• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 334 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The general US media reporting on Omicron is that it appears less impactful and more recoverable. That's taking news from those that report on it. Also sounds like the Administration may lighten up on international travel restrictions as that situation gets more defined. Is it possible that a more infectious but less damaging strain does provide a gateway to increased immunity to harsh infection reactions? I have no clue and would appreciate some learned response.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
If someone is saying that 'masks don't work', they are just being disingenuous because if their intelligence was actually that low they wouldn't be able to type.
Sure a N95 mask works no doubt about it. The cheap disposable masks along with the cloth masks that are littered all over the roads and parks are not that effective. I got vaxed so I don't have to wear a mask. I have not worn a mask since the first month of the pandemic.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
The general US media reporting on Omicron is that it appears less impactful and more recoverable. That's taking news from those that report on it. Also sounds like the Administration may lighten up on international travel restrictions as that situation gets more defined. Is it possible that a more infectious but less damaging strain does provide a gateway to increased immunity to harsh infection reactions? I have no clue and would appreciate some learned response.
In my opinion the travel ban was a mistake.
Someone in the media asked that question this past week about more infections with less damaging symptoms would it lead to increased immunity. I read somewhere if left to run rampant it would lead to further mutations.

Ok so a cloth mask used over and over is a good thing. Sure if you say so. I don't believe the studies will in the end actually say that.

Florida is outside all the time! Its the freaking Sunshine State. During the Summer the beaches are packed. There are all types of outdoor activities and events going on in Florida during the summer.

Are you getting upset? The use of all caps appears that way, if so I am not going to agree with you just because you got those all cap words.

You aren't following. Masks like what they use in hospitals (I hope you can follow) WORK. Plenty of studies and real life data PROVE IT.

You're exaggerating.

Obviously you don't understand how typing/internet works. Yelling requires ALL words to be capitalized. Words here and there being capitalized are for EMPHASIS. There is exactly no where that I used capitals for ALL words in any post.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
You aren't following. Masks like what they use in hospitals (I hope you can follow) WORK. Plenty of studies and real life data PROVE IT.

You're exaggerating.

Obviously you don't understand how typing/internet works. Yelling requires ALL words to be capitalized. Words here and there being capitalized are for EMPHASIS. There is exactly no where that I used capitals for ALL words in any post.
So we all need to wear a N95? Ok if that is what works.

Sure a N95 mask works no doubt about it. The cheap disposable masks along with the cloth masks that are littered all over the roads and parks are not that effective. I got vaxed so I don't have to wear a mask. I have not worn a mask since the first month of the pandemic.
US is showing a fully vaccinated rate of 70% as I write. In my country (Australia), after a slow start we are at 74% - but 93% fully vaccinated for aged 16 and over.

I absolutely hate to wear masks, they are claustrophobic and since I wear glasses, they always fog up - it drives me nuts! But I am still wearing a N95 mask when I go shopping or other public places. Besides, wearing a mask in these places is still the law whether I like it or not.

But what is the risk of dropping the mask mandate at 93% double dose vaccinated for aged 16 and over? I wonder if its easy to be over cautious about Covid and forget the other consequences on living our lives?

Reactions: jmdirt

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
US is showing a fully vaccinated rate of 70% as I write. In my country (Australia), after a slow start we are at 74% - but 93% fully vaccinated for aged 16 and over.

I absolutely hate to wear masks, they are claustrophobic and since I wear glasses, they always fog up - it drives me nuts! But I am still wearing a N95 mask when I go shopping or other public places. Besides, wearing a mask in these places is still the law whether I like it or not.

But what is the risk of dropping the mask mandate at 93% double dose vaccinated for aged 16 and over? I wonder if its easy to be over cautious about Covid and forget the other consequences on living our lives?
I don't know honestly. I do know a cloth mask and disposable loose fitting mask is pissing in the wind when it comes to the aerosolization of the virus. Spit and spittle yes it will stop that to an extent.

Anyone here can see once I mentioned that I believe masks are a waste of time in the general public, a few pointed towards me and went for the panic mode. Watch or read the insults and the pure heads on fire replies.

Remember the 15 days to slow the spread, yet panic took control. As if the only thing we had to fear was the fear itself! I am sure many think this is all ok but I will tell you that masks are a show for the most part. Yes its working in the hospital with the N95.
I respect your choice to wear a mask when you feel it is necessary, what I do not respect is anyone who lose their minds over my opinion and choice.

Reactions: Cookster15

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
screw that, i quit wearing masks and won't start again.
Watch out Frank! The panic Coivd task force for CN will come down on you. Next thing you know a rant about Camel cigarettes. Or how I need the shut the fck up and wear a mask because someone on the internet used capitalized words in a strategic fashion. According to some here doctors and nurses are only reading the guardian for a source of information of facts. I sure hope to god not.
You got the vax? It feels like you did considering your mask opinion.

Bureaucrats should never be the face of Science ever, not in any society or country.
Bureaucrats can only be that when bureaucrats suffer the same consequences to their personal lives as those who they think they rule over. This of course includes all the qualified physicians who seem to be our new gods. But their jobs and incomes are never at risk and power is more addictive than money.

Reactions: Ultrairon
Based on what I have read, not likely. But since SC2 is new, we will know that answer at some point.

Reactions: Koronin
If that plays out, that is unfortunate because many previously infected people were counting on having (robust) protection. Its really not good for anyone because it could lead to hospitals going back into crisis care mode.

Exactly. So far we seem to be lucky that the symptoms have been asymptomatic to moderate. So there's that. Yeah, it's too early to know if it's going to cause more severe outcomes. However, I'm not at all surprised there's a mutation that gets around previous infections.

Reactions: jmdirt
In my opinion the travel ban was a mistake.
Someone in the media asked that question this past week about more infections with less damaging symptoms would it lead to increased immunity. I read somewhere if left to run rampant it would lead to further mutations.
In retrospect a ban might have been an over reaction but retrospective opinions will have the benefit of history. That history hasn't occurred. We likely share the same retrospective opinion in a month or so.
I'd like an answer to the question you noted a media figure asked. That seems like a logical progression from a street-level view. I'd like a virologist or some other learned person to weigh in?

Bureaucrats can only be that when bureaucrats suffer the same consequences to their personal lives as those who they think they rule over. This of course includes all the qualified physicians who seem to be our new gods. But their jobs and incomes are never at risk and power is more addictive than money.
You and the person you're responding to are generalizing about people in a profession layered with responsibilities that typically took a decade or two of research and hard work to achieve. It's really easy to suffer like many have and then blame the consequences from 18 months ago on a faceless "bureaucrat" or dark government cabal. They are the people that, for the most part, are trying to keep us from dying or killing ourselves.
The bit about power and addiction is along the lines that folks were whining previously about political posturing...whatever. It's OK if you admit that's your opinion but sensitive souls don't want to be told what they don't wish to believe on many subjects.
Quote a source and ask for discussion without a direct personal conclusion and that should be OK, too. Just because we haven't come to some sunny, beachside conclusion to this inconvenience (yes, we're survivors so it's only an inconvenience compared to death and debilitation) doesn't mean efforts to protect us are diabolically planned and abusive.
The fact that FACTS we all agree on are still polarizing is frustrating.

TRENDING THREADS