in a hospital bed, fighting for your life,” he wrote.

“Imagine the only human contact you feel is a stranger’s rubber glove giving you medication, checking your vitals and changing your diaper.

“That is exactly what has happened to our family.”
Hoax?! WTH! I can see people feeling that in March, but now...people are stupid.

So he was the source. If he was sick the day after the party, he was infected well before the party. And infectivity tends to be maximum the day before symptoms appear, so he probably gave the virus to everyone there.

That's consistent with getting it from him.

No kidding. Unfortunately, guilt doesn't stop the virus. Fourteen infections, one death, multiple hospitalizations, And the members who got the virus and fared relatively well may have spread it to others.

At least we know that not only does the virus not distinguish between straights and gays, neither does virus ignorance.

OMFG. I just saw a video of her. She claims women can get pregnant in their dreams by someone who they dream about. How did we reach the point where scientific ignorance has reached such a nadir that the President of the U.S. is speaking so highly of such a charlatan?
"She's a very important voice". :rolleyes: So important that dt had to walk out of the briefing trying to defend her. I wonder why his (C19 handling) approval rating is low?!

1. Don't allow staff to work from home to 'set an example for the nation'
  2. Don't wear masks around your staff.
  3. Ridicule your staff for wearing masks.
  4. Boss gets infected with COVID-19
  5. Announce positive test to staff during in person meeting.
LOL...... I thought the Marlins had the worst workplace environment. Nope, Gohmert by a country mile.

• Angry
Reactions: jmdirt
Trump trying to find a foothold without any success. Biden only too happy to let Trump doing the heavy lifting......................I think the rest of the world is a little stunned at what is going on in Washington at the moment or not going on.......................

Last edited:
  1. Don't allow staff to work from home to 'set an example for the nation'
  2. Don't wear masks around your staff.
  3. Ridicule your staff for wearing masks.
  4. Boss gets infected with COVID-19
  5. Announce positive test to staff during in person meeting.
LOL...... I thought the Marlins had the worst workplace environment. Nope, Gohmert by a country mile.

Small sample size, but 7/8 in Congress who have tested positive are Republicans. McConnell was asked about a mask mandate for the Senate, and said it was unnecessary because everyone is already wearing one. If everyone is already doing it, what's the problem with codifying it? Everyone seems OK with wearing body masks--also known as clothes--but we still have laws about indecent exposure. Except--i found this very interesting--"in some states it is only illegal if it is accompanied by an intent to shock, arouse or offend other persons." I'd say not wearing a mask is definitely intended by some people to do that.

On another forum, a poster who owns a business says anyone who wears a mask on the premises "will be shown the door".

Edit: Just saw a news clip in which Gohmert speculates that the mask might cause more cases, because "I might have put some germs or virus on the mask, and breathed it in."

Meanwhile, the death toll is still moving upwards. The latest new daily total is about 1500, the highest in two months, and more than half the record set back in April. Florida just reported more than 200, its highest daily death total. Only NY, NJ, MA. MI and now TX have also reported that many or more in one day--all except TX during the April peak. The argument that all these cases aren't so bad because not that many people are dying is starting to unravel. Florida is second only to CA, with almost twice the population, in cases, and second to NY in hospitalizations.

Last edited:
Small sample size, but 7/8 in Congress who have tested positive are Republicans. McConnell was asked about a mask mandate for the Senate, and said it was unnecessary because everyone is already wearing one. If everyone is already doing it, what's the problem with codifying it? Everyone seems OK with wearing body masks--also known as clothes--but we still have laws about indecent exposure. Except--i found this very interesting--"in some states it is only illegal if it is accompanied by an intent to shock, arouse or offend other persons." I'd say not wearing a mask is definitely intended by some people to do that.

On another forum, a poster who owns a business says anyone who wears a mask on the premises "will be shown the door".

Edit: Just saw a news clip in which Gohmert speculates that the mask might cause more cases, because "I might have put some germs or virus on the mask, and breathed it in."

Meanwhile, the death toll is still moving upwards. The latest new daily total is about 1500, the highest in two months, and more than half the record set back in April. Florida just reported more than 200, its highest daily death total. Only NY, NJ, MA. MI and now TX have also reported that many or more in one day--all except TX during the April peak. The argument that all these cases aren't so bad because not that many people are dying is starting to unravel. Florida is second only to CA, with almost twice the population, in cases, and second to NY in hospitalizations.
Congressman Covid was frequently seen not wearing mask including the day that he tested positive. If he would have kept his mask on he wouldn't have gotten germs in it (even though that's not how he contracted it). If you watch news footage of politicians (mostly senate Rs) leaving meetings many of them don't have masks on so Mitch is wrong, his crew isn't smart enough or honorable enough to wear masks without a mandate.

It will be lost on many people, but this is also a perfect example of the value of rapid testing. Gohmert was just about to fly to Texas with someone in a very high risk group.
I saw a sign posted on twitter a few weeks ago that said, "If you choose not to wear a mask in our business, we will be required to take your temperature. We only have rectal thermometers."

Dusty RR, that link you posted is more than three months old. That vaccine is already in phase 3 trials.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

Jm, the key word in your link is patients, i.e., the 1% or so of infected individuals who are hospitalized. Someone looking at the title might think it referred to half of all people infected, or even testing positive. Not that this isn't a serious problem, but it isn't a common one, not yet (except for older people like me, who have one more thing to worry about).

Last edited:
Oh, oh. A new study reports that children under five who are infected with the virus actually have higher amounts of the virus in their nasopharyngeal cavity than adults. This supports the conclusion (though not the data, actually) of the German group led by Drosten, that I discussed upthread, and suggests, in contradiction to some recent studies, that children may spread the virus as much as adults.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200730141324.htm

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2768952

One of the medical experts on a news show made a really good point I hadn't thought of. He said one reason small kids may not spread the virus as much is because they are small. I.e., when they breathe particles into the air, they are not at the level at which adults breathe. This is why heavier droplets are not breathed in--because they quickly settle below the level at which adults normally breathe. With a small kid, the level already starts out lower.

Something else interesting I saw on the news. Some reporters went around with swabs, testing for the presence of the virus in public places, like door knobs, shopping carts, bathrooms, trains, railings, etc. All the places they tested in several locations around the country were negative. There were two positives in NYC, one on the handle of a shopping cart, the other on the plastic door or flap covering a bread bin. But the really big group of negatives occurred in Florida, where about 20% of surfaces tested were positive, including a table cloth in a restaurant, an elevator button, an ATM machine, and a garbage chute.

This test does not reveal how much virus is present, or whether it's infectious, but still interesting data to have.

Last edited:
Normally, there is a lot more pre-clinical work done in animal models to nail down parameters like the estimated duration of immunity and optimal dosing regimen. But as we have seen with the string of high profile HIV vaccines that have worked in animals and performed poorly in humans, there is no substitute for the genuine article. You can ask the smartest people in this field and they will tell you that it is still poorly understood why some vaccines provide more durable protection than others. Some are just better at generating memory cells for reasons that are loudly debated. So, one key factor is something inherent to the vaccine formulation itself. The other is the virus. Will it mutate regularly like Influenza? We won't know about either factor until mass vaccinations start and selective pressure starts to ramp up in the population. For COVID-19, we will all be part of the experiment. Longitudinal tracking of the clinical trial participants will be followed, too. This approach is done for every new vaccine. HPV vaccines have still provided durable protection since they were rolled out a decade ago. How much longer that will last is still TBD. It always struck me how random it was that the first microbe that people started vaccinating against in earnest (Smallpox), provided one of the longest lasting and effective vaccines. It is still the only human pathogen that we have successfully eradicated through a vaccine. Beginner's luck!

It is amazing to me that Fauci is testifying to congress and is being asked about hydroxy-chloroquine and zinc. We live in the dumbest timeline. Then the guy defends the Henry Ford study because it was 'peer reviewed'. Part of me died at that moment. We are doomed.

Interesting for a number of reasons, particularly the low rate of asymptomatic cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6931e1.htm
View: https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1289241881537392640

Last edited:
The baseball commissioner says the season could be shut down as soon as Monday--about ten days after it began--if there is another outbreak.

The data do support the notion of super-spreading events. The latest testing produced 29 positives out of 12,000 samples, which sounds really good. But 21/29 of the positives were players on one team, and most of the others were players or staff on the last team they played. That's the problem. One positive at the wrong place and the wrong time can cause real havoc. That one team has been shut down for a week. This in a 60 game season, where there are supposed to be a total of only six days off.

And the cases and deaths continue to mount over much of the U.S., particularly in Florida and Texas. In Florida, four straight days of record setting number of deaths. In Texas, three straight days of more than 300 deaths. The U.S. has four straight days of about 1500 deaths. The last time that happened before was in mid-May, when deaths were just coming down from their peak.

Last edited:
This is from smh.com.au coronavirus live feed so can't really link it - so copy/paste:

==============================================================
'I am not allowed to drive a car': COVID-19 leaves scar on Sydney doctor's heart
By Esther Han

A healthy, fit doctor in his 50s has been forced to give up exercise and driving after the coronavirus left a devastating mark on his heart.

Dr Warren Lee, a GP of 20 years in Mosman, Sydney, said he contracted COVID-19 in April and after experiencing several days of "flu-like" symptoms at home he made what he thought was a full recovery.

But when he struggled to ride his bike 1km to the barber and noticed an irregular heartbeat, he realised something was wrong.

His colleagues sent him to a cardiologist who ran tests on him.

Six weeks after he was "cleared from the virus" he had an epileptic seizure at work and spent four days in hospital.

Soon after, the doctors found a "scar right down the middle of [his] heart" called myocarditis, which was left by the coronavirus.

"Scans of my brain looked okay, scans of my lungs looked alright, but an EEG showed I had new onset epilepsy, I’ve never had that before," he said in a widely shared video on social media.

"I am no longer allowed to ride a bicycle, I am not allowed to drive a car, I’m on medication now."

Dr Lee said he was in shock because he thought he was fit, having raced on his road bike in Australia and overseas.

"What we are going through now in July is absolutely no different from where we were in March, so I do urge everyone to be careful," he said.

"I think social distancing is the only thing we have, nothing else works. We don’t have medication for this, we don’t have immunisation for this.

"It’s going to be hard but I think we just have to adjust because if you get the virus, the chances are you’re probably going to be fine, you might be okay but there is every chance you may not be. And that has massive impact to your lifestyle."

This is from smh.com.au coronavirus live feed so can't really link it - so copy/paste:

==============================================================
'I am not allowed to drive a car': COVID-19 leaves scar on Sydney doctor's heart
By Esther Han

A healthy, fit doctor in his 50s has been forced to give up exercise and driving after the coronavirus left a devastating mark on his heart.

Dr Warren Lee, a GP of 20 years in Mosman, Sydney, said he contracted COVID-19 in April and after experiencing several days of "flu-like" symptoms at home he made what he thought was a full recovery.

But when he struggled to ride his bike 1km to the barber and noticed an irregular heartbeat, he realised something was wrong.

His colleagues sent him to a cardiologist who ran tests on him.

Six weeks after he was "cleared from the virus" he had an epileptic seizure at work and spent four days in hospital.

Soon after, the doctors found a "scar right down the middle of [his] heart" called myocarditis, which was left by the coronavirus.

"Scans of my brain looked okay, scans of my lungs looked alright, but an EEG showed I had new onset epilepsy, I’ve never had that before," he said in a widely shared video on social media.

"I am no longer allowed to ride a bicycle, I am not allowed to drive a car, I’m on medication now."

Dr Lee said he was in shock because he thought he was fit, having raced on his road bike in Australia and overseas.

"What we are going through now in July is absolutely no different from where we were in March, so I do urge everyone to be careful," he said.

"I think social distancing is the only thing we have, nothing else works. We don’t have medication for this, we don’t have immunisation for this.

"It’s going to be hard but I think we just have to adjust because if you get the virus, the chances are you’re probably going to be fine, you might be okay but there is every chance you may not be. And that has massive impact to your lifestyle."
The neurological and organ damage that survivors are suffering are are really concerning!

• Sad
Reactions: dusty red roads
I agree...very concerning. You definitely don't want COVID-induced heart problems as heart disease is the #1 killer in this country.

Does anyone know if the first SARS virus back in 2002 (SARS-CoV-1) showed any similar pathologies to the cardiovascular system of recovered patients or is this unique only to COVID-19? (there's limited data with SARS-CoV-1; 8098 cases, 774 deaths with only 29 cases and no deaths in the U.S.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sciatic

TRENDING THREADS