• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 288 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to the cdc 90% of seniors in the USA have had the vax. The other 10 % have likely had the virus and have antibodies.
Arkansas are at 1,000 case avg for 7 days that is half what it was for 2 or 3 months this past winter.
The pandemic will not last forever. If the FDA would issue full approval instead of emergency use that would help.

Time will tell on the origins of the virus. Everything that was stated as fact from the begining has changed. Simple things like mask wearing has changed. Just relax and stop trying to defend your opinion and not make up hyperbolic statements like nanobots.
That is a dubious claim. The bottom line is that seniors respond the worst to vaccination, so a lot of the people vaccinated probably don't have great protection. The whole point of public health is to vaccinate everybody to protect the vulnerable.

Nothing has changed that makes the claim of engineering COVID more likely than it was in early 2020. Zero. What has changed is that we have found out that China lied about having live animals in the wet markets and we also found out that they culled many of the wild animal farms afterwards. You do the math.
I mean if we are keeping count what is the number of 12 and under deaths from covid? 300 or less? And that number is not fully verified by the cdc. But that won't stop the panic will it?
337 by last count. I would argue that most parents don't want to see their kids hospitalized either and that is happening a much greater rate than mortality. I don't have kids, but I don't begrudge any parent that is concerned with the health of their child. Most of my co-workers have kids or g-kids in day care who can't get vaccinated. As numbers start to increase in MD, I am considering wearing my mask at work again. Nobody is panicking as evidenced by almost no changes to daily life anywhere in the US. But people need to know that the most likely outcome is that they will either get the vaccine or the virus. There is likely no door #3. Vaccines are plentiful and there is still time to develop immunity.

Stop trying to use politics and feel free to allow someone to question so called facts.
Your trying to worry about these politicians and letting them get under your skin in my opinion. Rand and Fauci are playing semantics.
Are politics allowed here?
Rand is playing and Fauci is not in the deadly seriousness of this issue. Rand was attempting to indicate that Fauci's agency knowingly and actively funded research for an end product and implying that he shares some responsibility if the Wuhan source turns out to be patient #1's infection point. Fauci pointed out that was not true and that maintaining dialogue with other countries is what we should be doing.
The other politicians and newsies I referenced were, up until the last few days also "playing" politics. Until the real Delta variant spread threatens the economy yet again. They were the last standing, institutionalized group casting doubt either actively or passively on vaccine effectiveness with many wrapping it into a issue of freedom and pure personal choice with consequences only to the individual. Now they are coming out of their respective venues of denial and not playing.

You're welcome to post opinion IMO. Opinion is not fact unless backed up, is it? Speculation also is not fact.

For people who got fully vaccinated with one of the mRNA vaccines. Still excellent protection (~90%) from Pfizer against severe cases of Delta. However, much less protection against mild illness. One of the facets of delta is that it colonizes the upper airways in greater numbers, so I think we are going to hear more about breakthrough cases in the vaccinated and vaccinated people transmitting it to others. I really don't see any way that COVID does not become endemic in every country in the world. The best case scenario was that we could make it more like Measles, where vaccination pretty much eliminates infection in a lot of places. I don't see how that is possible any longer.

View: https://twitter.com/segal_eran/status/1418260295550742528

According to the cdc 90% of seniors in the USA have had the vax. The other 10 % have likely had the virus and have antibodies.
Arkansas are at 1,000 case avg for 7 days that is half what it was for 2 or 3 months this past winter.
The pandemic will not last forever. If the FDA would issue full approval instead of emergency use that would help.

Time will tell on the origins of the virus. Everything that was stated as fact from the begining has changed. Simple things like mask wearing has changed. Just relax and stop trying to defend your opinion and not make up hyperbolic statements like nanobots.

Pfizer has applied for full approval. I don't know if Moderna has yet or not, although they are supposed to apply for it by the end of summer.

Just saw this. Duke and UNC Health systems will be requiring all employees to be vaccinated (obviously exemptions do apply, esp for medical reasons).

Also both health care systems are still requiring anyone who enters any of their facilities to wear masks, although they have loosened the requirement of needing surgical masks a few months ago to currently any face covering is acceptable.

Rand is playing and Fauci is not in the deadly seriousness of this issue. Rand was attempting to indicate that Fauci's agency knowingly and actively funded research for an end product and implying that he shares some responsibility if the Wuhan source turns out to be patient #1's infection point. Fauci pointed out that was not true and that maintaining dialogue with other countries is what we should be doing.
The other politicians and newsies I referenced were, up until the last few days also "playing" politics. Until the real Delta variant spread threatens the economy yet again. They were the last standing, institutionalized group casting doubt either actively or passively on vaccine effectiveness with many wrapping it into a issue of freedom and pure personal choice with consequences only to the individual. Now they are coming out of their respective venues of denial and not playing.

You're welcome to post opinion IMO. Opinion is not fact unless backed up, is it? Speculation also is not fact.
Just today that science scholar, Rep. Scalise of C19 war zone of Louisiana admitted he just took his first Pfizer shot. Meanwhile in the interwebs Matt Gaetz responded to a reporter's question regarding his vaccination status which he has not disclosed: "we should be talking about freeing Britney". Gotta love his dedication to helping young women get what they deserve instead of working for his constituency. Marjorie Taylor Greene likewise suggests responding to that question would "violate my HIPAA rights". No one on her staff has yet explained to her why what she said is wrong; likely because she locked up after they explained how to spell Hipaa.

Just saw this. Duke and UNC Health systems will be requiring all employees to be vaccinated (obviously exemptions do apply, esp for medical reasons).

Also both health care systems are still requiring anyone who enters any of their facilities to wear masks, although they have loosened the requirement of needing surgical masks a few months ago to currently any face covering is acceptable.
I would think this would just be a given for any healthcare employee, especially those who work in a hospital/ ER. As a hospital employee you just anticipate the patients who are coming in are ill already, so you need to protect yourself as much as you can. And if the patients expect you to stick around and treat them without getting ill yourself they will return the courtesy of at least wearing some kind of a mask in return themselves.

This does apply to Covid specifically, btw., which we still appear to know very little about.

Last edited:
I would think this would just be a given for any healthcare employee, especially those who work in a hospital/ ER. As a hospital employee you just anticipate the patients who are coming in are ill already, so you need to protect yourself as much as you can. And if the patients expect you to stick around and treat them without getting ill yourself they will return the courtesy of at least wearing some kind of a mask in return themselves.

This does apply to Covid specifically, btw., which we still appear to know very little about.

Yes, this is specifically about the Covid vaccine. There's a similar article from one of the Charlotte, NC news outlets that talks about their two biggest health care systems doing the same thing. The article from Charlotte says the employees in those systems have until the end of September to get the vaccine.

• Haha
Reactions: Ultrairon
To sort of repeat what I typed last week when most of the area health care providers here announced that they would require vaccines for health care providers, other employees, contractors, and vendors. How can health care people 'not get it'? Did they miss the disease part of their training? I shared that I frequently see groups of overweight, medical employees outside one facility smoking. Several of the people who have spoken to the media are overweight, and many of the people protesting are overweight. Clearly these people don't understand basic health. Look at the sister in the propublica story who isn't vaccinated. As I stated above, I'm not making fun of overweight people, but I'm not going to take them seriously when they talk about health risks.

I did find out that a CNA certificate only requires about 12 weeks of training so these people aren't really learning anything about health, they are learning how to use the tools of the trade, how to administer meds, and how to log Medicare/Medicaid hours.

* Many of the protesters obviously aren't employed in the health care field, they are just protesters, including the Idaho proud boys.

* overweight/too much body fat.

Just today that science scholar, Rep. Scalise of C19 war zone of Louisiana admitted he just took his first Pfizer shot. Meanwhile in the interwebs Matt Gaetz responded to a reporter's question regarding his vaccination status which he has not disclosed: "we should be talking about freeing Britney". Gotta love his dedication to helping young women get what they deserve instead of working for his constituency. Marjorie Taylor Greene likewise suggests responding to that question would "violate my HIPAA rights". No one on her staff has yet explained to her why what she said is wrong; likely because she locked up after they explained how to spell Hipaa.
Adding another vaccine booster (family): Phil Valentine/Conservative broadcaster from Tennessee had repeatedly discouraged listeners from vaccine participation. He is hospitalized with serious respiratory symptoms of Covid but not ventilated. His family is now urging all to get vaxxed. Hope Phil recovers his health and some new awareness.
And the hits keep coming.....

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Just a quick note to say that according to some randos with little to no education are appearing on the internet to say there's no danger at all. Who wouldn't take the word of a raging kook over an epidemiologist and/or doctor? Not me!
Nothing to see here, folks. No biggie. Don't worry about getting vaccinated. The whole thing is a giant hoax started by Bill Gates who wants to watch every single uneventful and boring move you make in your daily life.

Reactions: jmdirt
I did find out that a CNA certificate only requires about 12 weeks of training so these people aren't really learning anything about health, they are learning how to use the tools of the trade, how to administer meds, and how to log Medicare/Medicaid hours.
I would actually like to correct you on this one...

While the CNAs' education may seem minimal they do have to learn a lot before they pass the test and get State-certified. Each State's Board of Nursing varies though, (and they are the ones who determine the test), so there may be some discrepancies as to the actual CNAs' education and competency.

As an aside - the best education you will ever get as a future healthcare worker is probably from shadowing a phlebotomist in a hospital. But that's a bedtime story for another night.

Last edited:
I would actually like to correct you on this one...

While the CNAs' education may seem minimal they do have to learn a lot before they pass the test and get State-certified. Each State's Board of Nursing varies though, (and they are the ones who determine the test), so there may be some discrepancies as to the actual CNAs' education and competency.

As an aside - the best education you will ever get as a future healthcare worker is probably from shadowing a phlebotomist in a hospital. But that's a bedtime story for another night.
My point was that they aren't taking eight semesters of biology, kinesiology, physiology, anatomy, chemistry...before they take two more years of pre-med, med, practicum, clinicals...

My point was that they aren't taking eight semesters of biology, kinesiology, physiology, anatomy, chemistry...before they take two more years of pre-med, med, practicum, clinicals...
You mean the MDs have to study all that before they ever get to take a pulse or a blood pressure? Oh wait, even after they study all that and get their license they still won't do it (I suppose at that point it's beneath them), the CNAs do that. :p

Btw., jmd, I do share your concern regarding our downright obese healthcare workers (you mentioned this in another post), it makes me rather nervous when I see them waddling down the hospital hallways gasping for breath. I'm not sure who needs care first - them, or the actual patients?

Last edited:
Agree with this. This is a bit of tangent, but clinical lab programs were mostly online for the last year, leaving a lot of the hands-on training to be pushed to the employer, so there are also a lot of green lab techs entering the work force. Drawing blood might be an adventure for some this year.

Agree with this. This is a bit of tangent, but clinical lab programs were mostly online for the last year, leaving a lot of the hands-on training to be pushed to the employer, so there are also a lot of green lab techs entering the work force. Drawing blood might be an adventure for some this year.
I took some phlebotomy classes some years ago, it was fun because we got to practice on each other. There was quite a bit of bookwork, but it's just one of those hands-on things where the only way you learn is by actually doing it. So I can't even imagine online classes only.

Getting somewhat back on track... mask wearing has been lifted here in Eugene back beginning of July (except for people who are not vaccinated), and most people have ditched their masks. I still wear mine though when out in the public even though I'm fully vaccinated, I just don't trust other people. And with this delta variant, well, better safe than sorry.

Kind of amazed that the kid angle doesn't come up more..at all..
The population under 12 can't do or say anything. They can't get a vaccine,don't have a vote..not a big economic group..
So a really really good reason to wear a mask,get vaccinated..so that you don't infect and kill kids. Once parents and children have options available, discussion can change,but for now we owe it to vulnerable children,not to murder them because you want sushi or think that shopping at Wal-Mart in what you consider a hassle free environment..
once kids can be protected,vaccinated things can relax..some

TRENDING THREADS