• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 295 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would think that people with analytical skills would be more inclined to get the vaccine. It's very basic risk analysis. I don't really understand such an outcome.

Note: I have a PhD in sciences myself. All my colleagues are vaccinated, as far as I'm aware.
Remember that the graph that was shared was the resistance of unvaccinated people so vaccinated people are not included in the calculation (am I remembering that correctly?). I can only speak for the ones I work with on a regular basis, and they are all vaccinated as of early summer. I have heard that one of our campuses is only at about 50%, but we have another that is 100% so...

Reactions: Koronin
Remember that the graph that was shared was the resistance of unvaccinated people so vaccinated people are not included in the calculation (am I remembering that correctly?). I can only speak for the ones I work with on a regular basis, and they are all vaccinated as of early summer. I have heard that one of our campuses is only at about 50%, but we have another that is 100% so...

Line 69-75. If you were vaccinated you counted as not being hesitant, but they were part of the total.

Reactions: jmdirt
Part two of Nicholas Wade's descent into hack-dom.

Fauci and Farrar together control a large portion of the funds available for virological research in the Western world. A virologist keen to continue his career would be very attentive to their wishes. Two of the conference participants had multimillion-dollar grant proposals under final review with NIAID at the time of the call.

In August 2020 the NIAID announced it would award $82m over five years to 10 participants in its new network for detecting infectious diseases. Among the lucky winners: Daszak, Andersen, and his associate Robert Garry.

Hard to believe that the very people convened to discuss the origins of COVID-19 because of their expertise would also be in the running for grants based on the same expertise. A real head scratcher....

From the nation with one of the world's highest levels of vaccination - 78% for 12 & older:

"A grim warning from Israel: Vaccination blunts, but does not defeat Delta:"

"What is clear is that “breakthrough” cases are not the rare events the term implies. As of 15 August, 514 Israelis were hospitalized with severe or critical COVID-19, a 31% increase from just 4 days earlier. Of the 514, 59% were fully vaccinated. Of the vaccinated, 87% were 60 or older. “There are so many breakthrough infections that they dominate and most of the hospitalized patients are actually vaccinated,” says Uri Shalit, a bioinformatician at the Israel Institute of Technology (Technion) who has consulted on COVID-19 for the government. “One of the big stories from Israel [is]: ‘Vaccines work, but not well enough.’”

Of the 514 hospitalized for severe or critical Covid almost 60% were fully vaccinated? What the heck? Doesn't sound good Pfizer - your product is becoming unreliable against the variants.

Wait until this starts happening in the U.S. - if it already hasn't. I can't imagine the frustration & anxiety with so many people that put hope & faith into the vaccines to protect from severe/serious symptoms. And wait until the fear & hysteria sets in with the vaccinated. It'll be mask mandates, social distancing & panic shopping all over again.

Last edited:
Dumb to me given American history to discuss religion,education,geography,race,sex..in WWII..didn't matter which one of the things I listed was a factor, for the most part Americans came together to fight and win the war. When Covid was originally described as the enemy,we were at war..even then the lack of knowledge, lack of history put us down the path of town to town independent armies ..it was stupid then and just as stupid now. Next thing you know we have big flag waving rallies proclaiming the government mandating child safety seats is a government over reach..are we really really going to debate public health issues like smoking around infants and children..speeding in a vehicle as some personal liberty issue?
It's down the rabbit hole when American leadership tried to engage in the blame game,who done it, in the middle of this..and it's debatable..if we are in the middle of this..
If we don't,can't work together we are all f-cked.

Highlights

•People higher in verbal ability had more polarized responses to COVID-19.
•Skill with numbers predicted lower risk perceptions, but not polarization.
•People higher in verbal ability interpreted information to support beliefs.
•People higher in verbal ability were more polarized in media consumption.

From the nation with one of the world's highest levels of vaccination - 78% for 12 & older:

Of the 514 hospitalized for severe or critical Covid almost 60% were fully vaccinated? What the heck? Doesn't sound good Pfizer - your product is becoming unreliable against the variants.

Wait until this starts happening in the U.S. - if it already hasn't. I can't imagine the frustration & anxiety with so many people that put hope & faith into the vaccines to protect from severe/serious symptoms. And wait until the fear & hysteria sets in with the vaccinated. It'll be mask mandates, social distancing & panic shopping all over again.
That was true a few months ago, but not really the case any more. Partially due to their demographics, they are now even behind France in percentage of population vaccinated. But it does make them a good bell-weather as the article states.

As for the second part, the vaccinated elderly are still 5x less likely to have serious disease even in Israel (see graph in article). Plus that cohort would be expected to have the least beneficial vaccination effects. For that reason, a key facet of the whole herd immunity concept to public health is to vaccinate the young to protect the old.

With all the talk of boosters and EUAs in u12 people, one thing I haven't heard much about is updating the vaccine based on the variants.

Israel new numbers are little concerning. If not vaccines I really dont know how we can find way out of this pandemic. Lockdowns or zero covid strategy is not possible in long term. I am way too tired with this. It was too long in august 2020 already. I cant tell I have bad summer. Not at all. I have summer on par with pre pandemic maybe even better. But this uncertainity about future drives me crazy. Never in my life I lived so much carpe diem like last few months because I fear next months in possible lockdowns. Maybe all this will teach me a lesson to enjoy better times in my life.

First episode of slovak vaccination lottery was so much ridiculous even best writters couldnt write such a farce. You win 10k eur when they choose you. You can win 100k eur if only you answer a call up to 20 seconds and tell password from the screen in 20 next seconds. 4 of 5 people lost it. One end call because he thought it is prank. Another one didnt answer because he is firefighter and was in work. Another wasnt able to tell password because didnt watch tv. Last lady did everything right but her broadcast was 25 seconds delayed so she didnt tell password in time. She lost 400k because when somebody lost next person could win "his" money. This lottery literally frustrates people.

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin

"A grim warning from Israel: Vaccination blunts, but does not defeat Delta:"

"What is clear is that “breakthrough” cases are not the rare events the term implies. As of 15 August, 514 Israelis were hospitalized with severe or critical COVID-19, a 31% increase from just 4 days earlier. Of the 514, 59% were fully vaccinated. Of the vaccinated, 87% were 60 or older. “There are so many breakthrough infections that they dominate and most of the hospitalized patients are actually vaccinated,” says Uri Shalit, a bioinformatician at the Israel Institute of Technology (Technion) who has consulted on COVID-19 for the government. “One of the big stories from Israel [is]: ‘Vaccines work, but not well enough.’”

Except in Texas where the Governor has banned vaccine and mask mandates. Right up to....(wait....wait....) he tested positive today in spite of having a vaccine. Texas' Gov Abbot has tread the same path as Fla. Governor DeSantis who was vaccinated in April; before almost anyone else could get one. The fear and hysteria of vaccines is already present in those states and they are overwhelmingly the most impacted. That is until they spread their love to the rest of the country.

That was true a few months ago, but not really the case any more. Partially due to their demographics, they are now even behind France in percentage of population vaccinated. But it does make them a good bell-weather as the article states.

As for the second part, the vaccinated elderly are still 5x less likely to have serious disease even in Israel (see graph in article). Plus that cohort would be expected to have the least beneficial vaccination effects. For that reason, a key facet of the whole herd immunity concept to public health is to vaccinate the young to protect the old.

With all the talk of boosters and EUAs in u12 people, one thing I haven't heard much about is updating the vaccine based on the variants.

I've been thinking that for a bit now. I wonder if they are waiting for full approval from the FDA before they announce any 'modifications'.

As for the second part, the vaccinated elderly are still 5x less likely to have serious disease even in Israel (see graph in article). Plus that cohort would be expected to have the least beneficial vaccination effects.
It's a bit baffling how many people seem to lack pretty basic skills of deduction like this.

To my surprise, the head of BioNTech recently said he saw no reason to adapt their vaccine to Delta. I don't really understand this. Both for public health and marketing, it would seem a no-brainer to indeed optimize the vaccine, which - for mRNA based ones - should be relatively straightforward.

Israel new numbers are little concerning. If not vaccines I really dont know how we can find way out of this pandemic. Lockdowns or zero covid strategy is not possible in long term. I am way too tired with this. It was too long in august 2020 already. I cant tell I have bad summer. Not at all. I have summer on par with pre pandemic maybe even better. But this uncertainity about future drives me crazy. Never in my life I lived so much carpe diem like last few months because I fear next months in possible lockdowns. Maybe all this will teach me a lesson to enjoy better times in my life.

First episode of slovak vaccination lottery was so much ridiculous even best writters couldnt write such a farce. You win 10k eur when they choose you. You can win 100k eur if only you answer a call up to 20 seconds and tell password from the screen in 20 next seconds. 4 of 5 people lost it. One end call because he thought it is prank. Another one didnt answer because he is firefighter and was in work. Another wasnt able to tell password because didnt watch tv. Last lady did everything right but her broadcast was 25 seconds delayed so she didnt tell password in time. She lost 400k because when somebody lost next person could win "his" money. This lottery literally frustrates people.
I hope this new lottery reality TV show doesn't have an effect on mental health.............it seems the pitfalls of live TV and radio never change...........

Reactions: jmdirt and Keram

of course this ain't great news, but I wouldn't jump to the same conclusion. In that age group 60+ the vaccination rate is around 90% even, so going by the numbers you posted, 10% of unvaccinated almost cause the same number of hospitilizations as those 90% which got their two jabs.

It doesn't come close to the initially expected numbers (of 20-1 or so) anymore, but I'd say it still confirms that vaccination works.

To my surprise, the head of BioNTech recently said he saw no reason to adapt their vaccine to Delta. I don't really understand this. Both for public health and marketing, it would seem a no-brainer to indeed optimize the vaccine, which - for mRNA based ones - should be relatively straightforward.
I am a bit surprised that the boosters are still going to be the original spike. The technical ability to change the vaccines is not terribly difficult, but I don't think they have the regulatory framework to change to delta even if they wanted to. Maybe that is because there are other pressing issues and this part is going on behind the scenes, but I have not heard much about it. Doesn't sound like anybody else has either.

The Israeli data needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but it does suggest (and is supported by other as of yet incomplete and often anecdotal evidence) that we're going to need boosters more frequently than most speculated. The good news is that surely that'll be impossible to do in a timely manner without expropriating the vaccines in order to take their mass production to a whole new level. Less wealthy countries could benefit from that.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
What makes you think that expropriation will increase production (to a whole new level)? If it was that easy, wouldn't the huge pile of money on the table already have meant that production would have been greater?
I have no reason to think vaccine manufacturers haven't already scaled up production as much and as quickly as they think it's financially sound for them to do. States face different obstacles.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
If it would be far cheaper for other companies to produce the vaccines than to scale up production, why wouldn't they license the patent to them? Remember, there's no monopoly.

I think it's quite difficult to scale up production, and I don't think it's easy to transfer the expertise required. This is not the production of cookies.

When there was news of the price increase for Pfizer and Moderna for EU a couple of weeks ago one of the reasons mentioned was adaptability to new variants.

Not sure how reliable this link is, but it is in line with what I remember reading