• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 233 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If I see prices and amount of ordered vaccines, I do not see a dependence. Maybe they ordered a little less Moderna. But the remaining vaccines are evenly distributed: link.

more or less, yes, but in general, countries like the US or Canada ordered almost double the amount, per capita:

vaccine-pre-orders.jpg

the EU strategy always needed multiple vaccines to be successful, and as they ordered late (Biontech was ordered in November, afaik, when it was already known that Sanofi wouldn't become available anytime soon) the chance to boost production early was missed. And the reason is, that from a 750 billion € recovery package, they only wanted to invest 2 billion for vaccines.

But well, now it's too late to still change anything about that anyway.

Hong Kong has ordered three vaccines Pfizer, Sinovac and Astra Zeneca - Apparently you can choose the vaccine when it's your time - What I like is that each vaccine has different approaches to attack COVID - Expect, the Chinese manufactured Sinovac will be the least popular.

That chart doesn't seem right. It's dated early December, but by that time, the US had only ordered 100 million doses (for a population of roughly 350 million). Late December, they ordered another 100 million:

The first Pfizer order from the EU was 200+100 million doses (for a population of roughly 450 million). The EU then extended that to 600 million.

Reactions: jmdirt
In Charlotte, NC instead of using a stadium for a mass vaccination site (the stadiums don't have large parking lots) Charlotte Motor Speedway is the option instead. Instead of the parking lot, they are actually using the track and garage area for the vaccination area. Here's an article about the entire experience.

Good news on the vaccine front. As predicted, the SA variant has more escape potential with 6 fold decreased neutralizing antibody, but still within the likely buffer zone of the vaccine. Waiting for a preprint on the data. The bigger potential issue is re-infection with the SA variant.

ETA. Preprint is up.

View: https://twitter.com/bbchealth/status/1353711199607795718

Last edited:
Very bad if true

Seems that AstraZeneca vaccine is only 8% effective for people over 65

Wow, that is bad if true. We still don't have accurate data from AstraZeneca in the first place as their Phase 3 trial data they did release was all over the place.

• Sad
In Charlotte, NC instead of using a stadium for a mass vaccination site (the stadiums don't have large parking lots) Charlotte Motor Speedway is the option instead. Instead of the parking lot, they are actually using the track and garage area for the vaccination area. Here's an article about the entire experience.

They should have people riding in circles Round the track and then pull into the pits to get their injection from the pit crew. I can think of a fun comedy skit to go with that.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
They should have people riding in circles Round the track and then pull into the pits to get their injection from the pit crew. I can think of a fun comedy skit to go with that.

The maybe sad part is I figured you'd drive around the track and get the shot in the pits, not the garage area before reading the article. LOL
Saturday Night Live could have some fun with it.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt and Sciatic
Some information about how well Pfizer's vaccine is working. It appears that the few who do get Covid after receiving both doses of the Pfizer vaccine end up with mild to moderate symptoms, but do not get them severe enough to go to the hospital. It also is appearing most who do get Covid after receiving the vaccine have chronic illnesses as well.

There is also data coming from Israel that the Pfizer vaccine after only 1 dose may only be 33% effective while after the 2nd dose on or close to on time is around 94% effective:

Some information about how well Pfizer's vaccine is working. It appears that the few who do get Covid after receiving both doses of the Pfizer vaccine end up with mild to moderate symptoms, but do not get them severe enough to go to the hospital. It also is appearing most who do get Covid after receiving the vaccine have chronic illnesses as well.

There is also data coming from Israel that the Pfizer vaccine after only 1 dose may only be 33% effective while after the 2nd dose on or close to on time is around 94% effective:

The antibody level really shoots up with the booster. This data seems believable to me.
We also have this. There is more in this story. Merck does have a therapeutic also in development which this article says they are continuing work on.

True, I heard they were already transitioning manufacturing space to the therapeutic. Makes sense from a business perspective. But it is unclear why their platform didn't work very well.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin

It's a scathing article, and the irony is that 15,000 covid positive people are on waitlists to get into hospital for a bed! See below:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Very bad if true

Seems that AstraZeneca vaccine is only 8% effective for people over 65

It is disaster but could be still helpfull if it have enough eficaccy for young healthy people. If they approve it for under 45 or something like that I would personally get it in february rather than wait for Pfizer or Moderna in late summer.

It is disaster but could be still helpfull if it have enough eficaccy for young healthy people. If they approve it for under 45 or something like that I would personally get it in february rather than wait for Pfizer or Moderna in late summer.

AstraZeneca are denying the reports and I think the decision regarding approval in the EU should be made this week so maybe finally some information will come out.

I think there was concern in Australia that the efficacy of AZ vaccine is not enough for herd immunity and with (maybe) such a low efficacy for over-65s, I also have the same doubts.

TRENDING THREADS