• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 293 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Natural immunity shouldn't be underestimated:

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
John Hopkins just have not received the panic memo yet.
For large cities in Texas for an example Dallas and Houston.
The guardian is like a panic center.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Get outside and exercise might be a campaigne places like Mississippi , Arkansas, Alabama, should start. Take a look at the horrible demographic numbers on the hospitalizations in Mississippi with covid. The obesity rates for those hospitalizations are incredible. Someone should get a handle on obesity in this country or many more will die. Why don't we talk about these issues? Well because in my opinion it does not fit the direction the media want this to go. Just look at the crap headlines. Recently cnn (tobin zoomin spanking it) report that 4 teachers pass away from covid. Along with other various back to school panic. But wait school has not even started yet. So they contracted the disease while school had NOTHING to do with it.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
Natural immunity shouldn't be underestimated:

Look for Dr. Shane Crotty and Eric Topol graphs on immunity (several have be shared up thread).

I hope that natural immunity helps those who are counting on it!

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
All 3 of those teachers were under 50 too. Also all 3 were unvaccinated. Natural immunity did not work out for them.

Really unthinkable that we are going to concentrate the unvaccinated (u12) together in schools without any mitigation in some locations. What can go wrong, right?
Why Unthinkable? Florida and various other states did it all last year without a vax. available.
Sure would help to get the vax approved by the FDA then all excuses will be taken away.

Get outside and exercise might be a campaigne places like Mississippi , Arkansas, Alabama, should start. Take a look at the horrible demographic numbers on the hospitalizations in Mississippi with covid. The obesity rates for those hospitalizations are incredible. Someone should get a handle on obesity in this country or many more will die. Why don't we talk about these issues? Well because in my opinion it does not fit the direction the media want this to go. Just look at the crap headlines. Recently cnn (tobin zoomin spanking it) report that 4 teachers pass away from covid. Along with other various back to school panic. But wait school has not even started yet. So they contracted the disease while school had NOTHING to do with it.
Many schools have started. There was even already a school shooting. A lady I work with has her 3rd grader home already after only ~10 days of school because11 of 24 kids in his class tested positive (strange that happened since you claim that schools haven't started yet huh?). Most of the rest of the districts around here start Monday. Do a quick search man, there are schools all over the country in session, and some are already having SARS-CoV-2 issues.

You can't criticize the media for sensationalism and and 'not truths' by using sensationalism and not truths.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Look for Dr. Shane Crotty and Eric Topol graphs on immunity (several have be shared up thread).

I hope that natural immunity helps those who are counting on it!
Looks like Nomad is the only person on this forum who has not taken the vax?
I think the majority of people who do not want the vax are not counting on natural immunity or anything else. They are most likely comfortable with the percentages? I am just guessing. Eventually many countries are going to start treating this disease the same as the flu. An annual vax and possible some with existing health issues will require a booster. What I don't understand is the ongoing fascination with the people who don't want to get the vax? If you got the vax and believe in it like I do then why worry about them? I have my own opinions why but you might not like them.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Many schools have started. There was even already a school shooting. A lady I work with has her 3rd grader home already after only ~10 days of school because11 of 24 kids in his class tested positive (strange that happened since you claim that schools haven't started yet huh?). Most of the rest of the districts around here start Monday. Do a quick search man, there are schools all over the country in session, and some are already having SARS-CoV-2 issues.

You can't criticize the media for sensationalism and and 'not truths' by using sensationalism and not truths.
I was posting about the 4 who were in broward county. School had not started there it starts 18 Aug. By the way who is a man?

Here is some additional quotes from stupid fear mongers at cnn after they realized the story was not quite right even on the facts.
"An earlier version of this story mischaracterized one of the four people who died based on information provided by the Broward Teachers Union. That person has been identified as a female Broward County Public Schools graduate with close ties to the school district through her job," the correction read, which was also reiterated on Twitter.

The article maintained its framing with the headline, "3 Broward County, Florida, educators died within about 24 hours from Covid-19 complications," leaving out the fact that the educators did not contract the virus on the job. BECAUSE SCHOOL WAS NOT IN SESSION YET!
Please change the part of your post that says I am using sensationalism and not truths. I just showed what my post was based on and those were the facts.

Last edited:
I think the majority of people who do not want the vax are not counting on natural immunity or anything else. They are most likely comfortable with the percentages? I am just guessing. Eventually many countries are going to start treating this disease the same as the flu. An annual vax and possible some with existing health issues will require a booster. What I don't understand is the ongoing fascination with the people who don't want to get the vax? If you got the vax and believe in it like I do then why worry about them? I have my own opinions why but you might not like them.
I've explained that several times so I feel like you are being disingenuous with that question. The short answer is that no vaccination is a magic forcefield. Should you have even a few days of discomfort because someone else doesn't see the importance of this? Should someone suffer long term complication because someone else doesn't see the importance of this? Should someone have to die because someone else doesn't see the importance of this? BTW, its not a fascination, it disappointment and disgust.

You keep harping (fascination?) on the media blowing it out of proportion, but at least 620,000 (USA) people have died so far. That's significant.

I'm pretty sure I won't like your opinions about why, but that hasn't stopped you before.

EDIT: I agree that the media doesn't cover, for example, the flu like this, but 1) maybe they should, and 2) the flu kills on average about 30,000 a year (USA) which is far less than the ~370,000 (USA) that died in 2020, and ~250,000 (USA) so far this year of SARS-CoV-2. (2021 has already surpassed 2020 globally.) Maybe heart disease and cancer should be covered more thoroughly as well since they kill 100s of 1000s of people as well.

Last edited:
So, our vaccination numbers don't seem to be entirely reliable...
could be 10% more... :tearsofjoy:
Among the reasons the 1x J&J vaccine and that the vaccination numbers of doctors in companies often aren't transferred into the system.

Update, it really could be 20% more for first shots.

I don't know how you can work with these numbers if they might be sooo wrong.

I just listened to a report about the (big) increase in Ivermectin prescriptions in this area. People are 'doctor shopping' (going to several doctors trying to get one to prescribe), and going to feed stores to get the animal version. One pharmacist said that he sometimes fills one prescription a year for it, but has already filled 25 this year. Another pharmacist said that she had never filled a prescription for it until this summer, but has now filled a few dozen.

I really don't understand this. You flat out don't trust science/government...who ever/whatever, but an animal anti-parasite drug seems like a better/safer bet than a vaccine developed specifically for SARS-CoV-2? Not to mention that it was developed by that same science/government that you don't trust. Maybe the fact that it has been around for 50 years makes them feel 'safer', but it was never tested or used like this so is it safe(r)? I hope that people don't have serious issues.

I have concerns about these doctors as well. Opioid crisis anyone?

I don't know - why not take a head count? Lol. It's seems to be the same small number of people that post regularly here so it wouldn't surprise me. Keep in mind there could be others who are not vaccinated who post exclusively on the cycling threads but don't post here.

FWIW, I considering taking the vaccine so I haven't completely ruled it out (my health provider offers either the Pfizer or Moderna). Two concerns of mine are natural immunity vs vaccine immunity and long & short-term side-effects. I may have had Covid afterall way back in Feb, 2020, as opposed to a case of the severe flu. In speaking with my primary care physician's office a few months ago when I was getting some routine lab work done, it's possible that it was Covid. I matched up with all the symptoms including anosmia, which I never had before with any previous flu (and I haven't had the seasonal flu in over 10 yrs!). My 21 yr old son was also sick & had identical symptoms. I discussed all these symptoms & my recovery in a discussion here with "MI" about a year ago or so (btw, what has happened to MI?). I was 59 at the time, needed no medical intervention & recovered over a period of several weeks. Same with my son - and neither one of us appear to have any of "long Covid" complications. So, in having natural immunity, I'm concerned about any Antibody Dependent Enhancement problems that could arise if I take the vaccine and later become infected with the virus.

The short-term side-effects are also a concern - but much less now. I'm in the gym 6 days a week doing "Silver-Era" bodybuilding training (and training my son who is finishing up college). I've made a lot of friends & acquaintances of all ages over the last year or so since the gym reopened - most of whom have taken either the Pfizer & Moderna vaccine. None have reported any side-effects with some taking the vaccine as long as 5 months ago (one powerlifter, a 29 yr old male, told me he was sick in bed with flu-like symptoms for a full day after the 2nd shot - but felt fine the next day). So, this is encouraging from our standpoint and giving us a little more piece of mind. However, what about any long-term side-effects? Don't we need atleast 2-3 yrs of data to get a better understanding?

Last edited:
Dr. Marty Makary, M.D. M.P.H.
John's Hopkins Medicine.

"Why COVID-19 Vaccines Should Not Be Required for All Americans."

The use of false equivalent communicable compared to non communicable weakens the argument. BUT...

The main reasoning stated is: "No. As a physician with a lot of experience dealing with patients who don't follow what we ask them to do, I believe you win more bees with honey than fire. " Not that it shouldn't be mandated per se, but mandating it will make anti people more anti.

From the article: "Now, if someone does not have natural immunity from prior infection, then they should immediately go out and get the vaccine. I'm pro-vaccine. "

I don't think that this article supports your assertion.

RE: one dose vs two for kids under 12: I thought that one of the trials was testing that?

Reactions: Koronin
I don't know - why not take a head count? Lol. It's seems to be the same small number of people that post regularly here so it wouldn't surprise me. Keep in mind there could be others who are not vaccinated who post exclusively on the cycling threads but don't post here.

FWIW, I considering taking the vaccine so I haven't completely ruled it out (my health provider offers either the Pfizer or Moderna). Two concerns of mine are natural immunity vs vaccine immunity and long & short-term side-effects. I may have had Covid afterall way back in Feb, 2020, as opposed to a case of the severe flu. In speaking with my primary care physician's office a few months ago when I was getting some routine lab work done, it's possible that it was Covid. I matched up with all the symptoms including anosmia, which I never had before with any previous flu (and I haven't had the seasonal flu in over 10 yrs!). My 21 yr old son was also sick & had identical symptoms. I discussed all these symptoms & my recovery in a discussion here with "MI" about a year ago or so (btw, what has happened to MI?). I was 59 at the time, needed no medical intervention & recovered over a period of several weeks. Same with my son - and neither one of us appear to have any of "long Covid" complications. So, in having natural immunity, I'm concerned about any Antibody Dependent Enhancement problems that could arise if I take the vaccine and later become infected with the virus.

The short-term side-effects are also a concern - but much less now. I'm in the gym 6 days a week doing "Silver-Era" bodybuilding training (and training my son who is finishing up college). I've made a lot of friends & acquaintances of all ages over the last year or so since the gym reopened - most of whom have taken either the Pfizer & Moderna vaccine. None have reported any side-effects with some taking the vaccine as long as 5 months ago (one powerlifter, a 29 yr old male, told me he was sick in bed with flu-like symptoms for a full day after the 2nd shot - but felt fine the next day). So, this is encouraging from our standpoint and giving us a little more piece of mind. However, what about any long-term side-effects? Don't we need atleast 2-3 yrs of data to get a better understanding?
You can test for antibodies.

I wonder about MI too, hope all is well.

The use of false equivalent communicable compared to non communicable weakens the argument. BUT...

The main reasoning stated is: "No. As a physician with a lot of experience dealing with patients who don't follow what we ask them to do, I believe you win more bees with honey than fire. " Not that it shouldn't be mandated per se, but mandating it will make anti people more anti.

From the article: "Now, if someone does not have natural immunity from prior infection, then they should immediately go out and get the vaccine. I'm pro-vaccine. "

I don't think that this article supports your assertion.
Yes...I understand Dr. Makary's position on those that do not have natural immunity from prior infection should take the vaccine. I was referring to his statement on natural immunity from prior COVID infection:

"Also: Some people already have 'natural immunity' – that is, immunity from prior COVID infection. During every month of this pandemic, I've had debates with other public researchers about the effectiveness and durability of natural immunity. I've been told that natural immunity could fall off a cliff, rendering people susceptible to infection. But here we are now, over a year and a half into the clinical experience of observing patients who were infected, and natural immunity is effective and going strong. And that's because with natural immunity, the body develops antibodies to the entire surface of the virus, not just a spike protein constructed from a vaccine. The power of natural immunity was recently affirmed in an Israeli study, which found a 6.7 times greater level of protection among those with natural immunity vs. those with vaccinated immunity."

"Requiring the vaccine in people who are already immune with natural immunity has no scientific support. While vaccinating those people may be beneficial – and it's a reasonable hypothesis that vaccination may bolster the longevity of their immunity – to argue dogmatically that they must get vaccinated has zero clinical outcome data to back it. As a matter of fact, we have data to the contrary: A Cleveland Clinic study found that vaccinating people with natural immunity did not add to their level of protection."

Last edited:

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
That is some wild reporting even considering the source. Here is a site for three major locations in Texas - Dallas / Austin / Houston this article obviously did not do any research and are lazy. The cases and hospitalizations are similar or less than last summer and obviously less than this past winter where the deaths and hospitalizations were much higher. Take a look at the historical data in the links I have attached.

Where was the reporting when the mask mandates were lifted in Texas and numbers went down? Lazy reporting and lazy to just post it up here without any actual comments.

The worst situations the state of Texas has is in Border towns. The disease is running rampant due to various reasons that could all be stopped but the political will is all out of fcks.

Meanwhile Johns Hopkins site does not show a strain on medical facilities for the USA that is greater than this past winter.

TRENDING THREADS