• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 267 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Rand Paul isn't pro-vaccine by any definition that I am aware of. And as of a few weeks ago, he had not even gotten the COVID-19 vaccine.
Paul has vaccinated his kids with all the childhood immunizations and he in 2015 tweeted out a photo of himself as he received a booster vaccination for Hepatitis A. I'm not real sure - but I thought I read somewhere that's he's not going to take the C19 vaccine because he was already infected and may have natural immunity.

This:

Dr. Hooman Noorchashm, MD, PhD (Immunology) cautions those who had prior exposure to the virus having antibodies from taking the vaccine (Antigen Specific Immune Response Inflammation).

"A Letter of Warning To FDA And Pfizer: On The immunological Danger Of COVID-19 Vaccination In The Naturally Infected:"

"The Calculus Of Safety In The COVID-19 Pandemic: The Dangers Of Natural Immunity Vs Vaccine Harm:"

Dr. Bhattacharya's words would have more relevance if he would ever take accountability for all the horrible takes that he has made throughout the pandemic, including this doozy just a couple months ago. But none of them ever do in any meaningful way, they just move on to the next thing. He is basically Berenson in a white lab coat.
The Indian 2nd wave is strongly exacerbated by toxic air pollution 4-6 times the accepted breathable levels resulting in ~1.67 million deaths every year. India suffers the most pollution-linked deaths in the world. Plus New Delhi has been experiencing a massive heat wave the last few weeks with temps averaging 40 degrees Celsius. Toxic air + extreme heat and no wonder Indians are experiencing high deaths rates from the 2nd wave.

Can you imagine cycling or running in that toxic air - it would be suicide!

Last edited:
Paul has vaccinated his kids with all the childhood immunizations and he in 2015 tweeted out a photo of himself as he received a booster vaccination for Hepatitis A. I'm not real sure - but I thought I read somewhere that's he's not going to take the C19 vaccine because he was already infected and may have natural immunity.
The CDC recommendation for those who are certain that they have already been infected is to still get vaccinated as long as you have not been treated with monoclonals or convalescent plasma within the last 90 days. The studies have shown that there is a boost in antibody titer even in those with prior infection. The informal discussion among immunologists is that people with known infections probably do not need to get the second dose if they don't want to, though that is not codified anywhere.

Hooman is omnipresent on twitter, so I am familiar with his stance. I think the overall safety profile seen with the 200m doses of vaccines given so far suggests his fears are not merited.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Thought that I would share my experience from getting the first dose (Moderna) last week if there's still someone here who is yet to get it.

Actually, side effects were a bit worse than expected - really sore arm for about two days, like I almost could not lift it above my head, likely due to internal swelling. Slight fever culminating during the second night. And then the next morning I woke up and soreness was gone and I felt almost completely fine. Maybe just still a bit tired.

Now after a few more days I think I am back to normal self, but I feel I lost a bit of my shape during those days, similarly as if I had real illness. I don't complain about the above - I think I understand why these side effects are almost desirable. But I know quite a lot of people who did not have any, so I was maybe a little bit surprised that they developed in my case.

Anyway, I am glad and grateful this first stage is behind me and I hope all of you guys who want to take the vaccine will get the opportunity soon!

Thought that I would share my experience from getting the first dose (Moderna) last week if there's still someone here who is yet to get it.

Actually, side effects were a bit worse than expected - really sore arm for about two days, like I almost could not lift it above my head, likely due to internal swelling. Slight fever culminating during the second night. And then the next morning I woke up and soreness was gone and I felt almost completely fine. Maybe just still a bit tired.

Now after a few more days I think I am back to normal self, but I feel I lost a bit of my shape during those days, similarly as if I had real illness. I don't complain about the above - I think I understand why these side effects are almost desirable. But I know quite a lot of people who did not have any, so I was maybe a little bit surprised that they developed in my case.

Anyway, I am glad and grateful this first stage is behind me and I hope all of you guys who want to take the vaccine will get the opportunity soon!
It's my understanding younger and/or healthier folk tend to have a stronger response to the vaccine simply because their immune systems are in a much better state. So being you sound like a healthy person I wouldn't see your crap side effects as a bad thing, your immune system is doing what it's supposed to.

For the scientists in the house am I understanding how these side effects come about correctly?

India is approaching 3 million active cases. 363,000 new cases on April 27 and bodies being burned in the streets. Deaths are currently close to 3,000 per day but will likely rise significantly in the days ahead. A work colleague of mine lost his uncle this week. It is very very sad.

But what is interesting is that some wondered how India had escaped before the current wave started in March. That now looks like pure luck. That luck has now run out and a catastrophe is unfolding.

Glad you were able to get dose 1. My understanding is that Moderna has more side effects. That's the one I had, although just sore arm and then a week after the first dose I had Covid arm. (If you get a rash about a week after dose 1, it's fairly common side effect for Moderna and nothing to worry about). After dose 2 I had bad chills for several hours.

I've read that younger people with stronger immune systems have stronger reactions to the first dose, although those who have had Covid can have stronger reactions to the first dose.

Glad you were able to get dose 1. My understanding is that Moderna has more side effects. That's the one I had, although just sore arm and then a week after the first dose I had Covid arm. (If you get a rash about a week after dose 1, it's fairly common side effect for Moderna and nothing to worry about). After dose 2 I had bad chills for several hours.

I've read that younger people with stronger immune systems have stronger reactions to the first dose, although those who have had Covid can have stronger reactions to the first dose.
Covid arm... I haven't heard that expression before but I love it! (Cause I've had my share of Covid arm after my second Pfizer dose. :tearsofjoy:)

Anyhoo, for those concerned the Covid arm does go away eventually, it may take a little longer for some than others. And that's okay, we're all a little different, after all.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Covid arm... I haven't heard that expression before but I love it! (Cause I've had my share of Covid arm after my second Pfizer dose. :tearsofjoy:)

Anyhoo, for those concerned the Covid arm does go away eventually, it may take a little longer for some than others. And that's okay, we're all a little different, after all.

Covid Arm refers to a warm (sometimes itchy) rash that shows up a week after your first dose of the vaccine and on rarer occasions a week after your second dose. It does have a small lump also. Yeah, the term being used for it. Mine wasn't itchy. It's not painful or sore, at most it's annoying. LOL Mine lasted for about 12ish hours.

India is approaching 3 million active cases. 363,000 new cases on April 27 and bodies being burned in the streets. Deaths are currently close to 3,000 per day but will likely rise significantly in the days ahead. A work colleague of mine lost his uncle this week. It is very very sad.

But what is interesting is that some wondered how India had escaped before the current wave started in March. That now looks like pure luck. That luck has now run out and a catastrophe is unfolding.
I guess political rallies and religious festivals haven't helped. Relaxing social distancing guidelines too soon has had a lot to do with the resurgence of the virus in different parts of the world. Add that to the new variants and its trouble on the way.

I guess political rallies and religious festivals haven't helped. Relaxing social distancing guidelines too soon has had a lot to do with the resurgence of the virus in different parts of the world. Add that to the new variants and its trouble on the way.

Yes someone mentioned the religious festivals in India started the current wave. We saw similar happen in the US after Thanksgiving.

There is an element of luck, but epidemiological compliance has been pretty good in India for the most part. Unfortunately, being good at virus mitigation in 2020 just means that there are a whole lot more people who are susceptible in 2021 if you take your foot off the gas pedal. A root cause of so many of these outbreaks is that we are stuck in zone where R is between 0.8 and 1.2. The most effective forms of mitigation can't be enforced for long periods in most places, if at all, so we are left with a patchwork of mitigation strategies that leave the whole population perpetually close to the precipice. Populations acting more normally will be punished by the very nature of exponential growth curves, especially if you run into seasonal effects that tilt the balance in the wrong direction. The curves look so flat at the beginning that the danger can be missed. Combine that with the 2-3 week lag between when infections happen and when the medical resources begin to be really stressed and by the time you realize you are in trouble, you may be in catastrophic trouble.

by the time you realize you are in trouble, you may be in catastrophic trouble.

This is the really scary thing about this virus. You can never relax and never become complacent. But where governments are competent and the people are sensible a near normal existence can be had. I feel like I am living in a bubble in Sydney life is near normal but we cannot relax.

This is the really scary thing about this virus. You can never relax and never become complacent. But where governments are competent and the people are sensible a near normal existence can be had. I feel like I am living in a bubble in Sydney life is near normal but we cannot relax.

I envy you... my son's school is closed again, after he's had like 10 real schooldays this year. Otherwise "homeschooling", which means tasks sent over the internet.
They are now talking about those who have been vaccinated twice to get certain rights back... meaning, if I understand it correctly, the others don't...

I envy you... my son's school is closed again, after he's had like 10 real schooldays this year. Otherwise "homeschooling", which means tasks sent over the internet.
They are now talking about those who have been vaccinated twice to get certain rights back... meaning, if I understand it correctly, the others don't...
Yes we are fortunate. The biggest danger is complacency. Currently flights from India to Australia are stopped. But can you believe people still saying that India’s deaths are nothing *special relative to population? I am saddened by the naivety and complacency. Have these people been living under a rock since March 2020? We even had own reminder what can go wrong in the state of Victoria where a slip up in quarantine and contact tracing led to a second wave which caused 800 deaths and the lockdown of the city of Melbourne.

*Edit: Posted from my phone yesterday and lost connection with the server.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
Yes we are fortunate. The biggest danger is complacency. Currently flights from India to Australia are stopped. But can you believe people still saying that India’s deaths are nothing s
Keep going, you have done so well and the end of the pandemic is close.

UK and the USA have been bailed out big time by the vaccine. But it is still amazing that after all this time, Sweden still can't get its act together.

View: https://twitter.com/WvSchaik/status/1387866995538923523

This week restaurants are open in Slovakia outdoor after five months. The problem is people act like crazy. I went for a beer tonight. I honestly thought I am time traveling and it is august 2019 again. People dont know to follow easing the rules. You allow them a bit and they act like it is over. Fortunetely in my county is 7D incidemcy 7 to 100 000. But you know. It is not over yet.

As an aside I find using emoticons in this thread rather confusing - some parts of an individual post I may agree with, but the rest might make me sad or even angry. So I don't know what kind of reaction emoji I'm supposed to use because one emoji won't even begin to cover it, I guess I prefer to just use none at all in those instances.

Anyhoo, just had to throw that out there, as you were.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Couple articles:

This week restaurants are open in Slovakia outdoor after five months. The problem is people act like crazy. I went for a beer tonight. I honestly thought I am time traveling and it is august 2019 again. People dont know to follow easing the rules. You allow them a bit and they act like it is over. Fortunetely in my county is 7D incidemcy 7 to 100 000. But you know. It is not over yet.
And your point in being in that bar was what?