• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 308 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't have a specific link..number of weeks ago I was out eating and drinking..reverse order..on one of two of the big screens was para Olympic sitting volleyball..US women vs I think Russia..it literally took my breath away and filled me with uncontrolled emotion on many levels..some masks in use..the level of play is inspirational on every level of humanity and sport.. Seeing vaccine mandates..I have a personal perspective..but if one of those athletes was to be taken out by something as basic as a competitor or team member not having a shot..? After overcoming every thing else..just wrong..
I hope that athletes get it..it's free ,easy and safe..

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Just got my IGG, IA antibody test results back from my health care provider.

My results were REACTIVE and read the following: "A REACTIVE result means your test DID detect COVID-19 IgG antibodies to the Sars-CoV-2 spike protein associated with COVID-19. The result suggests that you have either been exposed to COVID-19 or vaccinated against Sars-CoV-2."

And since I'm not vaccinated it's obviously exposure to COVID-19. And wow - this makes me a 2-time COVID-19 survivor and at age 60, I'm still here to talk about it! This time around with the Delta variant was no way near as bad as when I got walloped with the original back in Feb, 2020 (very sick; ~12 lb weight loss, about a month to fully recover - no medical intervention though).

About 3 weeks ago, my 21 yr old son (college student) attended a concert with his GF at a packed indoor venue. He's unvaccinated and intially wore his mask but half way through took his mask off because of the heat in the arena where he was sweating profusely. About 3 days after the concert, he developed a cough, headache, congestion, sore throat, mild fever, etc. He didn't get tested but stayed home from classes. His appetite was good & he continued to work out at home as well (he does some amateur bodybuilding). About a week after my son attended the concert, I presented with the same symptoms. However, I had a much higher fever and couldn't smell or taste food losing my appetite & having to force feed myself. I also had horrible body aches especially in my lower back. I wasn't sure though if this COVID or a sinus infection, which I usually get at one time or another training outdoors in the summer heat & poor air quality here in Denver (I also have bad allergies & asthma). Nonetheless, I went into survival mode significantly increasing my Vitamin D3 & C intake (D3 "hammer"), drank a ton of Echinacea tea, took the supplement NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) & used Tylenol for the fever. I was very miserable for about 3 days sleeping most of the time but still forcing myself to eat & get some excercise in at home. I lost about 6 lbs total but I'm fully recovered now back in the saddle eating the house down and working out everyday.

So, COVID isn't a death sentence or hospitalization for some of us older people. I'm 60 yrs old and needed absolutely no medical intervention whatsoever. I credit my physical condition as an athlete, my sound nutritional habits and of course Vitamin D3 (go ahead & criticize D3 Jmdirt - I could care less).

Now if Fauci would only follow the science and include natural antibodies as acceptable in these vaccine mandates. The "science" shows that natural antibodies are just as good if not better than vaccination. The European immunity certificate includes proof of natural antibodies from prior infection as acceptable. So does Israel on their "Green" immunity passport system. Fauci isn't the following the science and believes there's no such thing as natural antibody protection against Covid. He wants everyone vaccinated regardless of prior infection. Time for him to retire and get someone in there that follows the science!

Last edited:

My results were REACTIVE and read the following: "A REACTIVE result means your test DID detect COVID-19 IgG antibodies to the Sars-CoV-2 spike protein associated with COVID-19. The result suggests that you have either been exposed to COVID-19 or vaccinated against Sars-CoV-2."

And since I'm not vaccinated it's obviously exposure to COVID-19. And wow - this makes me a 2-time COVID-19 survivor and at age 60, I'm still here to talk about it! This time around with the Delta variant was no way near as bad as when I got walloped with the original back in Feb, 2020 (very sick; ~12 lb weight loss, about a month to fully recover - no medical intervention though).

About 3 weeks ago, my 21 yr old son (college kid) attended a concert with his GF at a packed indoor venue. He's unvaccinated and intially wore his mask but half way through took his mask off b/c of the heat in the arena where he was sweating profusely. About 3 days after the concert, he developed a cough, headache, congestion, sore throat, mild fever, etc. He didn't get tested but stayed home from classes. His appetite was good & he continued to work out at home as well (he does some amateur bodybuilding). About a week after my son attended the concert, I presented with the same symptoms. However, I had a much higher fever and couldn't smell or taste food losing my appetite & having to force feed myself. I also had horrible body aches especially in my lower back. I wasn't sure though if this COVID or a sinus infection, which I usually get at one time or another training outdoors in the summer heat & poor air quality here in Denver (I have bad allergies & asthma). Nonetheless, I went into survival mode significantly increasing my Vitamin D3 & C intake (D3 "hammer"), drank a ton of Echinacea tea, took the supplement NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) & used Tylenol for the fever. I was very miserable for about 3 days sleeping most of the time but still forcing myself to eat & get some excercise in at home. I lost about 6 lbs total but I'm fully recovered now back in the saddle eating the house down and working out everyday.

So, COVID isn't a death sentence or hospitalization for some of us older people. I'm 60 yrs old and needed absolutely no medical intervention whatsoever. I credit my physical condition as an athlete, my sound nutritional habits and of course Vitamin D3 (go ahead & criticize D3 Jmdirt - I could care less).

Now if Fauci would only follow the science and include natural antibodies as acceptable in these vaccine mandates. The science shows that natural antibodies are just as good if not better than vaccination. The European immunity certificate includes proof of natural antibodies from prior infection as acceptable. So does Israel on their "Green" immunity passport system. Fauci isn't the following the science and believes there's no such thing as natural antibody protection against Covid. He wants everyone vaccinated regardless of prior infection. Time for him to retire and get someone in there that follows the science!

So Fauci observed and researched all of these symptoms and your dosing regime? Why doesn't the wider medical community know about this: "So, COVID isn't a death sentence or hospitalization for some of us older people. I'm 60 yrs old and needed absolutely no medical intervention whatsoever. I credit my physical condition as an athlete, my sound nutritional habits and of course Vitamin D3 (go ahead & criticize D3 Jmdirt - I could care less)."

It's great that you survived multiple and perhaps unnecessary exposures to Covid 19 without a vaccine...yay! Is this a recommendation you'd have your 60+ year old general community follow, particularly if you'd have to address the family of each unsuccessful outcome? Nothing about this deals with potential long term health issues, either and hopefully you won't.

Reactions: jmdirt
It is true that we are vaccinating against a version of SARS2 that really doesn't exist any more in nature. But it is close enough to delta structurally that it shouldn't matter. Delta is just better at transmitting. I don't think getting delta as the third dose would be that much more beneficial than getting the OG vaccine for the third. This has come up a few times here, but changing the vaccine is not that technically difficult for Moderna and Pfizer, but it has been decided by the regulators that it is not necessary to do... for now. And there does not appear to be a timeline for making that change.
CDC has approved the booster for the "at-risk" profile. Per your observation it should address waning protection.
Meanwhile; it was reported that the insurers for Delta airlines are expecting employees that refuse to vaccinate accept responsibility for any related hospital and treatment costs. Not a shock on that count, I guess.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
So Fauci observed and researched all of these symptoms and your dosing regime? Why doesn't the wider medical community know about this: "So, COVID isn't a death sentence or hospitalization for some of us older people. I'm 60 yrs old and needed absolutely no medical intervention whatsoever. I credit my physical condition as an athlete, my sound nutritional habits and of course Vitamin D3 (go ahead & criticize D3 Jmdirt - I could care less)."

It's great that you survived multiple and perhaps unnecessary exposures to Covid 19 without a vaccine...yay! Is this a recommendation you'd have your 60+ year old general community follow, particularly if you'd have to address the family of each unsuccessful outcome? Nothing about this deals with potential long term health issues, either and hopefully you won't.
No...I'm not recommending my peers follow what I do. They can do what the hell they want to do. If some of them had unsuccessful outcomes that's their problem not mine. I took care of my problem without medical intervention. We have such a thing as an immune system - have you ever heard of it? It functions brilliantly if taken care of. And I'm sick of this freaking fearmongering with long-term health issues from Covid. I didn't have any the first time around and I'm back fully recovered hitting it hard in the gym and on the bike again. Maybe you should study up a little on nutrition & D3 and learn about the power of a healthy immune system. And look at your excercise program- is it sound with both endurance & strength training? I don't want viral & bacterial infections to control me - I want to control them!

Last edited:
CDC has approved the booster for the "at-risk" profile. Per your observation it should address waning protection.
Meanwhile; it was reported that the insurers for Delta airlines are expecting employees that refuse to vaccinate accept responsibility for any related hospital and treatment costs. Not a shock on that count, I guess.
Yeah, that was interesting as the CDC went above and beyond what their own advisory committee voted on, siding more with the FDA view of who should get boosters. I agree with that decision as healthcare workers under 65 wouldn't have been eligible according to the original determination of seniors only. This is the official CDC recommendations if anybody was confused about all the seemingly conflicting reports in the media. The guidance definitely opens the door to most people getting boosters if they want them. The underlying medical conditions and workplace exposure categories provide a lot of leeway.

View: https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1441331243887456257

About 3 weeks ago, my 21 yr old son (college student) attended a concert with his GF at a packed indoor venue. He's unvaccinated and intially wore his mask but half way through took his mask off because of the heat in the arena where he was sweating profusely. About 3 days after the concert, he developed a cough, headache, congestion, sore throat, mild fever, etc. He didn't get tested but stayed home from classes. His appetite was good & he continued to work out at home as well (he does some amateur bodybuilding). About a week after my son attended the concert, I presented with the same symptoms. However, I had a much higher fever and couldn't smell or taste food losing my appetite & having to force feed myself. I also had horrible body aches especially in my lower back. I wasn't sure though if this COVID or a sinus infection, which I usually get at one time or another training outdoors in the summer heat & poor air quality here in Denver (I also have bad allergies & asthma). Nonetheless, I went into survival mode significantly increasing my Vitamin D3 & C intake (D3 "hammer"), drank a ton of Echinacea tea, took the supplement NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) & used Tylenol for the fever. I was very miserable for about 3 days sleeping most of the time but still forcing myself to eat & get some excercise in at home. I lost about 6 lbs total but I'm fully recovered now back in the saddle eating the house down and working out everyday.

Now if Fauci would only follow the science and include natural antibodies as acceptable in these vaccine mandates. The "science" shows that natural antibodies are just as good if not better than vaccination. The European immunity certificate includes proof of natural antibodies from prior infection as acceptable. So does Israel on their "Green" immunity passport system. Fauci isn't the following the science and believes there's no such thing as natural antibody protection against Covid. He wants everyone vaccinated regardless of prior infection. Time for him to retire and get someone in there that follows the science!

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Delta is tough.

Well...coming from you I appreciate that. Thanks. My son & I were discussing this Delta variant - in your opinion is it significantly more virulent than the original? I hear conflicting opinions from experts on this. I realize it's much more contagious (I believe the state Epidemiologist here in Colorado said 1 in 89 is contagious with the Delta variant at any given time). I heard one expert on a science program the other day say the Delta variant is completely different from the original and that vaccine was developed for that particular spike protein of the original and doesn't think the vaccine will be very effective for Delta in the long run.

Yeah, that was interesting as the CDC went above and beyond what their own advisory committee voted on, siding more with the FDA view of who should get boosters. I agree with that decision as healthcare workers under 65 wouldn't have been eligible according to the original determination of seniors only. This is the official CDC recommendations if anybody was confused about all the seemingly conflicting reports in the media. The guidance definitely opens the door to most people getting boosters if they want them. The underlying medical conditions and workplace exposure categories provide a lot of leeway.

View: https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1441331243887456257

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Delta is tough.

That's specifically for Pfizer. Although that is good for my husband to be able to get the booster. Wonder when they'll give a similar guidance for Moderna. Although it's become apparent that Moderna's vaccine effectiveness lasts longer due to the doses being stronger.

Well...coming from you I appreciate that. Thanks. My son & I were discussing this Delta variant - in your opinion is it significantly more virulent than the original? I hear conflicting opinions from experts on this. I realize it's much more contagious (I believe the state Epidemiologist here in Colorado said 1 in 89 is contagious with the Delta variant at any given time). I heard one expert on a science program the other day say the Delta variant is completely different from the original and that vaccine was developed for that particular spike protein of the original and doesn't think the vaccine will be very effective for Delta in the long run.
Sure no problem. I like reading your posts, even if I disagree occasionally. I do think that you are right that we need to integrate the recovered from infection people into some kind of immune passport. As for the question about delta, that is still up for debate. But Delta carries a furin cleavage site mutation that makes it a better substrate, so I would predict that it is a little more deadly. It is a matter of kinetics. It just does things a little bit faster. I disagree about the second part. There is still good antigenic overlap between delta and the 'vaccine strain'.

That's specifically for Pfizer. Although that is good for my husband to be able to get the booster. Wonder when they'll give a similar guidance for Moderna. Although it's become apparent that Moderna's vaccine effectiveness lasts longer due to the doses being stronger.
Good point about Moderna. They applied later, so it might take a couple more weeks, but I would expect the same decision. No idea about J&J though. Guidance for what to do about that group (albeit small) is long overdue. Should they try to get a 2nd J&J or go with an mRNA boost?

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Sure no problem. I like reading your posts, even if I disagree occasionally. I do think that you are right that we need to integrate the recovered from infection people into some kind of immune passport. As for the question about delta, that is still up for debate. But Delta carries a furin cleavage site mutation that makes it a better substrate, so I would predict that it is a little more deadly. It is a matter of kinetics. It just does things a little bit faster. I disagree about the second part. There is still good antigenic overlap between delta and the 'vaccine strain'.

Good point about Moderna. They applied later, so it might take a couple more weeks, but I would expect the same decision. No idea about J&J though. Guidance for what to do about that group (albeit small) is long overdue. Should they try to get a 2nd J&J or go with an mRNA boost?

J&J was also doing a second trial that included 2 shots instead of just 1. I agree there needs to be some guidance for those who got the J&J. Thanks for the update on Moderna. I know they filing soon or recently filed for full approval. I think they should be be filing for the next age group to be given approval via EAU as well.

No...I'm not recommending my peers follow what I do. They can do what the hell they want to do. If some of them had unsuccessful outcomes that's their problem not mine. I took care of my problem without medical intervention. We have such a thing as an immune system - have you ever heard of it? It functions brilliantly if taken care of. And I'm sick of this freaking fearmongering with long-term health issues from Covid. I didn't have any the first time around and I'm back fully recovered hitting it hard in the gym and on the bike again. Maybe you should study up a little on nutrition & D3 and learn about the power of a healthy immune system. And look at your excercise program- is it sound with both endurance & strength training? I don't want viral & bacterial infections to control me - I want to control them!
I appreciate that you don't necessarily recommend that and thanks for responding.
As for my exercise program...I raced my last pro crit at age 60 and did just fine. My diet and immune system benefit from my wife's fine organic (as much as possible) cooking and her extensive research into diet impacts. She's a private chef catering to an older family and they were very selective in vetting her credentials and skills. That makes me lucky, too.
I've always emphasized free weight interval training along with my cycling to balance out the eccentric cycling physique impacts. IMO you are wisely doing the same. Older folks start having hip and back problems as their weaker links if they don't walk, run and lift some weights. It also seems to speed injury recovery as general health, don't you think?

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
As usual this media source is unreliable and in some cases previously reporting fake stories.

With this story one needs to look at the case numbers and deaths. Then look at the amount of hospitals available prior to Covid pandemic. The worst day for deaths since covid data tracked has been 13. The cases at 1200. They do not have hospital capacity for any type of mass event. A little context would be nice in any of the media.

Reactions: Cookster15 and yaco
San Fransisco's health dept has issued a policy that if you go to a large indoor event and are over 12 you need to be vaccinated no exemptions are allowed.

This is the statement:

"At large and mega indoor events, all patrons 12 and older must be vaccinated at this time," the statement reads. "Under the current order, if unvaccinated, they cannot enter indoor areas regardless of the reason they are unvaccinated and cannot test out of this requirement even if they have a medical or religious exemption. This same rule applies to performers and players employed by the host at large and mega indoor events who are covered by the vaccination requirements of the Health Order."

WTF..... This is the onion again, right? Right?!?!
View: https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1441395300002848769

It seems there are Ivermectin shortages in many countries at the moment.

As for the idiot fraternity. Yes its much better to die at home without any medical intervention and even that doesn't make any sense because many people survive their hospital treatments. This is more like wacko armageddon type thinking. Maybe they read it on the internet.............

I appreciate that you don't necessarily recommend that and thanks for responding.
As for my exercise program...I raced my last pro crit at age 60 and did just fine. My diet and immune system benefit from my wife's fine organic (as much as possible) cooking and her extensive research into diet impacts. She's a private chef catering to an older family and they were very selective in vetting her credentials and skills. That makes me lucky, too.
I've always emphasized free weight interval training along with my cycling to balance out the eccentric cycling physique impacts. IMO you are wisely doing the same. Older folks start having hip and back problems as their weaker links if they don't walk, run and lift some weights. It also seems to speed injury recovery as general health, don't you think?
Very impressive...I didn't know there are other 60+ year olds posting on this thread. It sounds like you have your diet dialed in really good. Good you eat organic as much as possible. Sound, healthy nutrition will optimize the immune system especially as we get older. Couldn't agree with you more on free weight interval training for middle-aged folks. Sarcopenia can start to be a problem with men & women as early as age 50. I know balancing my endurance training with weight training has been beneficial for my post-traumatic osteoarthritis & back problems where I very seldom need any pain meds for flare-ups.

I ran into an old friend on the trail today (almost literally), and he made a really good point that if the doctors, politicians, media, etc. would have called it the covid shot less people would be scared of it. Vaccine might seem scary, unknown, and political. Obviously there is no way to determine how much that would have helped, but just to throw a number out there, what if 10% more people would have gotten the shot in June and July?

EDIT: I'm going to edit another conversation that may illustrate this point (granted only one anecdotal piece of data): A lady who used to work at my site was standing outside talking with some people the other day and I overheard her say "(husbands name) decided that god doesn't want us to get this vaccine." I didn't find out until the next day that she was at our site to get her flu shot!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: movingtarget

TRENDING THREADS