• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 314 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
How is it with 3rd shot in Europe and US? I am kinda lost in it. In Slovakia they said they will give 3rd shot 8 months ( or 6? I dont konw) after second. Now they invited imunocompromised people for 3rd shot after 4 weeks of second. It is according to EMA statement if I am right. Then it will be for everyone but I dont know if it will be after 8 months or 4 weeks like it is now for imunocompromised. By the way my dad was invited because he has crohn disease and he is oncology patient in remision (urology). He will go probably for it.

I think it's more or less similar in Germany. Imunocompromised people are recommended to get another shot. Additionally it's also available to those working with vulnerable people and/or got Astra Zeneca (after 6 months) or Johnson & Johnson (after one month). For all others, there's no official recommendation yet.

Over the weekend, both parents of a friend of mine got infected, although fully vacinated, and today there were also reports about a German ice hockey team with 18 positive tests (16 of those fully vaccinated, of unknown kind), which also made me wonder a bit what's the plan now - especially as tests are also not available for free anymore now (at least not without symptoms, afaik). As far as I am aware, all cases are mild ones, but tbh I wasn't aware of such easy transmission among vaccinated yet. The ice hockey number sounds more like one from pre-vaccination days.

Reactions: jmdirt and Keram
In the US for what is current (as of the last time I checked), Pfizer booster shot is available for anyone over 65 and anyone under 65 with a compromised immune system or work where they are at risk. This is at 6 months from being fully vaccinated. The FDA is currently reviewing information for Moderna and J&J for a booster that would be along the same lines as the Pfizer one.

Reactions: jmdirt and Keram

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
One thing Colin Powell didn't have was:
Bone spurs
Rich daddy
Cancelled checks to playmates or prostate
Affairs w each new wife..
He did have combat service ribbons..
And he did public service in and out of uniform
A great American
to the family, thanks for your service
What does that list have to do with Covid killing Colin Powell? There is no correlation.

The Case numbers in the USA are reducing drastically. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases|New_case|select

Florida and Texas both high population locations with delta wave have cases have fallen dramatically and they did not change any mask mandate or impose lockdowns, vax mandate for restaurants / events. Yet the numbers have continued down. That is good news.

Reactions: Ultrairon
The Case numbers in the USA are reducing drastically. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases|New_case|select

Florida and Texas both high population locations with delta wave have cases have fallen dramatically and they did not change any mask mandate or impose lockdowns, vax mandate for restaurants / events. Yet the numbers have continued down. That is good news.
That 'success' was paved with the unnecessary deaths of way too many people. Everybody is going to get either the vaccine or the virus and those two states choose poorly.

More evidence why vaccine making is no sure thing. Novavax created a great vaccine, but can't make it. View: https://mobile.twitter.com/owermohle/status/1450597871041097736

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
That 'success' was paved with the unnecessary deaths of way too many people. Everybody is going to get either the vaccine or the virus and those two states choose poorly.

More evidence why vaccine making is no sure thing. Novavax created a great vaccine, but can't make it. View: https://mobile.twitter.com/owermohle/status/1450597871041097736
I don't see how you can say that when you compare to a state like California and the deaths they have had with massive restrictions and mandates. Additional lets hope the case rates and death rates for the winter states does not follow last year.The highest rates of deaths were this past winter even after the vaccine was out.

Still Good News though that those states did not need to put in radical mandates and lock downs for the case rates / deaths to decrease.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site

Other vax manufactures have had issues as well. What are your personal feeling or opinions on Novavax not being able to manufacture to FDA standards consistently? The article also mentions the trouble J&J are having.
More than likely they will get it worked out.

Florida has almost caught NY for mortality, which is almost unthinkable. They are 10th worst. They have an extra 90 deaths per 100k than California.

If you believe the company PR flacks, there should be no problems working out the kinks. I am hesitant to take them at face value. But they don't have to convince me, they have to convince the fda.

Congrats. Maybe you are out of pandemic. People got their imunnity from vaccine or from virus. I see signs of normality again in western world. When I saw last night full stands in champions league in Madrid, Paris, Brugge I literally saw that lag which eastern Europe have comparing to west in vaccinations.

Reactions: Ultrairon
With the cooler and rainier autumn weather, cases are increasing here in W-Europe again (e.g. Belgium, Netherlands, Germany). I'm curious how we will fare - two people in my family were recently infected despite being fully vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech (they developed only mild symptoms). Much of the US is a month or so behind Europe weather-wise, but expect an increase in infection rates in the mid-West and NE by late November.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Florida has almost caught NY for mortality, which is almost unthinkable. They are 10th worst. They have an extra 90 deaths per 100k than California.

If you believe the company PR flacks, there should be no problems working out the kinks. I am hesitant to take them at face value. But they don't have to convince me, they have to convince the fda.
Shouldn't it be good news that the cases and deaths are on a dramatic decline? I don't get that feeling from your posts when you counter good news with negatives.
With winter coming the negative will switch in the direction of the Midwest and Northeast. Hope that is not the case.

Reactions: FrankB and Nomad
Shouldn't it be good news that the cases and deaths are on a dramatic decline? I don't get that feeling from your posts when you counter good news with negatives.
With winter coming the negative will switch in the direction of the Midwest and Northeast. Hope that is not the case.
Florida doesn't have the vaccination rate nor the mandates as most of the "Blue" states have - so Florida's significant decline in deaths & hospitalizations will be met with dismay by the current leadership of this country.

Last edited:
Neither are on a dramatic decline. 2500 died yesterday. Numbers are going up in a lot of places now. I worry a lot more about the Midwest than new england.

TRENDING THREADS