• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 393 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
personally I caught it as well now. So far it fortunately only feels pretty much like a cold, running nose, a bit of a sore throat.

a quick update on this: it turned into basically a constantly running nose at some point, but is more or less back to normal now - apart from a loss of smell. Seems to be fairly umcommon for the current variants, but I almost can't smell anything at all anymore at the moment.

From my understanding, there are researchers that have noted an unusual & unexpected FCS within the virus - the implication being that SARS-CoV-2 might be a product of lab manipulation. These researchers are calling for an independent inquiry into the origins.

Also, have you seen the paper by Jessse Bloom, an influenza expert from FH Cancer center? He's recovered the deleted files from a key global database concluding that the virus existed long before China's Huanan Seafood market story (In fact, I read reports that dozens of athletes had come down with symptoms very similar to Covid symptoms at the World Military games conducted in Wahun back in October, 2019. Some of these athletes were so sick they had to leave the games & return back to their home country). Was SARS-CoV-2 circulating in Wahun as early as the Fall of 2019? Was China keeping quiet while trying to keep the virus contained in Wahun?

And what about the GOF experiments that the NIH & Wahun lab were conducting? Question for you: It is possible to experiment with & manipulate the gene sequencing of an existing *bat virus" in a laboratory setting? (you've haven't really discussed much on GOF research with viruses - I'm sure with your knowledge & expertise in virology, you could enlighten us on what kind of modifications can be done these days on a virus to influence & enhance it's infection/transmission capabilities, mutations, immune escape, etc.)

I think with the Chinese deleting a key global database early on in the pandemic, and Fauci remaining silent on GOF research with the Chinese, the origin & early spread of SARS-CoV-2 still remains shrouded in mystery.
The argument is that because the fcs is the first in its subfamily of coronaviruses that some deem it suspicious. Imo, since it has arisen independently multiple times in other subfamilies of coronaviruses, I don't find that argument very persuasive. It is an important virulence factor for infection in humans and probably is a big reason why the pandemic has happened. But I don't think it represents strong evidence for engineering. Rather, natural selection at work.

Jesse Bloom published what he found and he even claimed that the findings did not support natural origin over lab leak or vice versa. People are reading too much into infections from the military games. But there is a prominent lab leak advocate who thinks the U.S. planted the virus in China then. As with so many of these spurious claims, it is nearly impossible to prove something didn't happen to credulous people who believe conspiracies as gospel.

GoF is an important topic, but there is nothing about SC2 that implicates that it was engineered. Of course, technology exists to synthesize a coronavirus from scratch, so engineering can't be ruled out. But the deep irony is that people weren't that interested in SC2's branch of the family prior to the pandemic. So there wouldn't be a strong rationale to do GoF on a virus like a SC2 progenitor in 2019. Obviously, nobody can completely rule this out either, but it is just less likely. If you've followed my posts, I've noted that there is more reason to fear black box GoF projects around the world than the stuff that Wuhan institute of Virology was doing because they were publishing in the scientific community. Remember, their work was central to discovering how SC1 emerged. But their past transparency is now being punished.

personally I caught it well now. So far it fortunately only feels pretty much like a cold, running nose, a bit of a sore throat.

Didn't come as much of a surprise btw, as what felt like half the plane was caughing when I returned from holiday on Sunday. Coincidentally (?) it was was a flight from Switzerland, which has no anti-covid measures at all anymore. No issues like this on the flight from Italy (it was a layover connection via Zürich)
I am w Dirt,I am glad it's minor and hope you are 100% before you can remember having it..
Most people have your experience or something similar..millions w no symptoms,just ever present antibodies..
sadly in the US..a million people had the ultimate reaction,death..it's all on the spectrum..

One of the key points from this study is how much more likely that long covid is in breakthrough cases that end up in hospitalization. This is contrary to so many of the social media anecdotes about long covid resulting from relatively mild cases. Also, long covid remains poorly characterized as a medical diagnosis from study to study.

Bizarre American polarity,population segment that sees something positive about playing down a million plus,dead,act like it's not a big deal,so it ain't. And now that same superimposed stupidly layed over health crisis after health crisis, got dead people( school kids) but there is something underlying ugly about death and it's cavalier dismissal as the American way..smiling or snarky comebacks.
Some straight forward American math..percentage of world population, Click Covid deaths per capita, and each health crisis,standard reaction,hopes and prayer, and log jam for the sake of status quo..
RIP all the precious of Texas and Buffalo..let the CDC research solutions to problems killing Americans..don't let anyone say that millions of dead is nothing and integrate silence and ignoring facts as normal.
And I hear your keyboard,yes diabetes,obesity,poor diet and lack of exercise,all components of a well rounded public health strategy.
So where to start?
Glaring obvious,that our schools, tiny elementary schools,would be the start of our collective and caring future,let's get messages and methods in our schools so kids are safe, starting at the grocery store,lunch room,classroom..
It was ugly early as there was resistance to wide, expensive,expenditures for school age kids at Covids onset, but look at what happens when you don't make childhood health and safety priority one..Shame on all who cheap out on our kids..
What is killing Americans should not be a hobby, an afterthought, but paramount for all..

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
You try hard to disguise your post as not political. Nice try but its a transparent attempt on your part.

Money was allocated for covid measures for public classrooms yet we still don't know if it was used correctly or wasted.

Obesity has killed up to if not more than covid in the last 2 years.

Reactions: Nomad
This is another one that I can't post the link due to paywall, but the summary is: 4 shots for systemic, and a round of nasal for local (upper respirator) followed by yearly (like other vax). The nasal sprays aren't providing the systemic coverage that many had hoped so at this point they are effective with Omicron variants, but may not be with others yet to come (or previous ie: Delta) so shots might be necessary this fall.

Obesity has killed up to if not more than covid in the last 2 years.
Obesity is probably the #1 health crisis in this country. And look at the damage Covid has done to the obese as they remain as one of the highest risk groups to suffer severe illness & death. Remember how Delta tore through the Southern states last summer with high rates of hospitalizations & death - the South has by & far the highest rates of obesity found anywhere in his country!

Reactions: Ultrairon
what is most interesting about the most recent wave was how minimal the worst outcomes were compared to previous waves. Once antibodies wane and antigenic drift happens with variants, infections will result. But T cell memory is more preserved between variants and it seems to prevent severe disease if not infection. That is not ideal, but this is what the future is going to look like once the variants exhaust the remaining immune -naive. South Africa is a perfect example of mixed immunity. Some vaccination and a lot of infection.

Reactions: jmdirt
Obesity is probably the #1 health crisis in this country. And look at the damage Covid has done to the obese as they remain as one of the highest risk groups to suffer severe illness & death. Remember how Delta tore through the Southern states last summer with high rates of hospitalizations & death - the South has by & far the highest rates of obesity found anywhere in his country!

You could virtually guarantee that the vaccination rate in the Southern states has a very direct correlation to deaths there, too. It is the heartland of religious-based skepticism for all things. Vaccination has been on the top of government fears since the Tuskegee experiments as well.

Some CDC 2021 to a month or so ago Idaho stats for you that appear to run parallel with some long held beliefs on politics, vaccination and religion/state:
County Population Covid Cases Covid Deaths
Blaine County 24,000 611 30
Bonner County 48,000 9,000 188
Kootenai 174,000 42,000 594

Blaine is the county with the greatest tourist/capita influence and outbreaks started early in the first wave of 2020. Omicron has come back but certain retail, restaurant and businesses have had masking requirements later than other state areas. Not so much for the other counties.

What jumps off the stats is the mortality rate being almost 3 times in the last two counties compared to the first.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS