• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thanks. I wrote here a while ago how I twice walked into my local medical centre for a sore shoulder and instead of the usual two hour wait saw a Dr almost immediately. The place was virtually empty!

My conclusion was social distancing prevents the spread of all respiratory illnesses not just Covid-19. Your article shows I was right. So contrary to reports medical systems would be overwhelmed we actually see the opposite. But only because we implemented social distancing early in response to Covid.

I see Trump and his missus have come down with Covid.
What next?

I'm surprised it took this long, given that he interacts with lots of people daily, and has mostly ignored social distancing and wearing a mask. So many of his aides have tested positive, it was only. matter of time. I wish him well, but I'm very much aware that if he has a mild case, or no symptoms at all, he will use that as evidence that we don't have to take the virus seriously.

I'm surprised it took this long, given that he interacts with lots of people daily, and has mostly ignored social distancing and wearing a mask. So many of his aides have tested positive, it was only. matter of time. I wish him well, but I'm very much aware that if he has a mild case, or no symptoms at all, he will use that as evidence that we don't have to take the virus seriously.
The three world leaders who were constantly downplaying the Covid crisis in the early days : Johnson, Bolsonaro and Trump all ended up with it. Johnson was actually on a ventilator for a while. What are the odds ? Trump has still been holding rallies while Bolsonaro and Johnson suddenly discovered the humble mask after they recovered.

Yeah, I doubt he is taking chloroquine for this one. I imagine he will be dosed with Remdesivir and the monoclonal antibodies. That said, neither of those options are going to make anybody feel like Lazarus right away. The contact tracing for this will be worthy of a best selling book.

ETA. He already has symptoms according to reports. Hicks definitely did.

Last edited:
The three world leaders who were constantly downplaying the Covid crisis in the early days : Johnson, Bolsonaro and Trump all ended up with it. Johnson was actually on a ventilator for a while. What are the odds ? Trump has still been holding rallies while Bolsonaro and Johnson suddenly discovered the humble mask after they recovered.
President Lukashenko of Belarus downplayed the virus going as far as calling the whole thing a "hoax" from the get go. Then in late July he tests positive and is asymptomatic bragging how he survived the virus "on his feet:" And Lukashenko hasn't discovered the "humble mask" as he's more worried about the civil unrest in his country over his Presidency:

The next couple of weeks will interesting to see which way this goes; whether he'll end up like Lukashenko or end up in the ICU like Boris Johnson. He's in the higher risk category for complications being over 70, overweight & sedentary, plus the stress of the job. I'm sure it'll be nonstop coverage 24/7 on CNN/FOX.

Hope Hicks allowed on the plane with symptoms is a microcosm of the national response. Way too cavalier.
tr
President Lukashenko of Belarus downplayed the virus going as far as calling the whole thing a "hoax" from the get go. Then in late July he tests positive and is asymptomatic bragging how he survived the virus "on his feet:" And Lukashenko hasn't discovered the "humble mask" as he's more worried about the civil unrest in his country over his Presidency:

The next couple of weeks will interesting to see which way this goes; whether he'll end up like Lukashenko or end up in the ICU like Boris Johnson. He's in the higher risk category for complications being over 70, overweight & sedentary, plus the stress of the job. I'm sure it'll be nonstop coverage 24/7 on CNN/FOX.
Yes Lukashenko has other problems. Biden will have to be tested as well obviously.

As Baltimore notes, Peter Duesberg is Exhibit A that you can propose the most outlandish, unsupported ideas, and not have to worry about losing your job. Michael Levitt and Luc Montagnier are two Novel Prize winners who have proposed theories far out of the mainstream, and haven't had any problems. Montagnier has claimed the virus was created in a lab, while Levitt believes the virus stops transmitting more or less spontaneously over time. Stanford's John Ioannidis has argued that the mortality rate is much lower than what the mainstream believes, and he has no problem keeping his job and publishing his work.
Loannidis has been censored having some videos removed from YouTube.

Let's talk some medical doctors:

-Dr. Scott Jensen, MD & state senator from MN went on FOX last April discussing the misclassification of Covid deaths, higher payouts from Medicare to the hospitals for Covid patients and compared Covid to the flu. Then in July, he's informed by the Board of Medical Practices that's he being investigated and facing disciplinary action for providing misinformation & reckless advice comparing Covid with the flu.

Full report and interview with Jensen by investigative journalist Del Bigtee:

View: https://youtu.be/ADYjhFaoCis

- Dr. Martin Feeley, Clinical Director of Dublin Midlands Hospital Group, on Sept 12, states that, in addition to condemning the "draconian" lockdowns, Covid-19 is much less severe than the annual flu and that people at a low risk should be exposed to it so they can develop herd immunity and reduce the risks to vulnerable groups.

Four days later, the HSH disassociated itself with Feeley's remarks on herd immunity, and coming under pressure he resigns:

This isn't a medical doctor but it's an interesting case nonetheless with a college prof:

-Martin Crispin Miller, PhD, tenured professor at NYU, wrote a very interesting essay on masks:

"Masking Ourselves To Death: A New Essay By Mark Crispin Miller, PHD:"

Apparently, a former student of his didn't particularly care for it and thought it best to demand the university terminate Miller. It's being looked into by the university and there's some push back by the administration...so we'll wait & see if any action is taken by the university.

Last edited:
Isn't Mark Crispin Miller another perfect example of how you can't be fired from academia if you have tenure? The guy is a certifiable kook. We can certainly wait and see what happens, but... nothing is going to happen.

Scott Atlas weighing in with his typical mendacity. “This is a disease that spreads, we anticipate that people get this infection, and it does not go away by isolating or locking down.” "And the overwhelming majority of people, even at his age, do fine with this. He is very healthy, and so I anticipate the same for him."

ETA. Intriguing developments that an outdoor gathering on Saturday appears to be at the heart of this. We now have a senator and the president of Notre Dame positive after attending (in addition to Hicks and the president). Some VIP people were tested, but many who attended were not. This is going to be really interesting to follow, but mask-less gatherings should not be happening anywhere. Should also note that the ND president has already apologized for not wearing a mask and shaking hands. What world are these people living in?

Trump will have access to the latest treatments that are being trialled so I won't surprised at all if his symptoms (if any) remain mild.
Good call. He is one the Regeneron antibody cocktail according to his doctor. Also, the correct decision given the circumstances.

Here's some of the info now out for the Regeneron information. To me it sounds like it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Hope Hicks allowed on the plane with symptoms is a microcosm of the national response. Way too cavalier.
Scrolling back on the recent WH team/family behavior from the Supreme Court nominee Rose Garden reception, the pre-debate behavior of Trump and family and they're purposeful rejection of masks at the debate, the knowledge of Hick's positive test, the lack of information to embedded reporters on Air Force One re: Hick's diagnosis while staffers wandered maskless on the plane, Trump's fundraiser attendance (apparently absent of any notice to the potential donors) all in sequence with the other events lead to a very damning behavioral conclusion. Particularly after he took Biden to task for wearing "the biggest mask ever!" That is:
They weren't going to show concern about C19 even when their circle was exposed and didn't feel the need to warn anyone else. I don't think this will help his campaign even if he has few symptoms and a swift recovery. It's confirmation that the WH effort doesn't care about the consequences to anyone else and that impression may be impossible to shake in the next few weeks.
Hopefully all will recover and gain some insight....This is like the saddest conclusion to the drama we've exposed to the World.
And the stock market barely took notice. Telling, that.

Reported that Trump has fever, cough and fatigue.

The contact tracing for this will be worthy of a best selling book.

What a network to disentangle. At least everyone who was in contact with Trump will know it. It's the people further down the chain who will be hard to identify immediately.

They weren't going to show concern about C19 even when their circle was exposed and didn't feel the need to warn anyone else.

It's been noted that at many recent WH meetings, people don't wear masks, and that even after the Trump positive was announced, this has still been the case. Given the large number of interactions with people Trump has, it's entirely possible that he has transmitted the virus to many others, and that while probably most will recover, someone may die because of this. Biden has tested negative, but Trump might very well have been positive during the debate, and though Biden was quite a distance from him, he was in his presence for nearly two hours, and don't think all that interrupting and complaining didn't expel a lot of viral particles into the air. And the irony, of course, is that during the debate, Trump mocked Biden for always wearing a mask.

Now it comes out that Coney Barrett, the SC nominee, has already had COVID, and apparently recovered. The Senator who recently tested positive, Mike Lee, who also hasn't been wearing a mask, was at a meeting with many others shortly before he tested positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
I missed that zinc was also part of the therapy. That makes me question the decision making process. This doctor is a little skeptical too.

Yeah, that raised my eyebrows. Zinc therapy is an unproven theory that's supported by some cell culture work, but it won't help much in vivo unless you give it with something that can transport it into cells. It's probably a nothing-to-lose treatment, should be perfectly safe at reasonable doses, but I'm surprised that these doctors, with all the latest advances available to them, would use it.

The sympathy vote probably won't be enough but who knows. only smart people like Michael Moore saw him as a possible winner last time. But you would think that the subject of Corona is one that Trump won't be concentrating on pre election while Biden is making sure it's always worth mentioning...........it seems Trump's wife has much milder symptoms at the moment but then she is much younger.

Reactions: jmdirt
For Americans..a guy 74yo..obese,and high cholesterol is in a high risk group..the other two world leaders who contracted Covid have multiple advantages for a different outcome.

there are incredible pressures,throughout but w Covid looming,air travel is in a freefall as an industry,hospitality mixed probability for any type of recovery using current health conditions and modified business model..some restaurants serving people in tents,yurts, igloos..
cruise ship industry given the thumbs down by health agencies but given a thumbs up by U.S. President..we will have to wait and see..education from the smallest students to college campuses,everything in a state of flux because of lack of a plan lack of large expensive response networks..so the only option so far is it too many cases rise at an unacceptable rate,close down..
One message has been sent to all Americans,if the President,his wife and employees can all contract the virus w procedures that are available to only a select few..unlimited budget and personnel,techniques and equipment..if the President is not safe nobody is..there was always a risk in posturing that the virus was trivial until you catch it..
For us I wonder what contact tracing could even look like from stadium events,events where people were encouraged not to wear masks and scream and shout..when the government promotes super spreader events,only fools would be surprised when they are effective..
And the NFL has to be wondering what an inner outbreak will look like..moving games to middle or end of the season..no matter how you slice it..the complicated,colossal and costly financial framework..of sports of business,of school..always comes full circle..you have to know who is sick and what to do with them after identification.
The U.S. Should be ashamed that we learned nothing..from the UK or Brazil..when. flip leaders fell ill..or other examples of country leadership that showed the virus respect and caution..
If the aerospace and airline industry go under it will be our collective fault..