• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 299 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
An interesting experiment is going on in Belgium. As you may know, this is a complex country. Who is responsible for what is partly federal, partly down to the regions. The mentality of people, their sources of information, and the population's cultural background is also different in the different parts.

As a result, the vaccine rates vary quite a bit.

In Flanders, the vaccine take-up is very high. 90% of adults have been vaccinated (88.5% fully), and over 75% of 12-17 year olds. In Wallonia and the German-speaking region, this is slightly lower (more or less comparable to the average in W-Europe), but in Brussels, it's quite low: only about 60% of adults have been vaccinated, and among the 12-17 year olds, only slightly over 20%.

The result of that is that not only is the incidence of hospitalization much higher in Brussels (and about 95% of those are unvaccinated), the loosening of the measures has also been different. In Flanders, almost everything will be allowed again next month, and children will not be required to wear face masks once schools restart (Sept 1st), but in Brussels, pubs still need to close earlier, and face masks will remain compulsory in the classroom.

Incidentally, Flanders is coloured 'orange' on the European covid risk map (medium risk), while Brussels is coloured dark red (the 'worst'). Also, almost 50% of infections in Brussels is caused by people returning from holidays. Of people returning from Morocco (and there are many of them, many have their roots there) - over 10% are returning covid-positive - which is quite amazing.

Let's see how this evolves further.
Wow, 90% in Flanders, that’s amazing—I didn’t know any country/large region would be able to get that high. Thanks for the info.

Maybe next spring we’ll be seeing the first edition of Liege-Gent-Liege ;)

Because Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham said it was OK. Besides: the labelling for Ivermectin says it's for horses and cows so my closely held image of not-a-sheep are preserved.
That, and the FDA said not to use it so we is goin' to do it because they are the Devil.
They wash their beards with this:

I had to grab some windshield washer fluid, and the lady in front of me in line was about 8 months pregnant. She told the lady at the till: "I obviously don't need a vaccine because I obviously have a good immune system because I obviously got pregnant!" She might have said obviously two more times that I omitted from my mind trying to figure out her reasoning. When I saw the guy driving the chi-mo van that she got into, it proved her theory wrong because even a poor immune system would have rejected the sperm from the dude. :eek:

Last edited:
There is a systemic church-based influence, delivered from the pulpit on much of that population that trickles down to family. The Evangelical US churches wholeheartedly embraced the "faith" angle while supporting political candidates and I hear it still from old acquaintances. The "lack of testing" is the extent of any response based on science ( they can't explain what testing would be adequate although one guy refused because he heard it hadn't been tested on pregnant women), followed quickly by a "faith in God..." It's not just in Mississippi; it's in our state in two counties that are historically conservative. Washington may be heading to a lockdown again in Snohomish and Pierce Counties. WTF.
And in more evangelical news:
National Religious Broadcasters’ Dan Darling Fired After Making Pro-Vaccine Statements on Morning Joe

Natalie Korach 15 hrs ago
and.....

Caleb Wallace, Anti-Mask 'Freedom Rally' Organizer, Dies at 30 With COVID
Alex Noble 16 hrs ago
http://a.msn.com/0A/en-us/AANQY7H?ocid=sf

https://web.whatsapp.com/send?text=http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AANQVwm?ocid=sw

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Several local folks claiming not to be sheep were on the news explaining why they are taking sheep parasite treatment instead of the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, hmm. :rolleyes:
Ivermectin is used in humans though. The problem is they are using it as a preemptive treatment for covid correct? In large non human doses is what I was reading.
As a kid I remember people being prescribed ivermectin for ringworms. The are not sheep or goats. By the way its more common use is for goats de-worming. More goats that sheep. ;)

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I had to grab some windshield washer fluid, and the lady in front of me in line was about 8 months pregnant. She told the lady at the till: "I obviously don't need a vaccine because I obviously have a good immune system because I obviously got pregnant!" She might have said obviously two more times that I omitted from my mind trying to figure out her reasoning. When I saw the guy driving the chi-mo van that she got into, it proved her theory wrong because even a poor immune system would have rejected the sperm from the dude. :eek:
My same feeling when I see someone walking their dog outside in 100 degree temps with a mask on alone. Or the crazy wearing a mask alone in a car. Obviously there are some stupid people in this world.

My same feeling when I see someone walking their dog outside in 100 degree temps with a mask on alone. Or the crazy wearing a mask alone in a car. Obviously there are some stupid people in this world.
I agree with you mostly, but I would rather see people wearing their mask too much than not enough. Plus, when you see someone in a car alone you don't know if they just jumped in and forgot to remove their mask (I just did this the other day leaving work...probably drove for 1/2 mile with it on...laughed out loud at myself), or maybe they are going to pick someone else up and don't want to fill the car with their germs (picking grandma up for her Dr. appointment...).

Often it's just more convenient to leave your mask on than to put it on and take it off intermittently depending on whether or not you're outdoors. Especially because you'd have to put it somewhere safe when you take it off.
Several local folks claiming not to be sheep were on the news explaining why they are taking sheep parasite treatment instead of the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, hmm. :rolleyes:
This is amazing. The liberal media advocates proper medical care including vaccines, so they're anathema because FREEDOM. The liberal media doesn't advocate ivermectin, so it's automatically safe and perfectly fine to take and it doesn't impede on anyone's FREEDOM, as taking it reinforces your identity as "not a liberal". They're not even consistent about believing covid is not a big deal and not needing special care for it. Literally everything is about owning the libs with these people.

Often it's just more convenient to leave your mask on than to put it on and take it off intermittently depending on whether or not you're outdoors. Especially because you'd have to put it somewhere safe when you take it off.

This is amazing. The liberal media advocates proper medical care including vaccines, so they're anathema because FREEDOM. The liberal media doesn't advocate ivermectin, so it's automatically safe and perfectly fine to take and it doesn't impede on anyone's FREEDOM, as taking it reinforces your identity as "not a liberal". They're not even consistent about believing covid is not a big deal and not needing special care for it. Literally everything is about owning the libs with these people.
This is a good point too. My campus has several wings and buildings, and when we are moving from place to place I leave my mask on because its just easier IMO. I'd say about 50% of my colleagues remove their mask for the quick outdoor transition (30-60seconds), and then put it back on.

"'rona is a hoax, but I'll take some farm anti parasite stuff anyway."

Reactions: Koronin
New article based on data obtained in Belgium shows that infections after "high-risk contact" with someone covid-positive were markedly lower if that covid-positive person was vaccinated. And of course, if you yourself were vaccinated, the risk of getting infected was also significantly lower.

Vaccines don't only protect yourself, but also others.

The small print says it's thought to have mutated locally, however we did have tens of thousands of people passing through with Olympics (till ongoing) - and many Olympic travelers have wound up in tourist shopping places in Tokyo, including some athletes, so who's to say it didn't come via Mr Bach's IOC ?

This can't be good at a time when all these "booster" shots are needing approval:

This can't be good at a time when all these "booster" shots are needing approval:

1. Boosters will be out before they leave.
  2. They are leaving because they feel sidelined from decision making.
  3. Based on 1 and 2, I don't see how the headline matches reality.

Reactions: noob and Koronin

TRENDING THREADS