• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 229 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today in San Diego they suspended giving the Mederna vaccine because of a high number of allergic \ adverse reactions. And this for Chris, California said to have @40 million population..given only just under a million vaccines..ouch

I just read about that. (An article from one of the LA TV stations). It sounds like they are halting one specific batch of Moderna vaccine, but not all of the Moderna vaccine they have in the state. I also saw on a more local (Raleigh, NC TV station website) that NC is opening up vaccines to all health care workers and anyone 65 and older. Raleigh/Wake county does not anywhere close to enough vaccine for that group and are now requiring zip codes when you sign up to get on the list for the vaccine as they are going to be prioritizing based on zip code.

Reactions: jmdirt
Today in San Diego they suspended giving the Mederna vaccine because of a high number of allergic \ adverse reactions. And this for Chris, California said to have @40 million population..given only just under a million vaccines..ouch

Gotta wonder why you have zero concern for the more than a million that will die from the ‘I never got COVID’ restrictions. Have you no heart? No soul? All those hundreds of thousands all but already dead and where are you?

Where is Biden’s plan to deal with this? Where is it? The silence is deafening.

Get comfortable bro. It‘s gonna be a very, very long 4 years.

Reactions: Cookster15
I just read about that. (An article from one of the LA TV stations). It sounds like they are halting one specific batch of Moderna vaccine, but not all of the Moderna vaccine they have in the state. I also saw on a more local (Raleigh, NC TV station website) that NC is opening up vaccines to all health care workers and anyone 65 and older. Raleigh/Wake county does not anywhere close to enough vaccine for that group and are now requiring zip codes when you sign up to get on the list for the vaccine as they are going to be prioritizing based on zip code.

So Cali opened up the vaccines to those over 65. I tried to sign my mid-80’s parents up, who are very willing to get vaccinated, for an appointment to get vaccinated. Unfortunately for them they are both white. No appointments for them at least through the end of the month.

It is what it is.

Gotta wonder why you have zero concern for the more than a million that will die from the ‘I never got COVID’ restrictions. Have you no heart? No soul? All those hundreds of thousands all but already dead and where are you?

Where is Biden’s plan to deal with this? Where is it? The silence is deafening.

Get comfortable bro. It‘s gonna be a very, very long 4 years.
Ya living under a rock? Compare President Biden's plan to the non existent trump the traitor COVID one.
Yeegads, the guy hasn't even been inaugurated yet..has been handed a YUGE can of worms by the previous numbskull.

VERY comfy at 12 eastern this Wednesday...

Ya living under a rock? Compare President Biden's plan to the non existent trump the traitor COVID one.
Yeegads, the guy hasn't even been inaugurated yet..has been handed a YUGE can of worms by the previous numbskull.

VERY comfy at 12 eastern this Wednesday...

This will be one of the most challenging operational efforts ever undertaken by our country,” Biden said on Friday. “You have my word that we will manage the hell out of this operation.”

Biden’s word? He doesn’t even know where he is.

Loosen the restrictions on who can get vaccinated (and when).

Lololololozzzzzzzz. Tell that to Cuomo.

Mobilize more medical personnel to deliver the vaccinations.

You mean the one’s stretched to the breaking point with their workload now?

And use the might of the federal government to increase the vaccine supply by manufacturing whatever is needed

You mean like what’s being done now. Okey dokey.

NY Times, Ezra Klein. It’s as if both only appeal to those truly not having ever paid attention..

Reactions: Cookster15
How do you propose to inoculate the 6m seniors in CA with less than 2.5m doses left? You probably should target it to the people hit worst, which you have posted are people of Latin descent. What Azar created is a problem where people feel like they should get the vaccine despite there being a lack of vaccine to give them right now. His new regulations would put 153m people in the queue to get a vaccine with ~20m doses to give them. So, that is about 1/15th coverage when you factor in the 2 doses per person. People need to be realistic with this. Until we get a lot more vaccine from the companies, demand is going to greatly exceed supply as I have noted repeatedly. Nobody outside of medical and nursing home communities should expect to get it before April. Some may, as illustrated from our Idaho correspondent, but it is better to wait for your number to be called.
What I don't get is why people think this is an issue with the vaccine. The lot reportedly went to 287 sites in CA. There are reports of allergic reactions from 1 center. The numbers suggest it is the center, not the vaccine. 300k doses is a lot to sideline. Another illustration where anti-vax framing is the default setting when talking about vaccines in mainstream media.
Dr. Erica S. Pan on Sunday recommended providers stop using lot 41L20A of the Moderna vaccine pending completion of an investigation by state officials, Moderna, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the federal Food and Drug Administration.

“Out of an extreme abundance of caution and also recognizing the extremely limited supply of vaccine, we are recommending that providers use other available vaccine inventory,” Pan said in a statement.

How do you propose to inoculate the 6m seniors in CA with less than 2.5m doses left? You probably should target it to the people hit worst, which you have posted are people of Latin descent. What Azar created is a problem where people feel like they should get the vaccine despite there being a lack of vaccine to give them right now. His new regulations would put 153m people in the queue to get a vaccine with ~20m doses to give them. So, that is about 1/15th coverage when you factor in the 2 doses per person. People need to be realistic with this. Until we get a lot more vaccine from the companies, demand is going to greatly exceed supply as I have noted repeatedly. Nobody outside of medical and nursing home communities should expect to get it before April. Some may, as illustrated from our Idaho correspondent, but it is better to wait for your number to be called.

You are aware Cali has something like 2 million doses sitting unused in the refrigerator, right? Right now every shot in the arm is a win. Unless.... well, you know.

Doesn't that fact that appointments are not available indicate that people are scheduled to get those shots over the next 10-14 days? I am confused about what exactly you are complaining about.
The problem is that there are more people who want to be inoculated, and who are brimming with questions, than there is vaccine to do the critical job.
County officials estimated last week that roughly 450,000 healthcare workers still needed to be vaccinated and said the next phase of vaccinations will probably not begin until early February.

Personally, I would take a million of those doses and just start vaccinating everyone who wants one in LA county at some outdoor sports parking lot. But this is a symptom of the original sickness. Punting decisions down to the lower levels means you run the risk of people who don't know what they are doing running things. Or maybe you luck out and your jurisdiction is well managed. Not a great way to find that out.

ETA. If it is unclear, I propose a pilot study to carpet-bomb a hard hit area with vaccine and see what it does to the dynamics of infection. This kind of idea has to come from the top due to the resources needed. The data from Israel is intriguing, but they are a lot more locked down than the US. Surging what little vaccine we have to hot zones might be better than spreading them equally by state.

ETA. Good data about mask usage and the effect on R. Spoiler, it probably decreases it.
Background
Face masks have become commonplace across the USA because of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) epidemic. Although evidence suggests that masks help to curb the spread of the disease, there is little empirical research at the population level. We investigate the association between self-reported mask-wearing, physical distancing, and SARS-CoV-2 transmission in the USA, along with the effect of statewide mandates on mask uptake.
Methods
Serial cross-sectional surveys were administered via a web platform to randomly surveyed US individuals aged 13 years and older, to query self-reports of face mask-wearing. Survey responses were combined with instantaneous reproductive number (Rt) estimates from two publicly available sources, the outcome of interest. Measures of physical distancing, community demographics, and other potential sources of confounding (from publicly available sources) were also assessed. We fitted multivariate logistic regression models to estimate the association between mask-wearing and community transmission control (Rt<1). Additionally, mask-wearing in 12 states was evaluated 2 weeks before and after statewide mandates.
Findings
378 207 individuals responded to the survey between June 3 and July 27, 2020, of which 4186 were excluded for missing data. We observed an increasing trend in reported mask usage across the USA, although uptake varied by geography. A logistic model controlling for physical distancing, population demographics, and other variables found that a 10% increase in self-reported mask-wearing was associated with an increased odds of transmission control (odds ratio 3·53, 95% CI 2·03–6·43). We found that communities with high reported mask-wearing and physical distancing had the highest predicted probability of transmission control. Segmented regression analysis of reported mask-wearing showed no statistically significant change in the slope after mandates were introduced; however, the upward trend in reported mask-wearing was preserved.
Interpretation
The widespread reported use of face masks combined with physical distancing increases the odds of SARS-CoV-2 transmission control. Self-reported mask-wearing increased separately from government mask mandates, suggesting that supplemental public health interventions are needed to maximise adoption and help to curb the ongoing epidemic.

Last edited:
I have to question the wisdom of vaccinating all older, frail residents of nursing homes - Authorities need to be more selective in their screening of such cases - There will be deaths amongst this cohort from vaccines because of the nature of their health, which then discourages the wider community from being vaccinated. You would be better to vaccinate the nursing employees first, with back up from regular COVID tests.

Last edited:
It is hard to take these claims at face value when they sandwich a post that features a video segment from Del Bigtree. Are we going to argue that Bigtree is not an antivaxxer? If you are genuinely not against vaccination, you should look up some of these characters. He produced the seminal anti-vaxx video with Wakefield. If you don't see their game, I legitimately can't help you at this stage.
Investigative Journalist Del Bigtree is antivaxx - so no argument there. The situation with posting the video is the lengthy interview he did with Bhakdi. Recall Bhakdi a month or so ago went on FOX with Ingraham to talk about his safety concerns with the vaccines. The problem was with only a few minutes of airtime, he couldn't possibly go into great depth as to basis of his concerns. Bhakdi was given a 25 min interview with Bigtree which was adequate time for him to make his case.

Bhakdi is pro-vaccine and as you know, he's adamantly against any of these Covid vaccines. Because he did an interview with Bigtree - does that make him antivaxx? I don't think so. However, some critics and opponents will continue to label him as "antivaxx" due to his stance on the Covid vaccines.

As to the paper you linked from Microbes and Infection - I'm not reading it once I saw Rubinstein Reis as co-author. She is one of staunchest anti-choice, pro-vaccine advocates out there! She doesn't believe in non-medical exemptions and testified in support of CA SB 277 which removed non-medical exemptions. She's the enemy if you believe in a pro-choice, informed consent policy for vaccinations.

Last edited:
Man, the poor CCP.

Huh, really?

Wuhan medics undercover: 'We were told to lie about Covid-19 outbreak'

Chinese medics have been filmed undercover for the first time admitting they realised coronavirus could be transmitted between humans but were told by the government to keep quiet.

Senior medics in Wuhan who witnessed some of the first cases of the virus were secretly filmed by a citizen journalist for an ITV documentary. The medics said they were in no doubt how dangerous the virus was and that they were aware of deaths as early as the end of December 2019.

You don't say.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-18...r-we-were-told-to-lie-about-covid-19-outbreak

Reactions: Jagartrott

What I don't get is why people think this is an issue with the vaccine. The lot reportedly went to 287 sites in CA. There are reports of allergic reactions from 1 center. The numbers suggest it is the center, not the vaccine. 300k doses is a lot to sideline. Another illustration where anti-vax framing is the default setting when talking about vaccines in mainstream media.
My first thought was that the lot was mishandled.

I have no insight into the 'negotiations' as to why my company is going to get in line in early Feb, but the obvious reason is that we have our tentacles in most of the community (medical, food packaging, agriculture, education, among others, plus we have some who (used) to be in Asia frequently).

Man, the poor CCP.

Huh, really?

Wuhan medics undercover: 'We were told to lie about Covid-19 outbreak'

Chinese medics have been filmed undercover for the first time admitting they realised coronavirus could be transmitted between humans but were told by the government to keep quiet.

Senior medics in Wuhan who witnessed some of the first cases of the virus were secretly filmed by a citizen journalist for an ITV documentary. The medics said they were in no doubt how dangerous the virus was and that they were aware of deaths as early as the end of December 2019.

You don't say.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-18...r-we-were-told-to-lie-about-covid-19-outbreak

This is far from a perfect situation BUT if the whole world locked down at the end of January for 2 to 3 months much of the carnage would have been avoided - This is a failure of Government's world-wide.

BUT if the whole world locked down at the end of January for 2 to 3 months much of the carnage would have been avoided - This is a failure of Government's world-wide.

I agree. Governments the world over should have modeled what the CCP did.

In Wuhan, videos are emerging on social media of officials welding the doors of apartment buildings shut, locking the residents inside during the coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1703503427818

You figured out what I'm complaining about in the very same post.
The issue is that the doses are spread throughout the state of CA. The cat is out of the bag. There is no single button to push to speed this up. You and Bro wanted local decision making... this is what that can look like. It also elides the fact that pinning everything on the vaccines to save the day means that we have to live with all that strategy entails. Live by the sword....

If we aren't going to be getting more than 8m doses a week, there is little we can do to speed up vaccination. View: https://twitter.com/bhrenton/status/1351609927828168710

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin

Well with NC opening up vaccines to all health care workers and those 65 and older some areas are putting up sign up lists and the order they will give appointments is going to be via zip codes and the hardest hit zip codes get first appointment options. NC's state govt has flat out said there isn't enough vaccine in NC for the entire group that has the option for the vaccine right now.

I have no idea why they think it's an issue with the vaccine either. Now stopping vaccinations at that specific center due to the issues I could understand more and do an investigation on that, but if other places aren't having issues why the entire lot.

TRENDING THREADS