• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 268 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In Flanders, over one third of the adult population has now received at least one vaccine dose. For the age group 65+, that is over 90%, and will rise a bit more as the last of those get their shots the next week. Vaccination speeds will pick up further, as vaccine deliveries will increase further, especially thanks to Pfizer.

Since the government has allowed AZ only for those 41 and older only, it means I will get one of the other three vaccines as I'm still just below that age limit. I'm quite happy with that - not because of the blood cloths, but because of the superiority of mRNA vaccines in general (yes, there's a small chance I may get offered Janssen, but they want to give that mostly to 'hard to reach' groups since it's one shot only). I should get my first shot sometime mid-June since it's by age + co-morbidities.

Vaccine take-up is markedly lower in Wallonia, but especially Brussels. Since there are 180 nationalities there, communication is more difficult, and especially in some groups, there's a lot of misinformation circulating via social media.

As an aside I find using emoticons in this thread rather confusing - some parts of an individual post I may agree with, but the rest might make me sad or even angry. So I don't know what kind of reaction emoji I'm supposed to use because one emoji won't even begin to cover it, I guess I prefer to just use none at all in those instances.

Anyhoo, just had to throw that out there, as you were.
Very true. Frequently posts here have content that is both informative, and sad. I usually give a thumbs up if its split, it doesn't mean that I like the sad part only that I appreciate the post. Just my $.01.

In Flanders, over one third of the adult population has now received at least one vaccine dose. For the age group 65+, that is over 90%, and will rise a bit more as the last of those get their shots the next week. Vaccination speeds will pick up further, as vaccine deliveries will increase further, especially thanks to Pfizer.

Since the government has allowed AZ only for those 41 and older only, it means I will get one of the other three vaccines as I'm still just below that age limit. I'm quite happy with that - not because of the blood cloths, but because of the superiority of mRNA vaccines in general (yes, there's a small chance I may get offered Janssen, but they want to give that mostly to 'hard to reach' groups since it's one shot only). I should get my first shot sometime mid-June since it's by age + co-morbidities.

Vaccine take-up is markedly lower in Wallonia, but especially Brussels. Since there are 180 nationalities there, communication is more difficult, and especially in some groups, there's a lot of misinformation circulating via social media.

That makes sense with the J&J vaccine, to use it for harder to get to areas. I know here some of the people who are taking that one are from the more hesitant groups as it's a single dose. Glad to hear supply is starting to increase.

Reactions: jmdirt
US has over 106 million fully vaccinated. VA San Diego -La Jolla has availability, asked if my non veteran neighbor can get a vaccine " does he ever drive you here? " if yes ,then yes he can.
listened to a radio report about Colombia having less than 4% of the population w 1 shot..51 million population..and seeing those cremation fires in India is heartbreaking.
Mexico has 14 of every 100 people vaccinated..and man you gotta hope that it is J&J single dose..dismal numbers

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
That makes sense with the J&J vaccine, to use it for harder to get to areas. I know here some of the people who are taking that one are from the more hesitant groups as it's a single dose. Glad to hear supply is starting to increase.
I have a feeling that the lack of supply early on here, inadvertently could lead to higher take-up in total. I think the scarcity makes most people feel more eager to get vaccinated. The vaccine becomes a really valuable product. Obviously, it also depends a lot on culture - some countries have enormous take-up (Spain, Benelux, Germany, UK, Scandinavian countries), some have much more difficulties in motivating/convincing their people (e.g. Keram's stories about Slovakia).

Meanwhile, much of Western and Central Europe has experienced the coldest April in decades. That means the weather hasn't been on our side the past weeks. Still, in many countries, infections are really trending down, and especially the number of hospital admissions should really start falling given that the most vulnerable groups are protected more and more.

In the US, this kind of stuff could lead to problems in the future in some states:

Meanwhile, much of Western and Central Europe has experienced the coldest April in decades. That means the weather hasn't been on our side the past weeks. Still, in many countries, infections are really trending down, and especially the number of hospital admissions should really start falling given that the most vulnerable groups are protected more and more.

In the US, this kind of stuff could lead to problems in the future in some states:
TBH, probably most of them rather than some of them because the urban vs rural uptake. And the problem will probably compound as the parents who don't want to get vaccinated will not vaccinate their kids and will lean on school boards to prevent vaccine requirements. This fall/ winter is going to be rough for the unvaccinated as localized outbreaks will be frequent.

Overall, I don't think the unvaccinated here realize how much they have been protected indirectly by people who are still doing mitigation despite being fully vaccinated or soon will be. That won't last much longer IMO.

Last edited:
TBH, probably most of them rather than some of them because the urban vs rural uptake. And the problem will probably compound as the parents who don't want to get vaccinated will not vaccinate their kids and will lean on school boards to prevent vaccine requirements. This fall/ winter is going to be rough for the unvaccinated as localized outbreaks will be frequent.

Overall, I don't think the unvaccinated here realize how much they have been protected indirectly by people who are still doing mitigation despite being fully vaccinated or soon will be. That won't last much longer IMO.

I suspect sometime this summer/fall most if not all of those efforts are going to go away. Now, personally, I'm going to keep wearing a mask during flu season, but that's a different story. I agree there are going to be localized out breaks that will more serious among unvaccinated groups.

It would be useful to know how many of the newly infected are in the fully vaccinated group. The inactivated vaccine likely does not have the same efficacy as the Pfizer vaccine, so comparisons to Israel are a little misleading. Worth pointing out that neither of their main vaccines use the double mutant spike that seems to generate the best immune response. If the Sinovac has 60% efficacy, you would need to get nearly everyone vaccinated to hit herd immunity. What their outbreak shows is that they are not there yet.

TRENDING THREADS