• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Could a clean Cadel Evans get 2nd on uphill TT in Giro?

Could a clean Cadel Evans get 2nd on uphill TT in giro?

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
In comparison to what?

If the rest of the top contenders (e.g. Basso) are totally juiced, then I would say no.

On the other hand, if they are clean(ish) then I would say yes.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
cool a french dude getting a good result, "hey look when people stop doping so hard we can maybe win??" makes me happy.. maybe for the time being they should legalize micro dosing epo to a 50% hematocrit since they can't catch it, that would let the clean riders have a shot at some wins for once.. and then ban micro dosing once they can assuredly catch it in tests.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gadret-delighted-with-third-place-on-plan-de-corones

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
fuggles said:
In comparison to what?

If the rest of the top contenders (e.g. Basso) are totally juiced, then I would say no.

On the other hand, if they are clean(ish) then I would say yes.

If we can't exactly figure it out, imagine what the fear and loathing must be like within the professional ranks.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
if everyone else was clean, of course. this is consistent with all of evans' results throughout his entire long career. so why would it be cause for suspicion? he didn't even win the stage.:confused:

Cuddles is as dirty if not dirtier than the rest the of the peloton.

He's outclimbed everyone bar Basso including Scarponi and the evil Vino.

He's obviously upped his doping this year as he knows he is getting old. It's not as if he has a track record of riding for clean teams either - Mapei, T-Mob, Lotto and now Phonak 2.

Cuddles gets a easy time because he is an english speaker. Also, when you dope you are supposed to ride like Pantani or Dertie in the mountains, not spending your time sucking wheels, so people think he isn't doped because he doesn't ride like other dopers. So I guess the advantage of being so fugly on the bike.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Depends on how clean the other riders are. Seems to me that if they are all on level ground, be it dirty or clean, then this is a reasonable result.

He's always been at least a good climber, if not great, and this was a climb that played into his mtb background. More evidence of this is seen by the third place rider, a cyclocrosser, who was quoted as saying his skills helped him today.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
cool a french dude getting a good result, "hey look when people stop doping so hard we can maybe win??" makes me happy.. maybe for the time being they should legalize micro dosing epo to a 50% hematocrit since they can't catch it, that would let the clean riders have a shot at some wins for once.. and then ban micro dosing once they can assuredly catch it in tests.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gadret-delighted-with-third-place-on-plan-de-corones

I would agree.

If it wasn't the only top french rider who I have for years been 100% sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is up to no good.

A

Anonymous

the yardstick for me, as ever is moncoutie

23rd, 2min 38 down, thats not a bad gauge.. mouncoutie within a minute of vino is what i would call good news, and a sign that maybe things are finally improving. Cunego, Sastre all around a similar range..

the handful of riders 2m40 on moncoutie.. not so sure about.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Face it, he packs his blood like everyone else.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When moncoutie starts doping we really are fcuked

A

Anonymous

TeamSkyFans said:
oh ok.. tfft, i was really worried that tff had gone over the edge then..

I posted without reading the thread. Sorry of Moncoutie got hit with some of the fragments.

TeamSkyFans said:

23rd, 2min 38 down, thats not a bad gauge.. mouncoutie within a minute of vino is what i would call good news, and a sign that maybe things are finally improving. Cunego, Sastre all around a similar range..

Ok, he was younger then but back in 2004 he finished equal eighth with Basso in the mountain time trial up alpe d'huez.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/?id=results/stage16

Hard to tell from one performance though, he doesnt seem to be in great form - see Terminillo, maybe he's saving something for another day.

issoisso said:
I would agree.

If it wasn't the only top french rider who I have for years been 100% sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is up to no good.

Why's that?:)

Was looking forward to seeing what he could do on the tour back in 2008 until he quit at the same time as Christophe Moreau. Did ok in the vuelta

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Cuddles is as dirty if not dirtier than the rest the of the peloton.

He's outclimbed everyone bar Basso including Scarponi and the evil Vino.

He's obviously upped his doping this year as he knows he is getting old. It's not as if he has a track record of riding for clean teams either - Mapei, T-Mob, Lotto and now Phonak 2.

Cuddles gets a easy time because he is an english speaker. Also, when you dope you are supposed to ride like Pantani or Dertie in the mountains, not spending your time sucking wheels, so people think he isn't doped because he doesn't ride like other dopers. So I guess the advantage of being so fugly on the bike.

Everyone's a bloody expert on this forum.

Let's be honest, you guys can speculate as much as you like, but you have no idea. Can you not accept that there always have to be people who are better than others and that someone has to win? Let's assume that they are all clean (?!), someone would still be better than the rest! You can only go on perception, and I find it sad that if someone is better than the rest than they must be doped. Let's turn this on it's head shall we? If they were all doping at the time then Indurain, Armstrong, Merckx were still the best riders.

I hate the idea of doping, I desperately wanted to believe in Armstrong because of his cancer and feel sad that he probably doped. People can do well when clean. Look at Boardman in the Dauphine in 95, he came second to Indurain, a close second, and he was surely clean as a whistle. Or is he a doper because he did well??? Let's get a grip.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

The problem with that is you never really know what Moncoutie's plans are. Maybe he was going hard or maybe he was saving a bit for a crack at the next stage.

A

Anonymous

Mambo95 said:
The problem with that is you never really know what Moncoutie's plans are. Maybe he was going hard or maybe he was saving a bit for a crack at the next stage.

its not an exact science admittedly, but the moncoutie gauge is one of the few things we have

TRENDING THREADS