• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 123 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Just spent 5 days in Bahia de Los Angeles..tourism off by 90%. I stay in a small camp @10K from La Gringa..@70-80% mask wearing..I went for beer,ice and cilantro once..market has disinfectant shoe mats,temp at the door and limit on persons entering..you get an involuntary squirt of hand sanitizer as an entry gift like it or not.
No temps in California and no shoe sanitizing..
sand bass and yellow tail daily..not for skill they were jumping on the hook..4 on the boat plus Captain..face masks..@50%..numbers are way down since Easter..Whale Sharks there until @ November
Mexico is playing fast and loose..Amlo the Mexican President doesn't normally wear a mask. The overall strategy is to follow whatever the US does. Hospitals are full and the economy was already in recession before Covid, and they just work hard to treat who they can and stack the bodies.
The new Canada -U.S.- Mexico border open date is @22August..we will see..
The fantastic whale sharks look unaffected by the Corona virus or by my girth swimming in the water trying to take their picture..also seals and dolphins I asked had not read the paper or saw any news coverage on Covid-19..they thanked me and said that it would be taken under advisement as they swam on ..

This is another lab created antibody treatment entering phase 1 trials:

And of course the east coast of the US now has a tropical storm to deal with. It appears very likely to make landfall in South Carolina near Charleston.

Reactions: jmdirt
What proportion of survivors suffer neurological or organ damage? What proportion of total cases suffer neurological or organ damage?

It appears to be very low. Most of the cases are from people who are hospitalized, which are about 1% of those infected. Then there are the long-termers, who tend to be young and initially have mild cases, but these appear to be less than 1% of those infected.

But it's still early, a lot of data aren't in, and these numbers could turn out to be higher.

One of the first schools to open is in Georgia, where masks are recommended, but not required. A couple of students began a campaign to make masks mandatory, but were countered by other students who didn't want to wear them. When the students pushing for the mandate were asked about the opposition students, they pointed out, "We have a dress code. They're fine with that."

Indeed. Schools frequently require students to dress in a certain way, cut their hair, whatever, none of which is necessary at all for health, and students and their parents rarely complain. But masks are an imposition on their freedom?

It appears to be very low. Most of the cases are from people who are hospitalized, which are about 1% of those infected. Then there are the long-termers, who tend to be young and initially have mild cases, but these appear to be less than 1% of those infected.

But it's still early, a lot of data aren't in, and these numbers could turn out to be higher.

One of the first schools to open is in Georgia, where masks are recommended, but not required. A couple of students began a campaign to make masks mandatory, but were countered by other students who didn't want to wear them. When the students pushing for the mandate were asked about the opposition students, they pointed out, "We have a dress code. They're fine with that."

Indeed. Schools frequently require students to dress in a certain way, cut their hair, whatever, none of which is necessary at all for health, and students and their parents rarely complain. But masks are an imposition on their freedom?

Yep, and kids are sent home for wearing things that don't meet the dress code.

I can't believe cruise ships are even operating!
How often do they have to touch the hot stove before the cruise industry learns? From what I heard about Tahiti travel, a negative test within 72 hours of arrival is required to enter the country and you must take a test 4 days after entering. Presumably, the latter test aboard the boat picked it up. Since the majority of American flights are routed through LAX, it is not hard to imagine that this scenario (i.e a person infected in transit or traveling while it incubates) was bound to happen. The fact that it is the second cruise to depart after the restart AFAIK is just the cherry on top of an overly optimistic idea.

Re heart damage - has this been posted yet, if not, it's worth a read, though not sure of percentages...

This is the first study I've seen which reports long-term health problems in a substantial proportion of people who were not initially hospitalized. IOW, the vast majority of people with the virus. As such, it's the first evidence I know of that the virus really is harmful or potentially harmful to more than 1-2% of the people who are infected. Definitely something to be concerned about.

Re heart damage - has this been posted yet, if not, it's worth a read, though not sure of percentages...

Thanks for that link. Good read. I passed this on to a nurse friend for feedback / snicker test. She works at a local hospital, does covid testing, and has done some patient treatments. I'm hoping she shares the article with colleagues for feedback.

Just spent 5 days in Bahia de Los Angeles..tourism off by 90%. I stay in a small camp @10K from La Gringa..@70-80% mask wearing..I went for beer,ice and cilantro once..market has disinfectant shoe mats,temp at the door and limit on persons entering..you get an involuntary squirt of hand sanitizer as an entry gift like it or not.
No temps in California and no shoe sanitizing..
sand bass and yellow tail daily..not for skill they were jumping on the hook..4 on the boat plus Captain..face masks..@50%..numbers are way down since Easter..Whale Sharks there until @ November
Mexico is playing fast and loose..Amlo the Mexican President doesn't normally wear a mask. The overall strategy is to follow whatever the US does. Hospitals are full and the economy was already in recession before Covid, and they just work hard to treat who they can and stack the bodies.
The new Canada -U.S.- Mexico border open date is @22August..we will see..
The fantastic whale sharks look unaffected by the Corona virus or by my girth swimming in the water trying to take their picture..also seals and dolphins I asked had not read the paper or saw any news coverage on Covid-19..they thanked me and said that it would be taken under advisement as they swam on ..
Articles like that make it tough on those who argue that kids don't get it or spread it. I hope that if schools open over the next month we don't find out the hard way how wrong that thinking is.

A link in target's Guardian article is very interesting:

Characterizing return to baseline health among outpatients with milder COVID-19 illness is important for understanding the full spectrum of COVID-19–associated illness and tailoring public health messaging, interventions, and policy. During April 15–June 25, 2020, telephone interviews were conducted with a random sample of adults aged ≥18 years who had a first positive reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, at an outpatient visit at one of 14 U.S. academic health care systems in 13 states. Interviews were conducted 14–21 days after the test date. Respondents were asked about demographic characteristics, baseline chronic medical conditions, symptoms present at the time of testing, whether those symptoms had resolved by the interview date, and whether they had returned to their usual state of health at the time of interview. Among 292 respondents, 94% (274) reported experiencing one or more symptoms at the time of testing; 35% of these symptomatic respondents reported not having returned to their usual state of health by the date of the interview (median = 16 days from testing date), including 26% among those aged 18–34 years, 32% among those aged 35–49 years, and 47% among those aged ≥50 years. Among respondents reporting cough, fatigue, or shortness of breath at the time of testing, 43%, 35%, and 29%, respectively, continued to experience these symptoms at the time of the interview. These findings indicate that COVID-19 can result in prolonged illness even among persons with milder outpatient illness, including young adults.

Not returning to usual health within 2–3 weeks of testing was reported by approximately one third of respondents. Even among young adults aged 18–34 years with no chronic medical conditions, nearly one in five reported that they had not returned to their usual state of health 14–21 days after testing. In contrast, over 90% of outpatients with influenza recover within approximately 2 weeks of having a positive test result (7).

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6930e1.htm

It's not all that easy for lots of Americans and others outside the country to follow minor stories,if anyone even wants to(? )
Dr.Anthony Fauci has been in the forefront as one of the United States spokespeople about all things Covid-19.
He recently commented that he has had to retain security forces to protect his daughters from death threats. In doing his job it is often he says things that make people want to murder his children..completely crazy.
Many public officials that are working on Covid issues have received credible death threats, 2 very senior health officials in California resigned after threats against their lives.
And most likely after multiple social media platforms deleted false medical \ health claims posted by U.S. President more threats of violence or death will probably follow.

• Angry

TRENDING THREADS