• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
School Concerns

Teachers and students ordered back to school in the US state of Georgia, where the novel coronavirus remains widespread, say they are facing a scary situation which some students have turned into a “joke”.
Schools in Paulding County, outside the city of Atlanta, were back in the classroom this week despite coronavirus cases reported among students and staff.
On the first day back, Year 10 student Hannah Watters shared a photo on social media that has since gone viral. But behind the widely-shared image, a potentially deadly situation is unfolding which the school has been accused of trying to “sweep under the rug”.
Speaking to Yahoo News Australia, Hannah said a lack of meaningful precautions and only a small amount of mask wearing among students has left her feeling vulnerable.
“I feel very unsafe going back to school with the coronavirus. Especially with my school taking little precautions,” she said.

The 30,000-student suburban Paulding County school district in suburban Atlanta resumed classes on Monday.. Source: Hannah Watters
Since returning on Monday (local time) she has posted a handful of photos and a video showing packed corridors bustling with students, raising concerns about the lack of any social distancing.
“Day two at North Paulding High School. It is just as bad. We were stopped because it was jammed,” she wrote. “This is not ok.”
The school district says it is following state guidelines for reopening the school, with Paulding County Superintendent Brian Ottot telling CBS in an email that students need longer than a few minutes in the hall to catch the virus from others.
However, Hannah has since been reprimanded by the school for taking the images and posting them online.
“The policies I broke stated that I used my phone in the hallway without permission, used my phone for social media, and posting pictures of minors without consent,” she said.
Despite using her phone in such a manner previously, she says she has never been cautioned for it.
“I do feel like Paulding is trying to sweep this under the rug,” she told Yahoo News Australia.
“At about 1pm at school today (Wednesday, local time) our principal made a statement saying that ‘if any student tries to take photos or videos and post them there will be consequences’.”

Students test positive day before school goes back
The day before classroom teaching was due to commence, the principal sent a letter to parents informing them that a number of students on the school’s football team had tested positive for COVID-19.
Multiple teachers at the school told Buzzfeed News US there are also positive tests among school staff, including a staff member who came into contact with most teachers while exhibiting symptoms last week.
According to state data compiled by Covid Act Now, the infection rate in Georgia remains above 1 per cent, meaning the virus continues to slowly spread through the community, while nearly 13 per cent of coronavirus tests in the state return a positive result.
Georgia hit a new weekly high for COVID-19 deaths on Tuesday (local time) having averaged 51 confirmed deaths from the respiratory illness over the seven days prior.

While the school is taking some precautions, such as splitting the time when classes are let out, it is not enforcing mask wearing, with a slim majority of students opting not to wear them, Hannah says.
“Most of the population of ‘anti maskers’ have made the coronavirus somewhat of a joke,” she said.

“They have also made the situation I’m in a joke.”
Schools in the district are seeking to provide online learning options. But of the 31,000 students, more than 20,000 have signed up for in-person learning, local station WSB-TV reported.
Rumours that have been reported online claim students face suspension or even expulsion for not attending classes.
“The expulsion rule is just a rumour and has not been confirmed,” Hannah told Yahoo News Australia.
“There is a waiting list for online learning, and I know I don’t learn well online. Last semester online school was hard and confusing for everybody.
“I just want in-person schooling to be safe.”

She is not the only one, with a student who didn’t want to be named for fear of reprisal from the school, telling Buzzfeed he was paranoid about walking the halls.
“It’s the hallway situation that has me most paranoid,” he said. “There’s a lot of people in the hallways, and you can’t do nothing about it, so it’s scary.”

There are stories mostly from a backward run part of the 3rd world, were NGO workers,folks like Doctors without Borders,or Unicef,ect are killed or terrorized while they try and help a population through some health and \or humanitarian crisis..I never thought that that same level of terror would be common,accepted as a norm in the US.
Seeing what the Lebanese are suffering through is tough to watch w Covid already taxing their hospitals and now this which at first looks beyond explanation,but so far there looks to be an explanation for having 10s of thousands of pounds of explosives sitting around despite years of warning. Unlike going to a bar or concert,a house party..what happened in Lebanon will most certainly have spread the virus and the conditions endured by the injured and displaced will probably make the virus component of the catastrophe much worse

Why worry? We've been assured by the highest authority in the US that the vaccine will be here on Election day! How it will exist, distributed and administered will be left up to the people that are experts. The same group of experts that project late 2020 at best and if ever.
Surely everyone can endure a little cough until then.

Reactions: jmdirt
First cruise in Alaska this year and Covid strikes.
The travel industry has been decimated all over the world. All of the travel related companies that have reopened are having similar issues. Spain is paying for reopening it's popular travel areas and even Greece which did very well early in the pandemic but relies so much on it's travel industry is now having issues after reopening to tourists from selected countries. Ryanair has been banned in Italy after not adhering to Covid protocols. Needless to say the travel industry will be unrecognizable post Covid.......whenever that will be. Every travel related industry is reeling.

The travel industry has been decimated all over the world. All of the travel related companies that have reopened are having similar issues. Spain is paying for reopening it's popular travel areas and even Greece which did very well early in the pandemic but relies so much on it's travel industry is now having issues after reopening to tourists from selected countries. Ryanair has been banned in Italy after not adhering to Covid protocols. Needless to say the travel industry will be unrecognizable post Covid.......whenever that will be. Every travel related industry is reeling.

Not only travel.

Chris I was curious if you were able to watch the Axios interview with President Trump and were able to draw any conclusions about US Covid strategy? I was unable really to sleep well or completely concentrate at work after hearing the responses,especially about Covid-19 deaths,domestic and international testing and the President's grasp of math,medicine and statistics.

This looks like it become the new norm.
I have listened to other reporting about the likelihood of another sub category for employment..Covid survivor

It's looking more and more likely that a national standard will be established and adopted for elementary education and void of federal guidelines and massive additional funding many,many large school districts are concluding that the resources and execution of safety measures look unlikely to impossible and as a result are using remote learning as the school year starts..
nationwide students as young as 2nd grade testing positive on first day..the first day of school

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Testing the incoming students is something that looks good on paper, but will have precious little effect IMO on the spread of the virus in practice. There is very little evidence that college students will fundamentally change their behavior when they are back on campus.

It really is insane that college students are the ones most likely to be getting in-person education while elementary students get remote. Even if most schools do a good job with opening, the ones that have an outbreak will make the headlines. Similarly, a 7 year old kid died from COVID in Georgia having no known pre-existing health conditions. That is not the norm, but try telling that to the concerned parents around the nation who read the story. It is going to be a crazy couple months.

View: https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1291570101809012736

I have to admit,almost weekly I am further surprised by an innovative use of drones.. With Covid protocols,restrictions and code enforcement officials scrambling..especially here in California,it's amazing to see party,wedding receptions and other mass gatherings revealed using drones.. Bars and restaurants using what used to be out of sight to skirt the law are being caught using the flying cameras.
I have seen a couple notices for raves\ party \ dj events and lots of young a interest in the activities look to be going for some prohibition theme..having the secret,underground,against the law element as tantalizing and uber exciting..
I try and get negative about it but..as a young man growing up in Arizona, we had desert parties w kegs of beer,lots of booze and bong smoke and everyone would tune car radios to the same station( eventually) and very few times were the police involved..but the excitement of getting away with it was definitely part of the lure..??
I also think that for the most part in the US,messaging has been a complete and utter failure,by everyone at every level..like all health information,it has to be accurate..telling kids you will go blind from masturbation,smoking pot,cigarettes,alcohol,party drugs lead us to this, The Covid cooties don't exist in most youth circles so the better message probably would have been don't kill your grandparents or old aunts and uncles..if you're parents are chubby or have ailments,a night of dance and drink for you may equal death for them..

My local school district is opening with distance learning only. (Governor is leaving it up to each school district to make the decision for themselves about opening). I do not have kids, but one of the managers I work with in one of my jobs does and I was asking her about it. She has to pick up the computers from the school for her two kids next week. It sounds like the school is doing some sort of wifi/data for the computers specifically for school work so that all the kids should be able to connect and get their lessons.

Chris I was curious if you were able to watch the Axios interview with President Trump and were able to draw any conclusions about US Covid strategy? I was unable really to sleep well or completely concentrate at work after hearing the responses,especially about Covid-19 deaths,domestic and international testing and the President's grasp of math,medicine and statistics.

That interview and a family dinner including a my niece, a new teacher convinced me I'll need to pace myself. My niece is an extremely intelligent math major that could have taken a really good position with any local tech company but is doing on line tutoring and virtual classes. She hopes to give more as a teacher for awhile. She couldn't believe that DT was allowed to provide that interview without an earpiece and a shock collar....She wants to hold on as a teacher at least until DT and Devos are disappearing in history's rear view mirror. Very committed for a 21 year old these days.
As I said about pacing; my liver needs to hold out past November so I'm hoping she has voting friends in her age cohort.

And for American veterans..@estimated @22 million prescriptions for the vets are filled using US Postal service..those deliveries eliminate trips out of the house,rides to the VA to visit the pharmacy, visits to an area pharmacy..all higher risk behaviors than getting out of your mailbox..
Why would anybody intentionally delay vets from getting their prescription medications?
Who would disrupt a vital medical service during a pandemic?