• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
It's not completely out of the question to get three top 10s with that team. It will be interseting to see who is strongest of Mollema and Kruiswijk in the Vuelta.

Kriuswijk I think is the better cyclist. For the sake of this game I hope Kriuswijk wins the whole thing seeing I have him on my team and you do not.
And Frank gets second and Goss wins all the sprints. Yes you heard it here first.

More seriously my team is
FRANK Mathias - Maybe a stage win if is in the right place.
PHINNEY Taylor - Hard to expect anything given first GT
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose - Doubt he will be given any freedom to do anything for himself
DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres - Same as Cobo
GOSS Matthew Harley - With Cavendish racing not expecting much
HOWARD Leigh - Not expecting much
KASHECHKIN Andrey - working for Kessiakoff and/or Kiserlovski??
BOONEN Tom - Maybe some top tens in sprints.
KRUIJSWIJK Steven - Maybe a top ten finish, maybe a stage.
SÖRENSEN Chris - I guess will be riding for himself so might get a stage.
HAUSSLER Heinrich - Will be supporting Farrar for sprints so not expecting much.
Reserves Brandle and Oss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
It's not completely out of the question to get three top 10s with that team. It will be interseting to see who is strongest of Mollema and Kruiswijk in the Vuelta.

I'm not anticipating much from Mollema.

Wiggins is held by a lot of people, so while I hope he does well I don't think it will help me much in terms of the rankings.

JVDB... he's where I could get a big boost and maybe crack the top 10. If he podiums, that would be a ton of points that no other team I'm looking to catch would get.

So let's hope Jurgen can pull a small upset and win.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
They have said that he is co-leader with Kessiakoff. We'll have to wait and see how his shape is though.

Okay, missed that, to be honest I have not been following much of the Vuelta news just thought they he would not be in shape to be a team leader at a GT.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
from that list I have

Cobo
Mollema
Slagter
Arvesen
Leigh Howard
Seeldraeyers
De Maar
Phinney
Haussler

definitely not going to be expecting much at all...hopefully I can remain in the top 60

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Damn Phinney. Couldn't he have been lazy all year long? Now he won't be a good bargain for next year.

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!! I needed some points from him.

Edit: Only 236 points this week so without him it would have been hopeless.

Update 31

Well this isn't mine 31st update, but it's update 31 total. No new faces in the top 10 this week but a couple of teams have swapped positions. ingsve is still a runaway train - and is dangerously close to reaching 10000 points - but the rest of the top 10 is pretty close with just 600 points separating 2nd and 10th.

High jumpers this week include togo95 who jumps from 50th to 37th and now passes the 7500 mark and The Cobra who moves from 33rd to 23rd.

A total of 39 teams have now surpassed the 7500 barrier - congratulations! I myself still lacks a bit behind but hopefully I'll get there at some point ;)

Top 10

1. (1) ingsve - 9997
2. (7) mc_mountain - 9112
3. (2) Waterloo Sunrise - 8986
4. (5) Handbrake - 8901
5. (3) LukeSchmid - 8897
6. (4) theyoungest - 8853
7. (9) Ham-N-Eggs - 8735
8. (10) Sneekes - 8666
9. (6) Bumeington - 8593
10. (8) The Hitch - 8512

Download:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DRSF0H7J

wow wow... 2nd
if i can get through the vuelta relatively unscathed (i decided against taking cobo, even though i had space on my roster, on the basis i was only reminded about him from the buzz about the zero point rider), i like the idea that this game/the final placings could be decided by the worlds, where i expect a strong showing or Gdl, where i dont expect to do as well, unless one or two of my riders (other than gerrans who as far as i know has never shone/ridden lombardia) emerge as hilly classics riders.

riders for the vuelta
phinney
taarame
cav
degenkolb
kessiakoff
boonen
(seldrayers)
haussler
wiggins
possoni

hoping for a points total approx 1000 for the race

riders for high placing WCRR
cav
boonen
ebh

riders for high(ish) placing at gdl

erm... masciarelli
nordhaug
gerrans

for what its worth, phinney could still be good value if he ends up anywhere around the 500 point mark, ref sagan as rider with a strong first year followed by even better.
my view of wot consitutes good value is a rider who is likely to score 250 more than the previous year. this equates to a doubling of the score just the same is if your theory is each rider should double their own score. of course the risk with someone with say 1000 points is you could lose all those points to injury, poor form or suspension, but cav and ebh look to be doing well to support my theory.
will feel the pressure to be able get a strong team for next year

hrotha said:
Next year I'm not paying more than 700 for any rider (unless I'm a huge fan I guess). Too risky. Looking at my sheet, I'd say it's better to go for guys who had a complete wreck of a season plus 300-400 CQ points-worth guys on the rise.

Yeah, that was what The Hitch mentioned as a logical strategy before the game even started and it seems that time is proving that the cautious road is the successful one... although the game is fun with risk, so I'm sure some people will still enjoy those big buys. I know one person got Gilbert this year and I totally wrote it off, but they must be laughing now.

For me, my above 700 purchases were

Kreuziger (ugh, if only he hadn't ridden the Tour it would have been respectable, now he won't even make last year's total)

Ricco (enough said)

Boonen (even worse season than last year? What the hell?)

On the other hand, Cunego's turned out well. But generally, those high buys haven't been so hot.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
At the Vuelta, I really need Anton to win and Cavendish to stop winning sprints. My team is;

Anton
Boonen
Burghardt
Cobo Acebo
Duarte
Haussler
Kashechkin
Lovkvist
Nuyens
Phinney
Wiggins

mc_mountain said:
my view of wot consitutes good value is a rider who is likely to score 250 more than the previous year. this equates to a doubling of the score just the same is if your theory is each rider should double their own score. of course the risk with someone with say 1000 points is you could lose all those points to injury, poor form or suspension, but cav and ebh look to be doing well to support my theory.
will feel the pressure to be able get a strong team for next year

It will get clearer when we have all the results of the season whether the 2x rule is needed or not to be considered a good buy. There are certainly enough riders that double their score in the year that it's entirely possible to form a team or riders that can complete that goal.

I think this weeks shows that I'm right to not claim the victory just yet. mc_mountain beat me with almost 500 points in one week and with both Cav and EBH likely to have good fall seasons I can't say that I feel to safe. I feel more like a hunted prey.

hrotha said:
Next year I'm not paying more than 700 for any rider (unless I'm a huge fan I guess). Too risky. Looking at my sheet, I'd say it's better to go for guys who had a complete wreck of a season plus 300-400 CQ points-worth guys on the rise.

That was my policy, this year and it's been a flop. I am still struggling towards breaking even. Packed my team with young riders and rubbish seasoners who had scored 200-400 points.
So far, all but Diego Ulissi, Cam Meyer and Hennie Haussler have failed to make their last year's total; many are way off.
Lund, Kreder, Kump and of course, Sicard, have been disasters.

Anyhow, it's down to this bunch of Vuelta stage hunters, to get my rabble close to the magic marker:

Mark Cavendish
Tom Boonan
Henrich Haussler
Andrey Kasheskin
Thomas Lofkvist
Damiano Caruso
Fabio Duarte
Juan Jose Cobo
Francesco Gavazzi
Fredrik Kessiakoff

Frankly, I have no idea as to how many points these lads should realistically be able to accumulate. I suspect no more than a couple/few hundreds.

Mellow Velo said:
That was my policy, this year and it's been a flop. I am still struggling towards breaking even. Packed my team with young riders and rubbish seasoners who had scored 200-400 points.
So far, all but Diego Ulissi, Cam Meyer and Hennie Haussler have failed to make their last year's total; many are way off.
Lund, Kreder, Kump and of course, Sicard, have been disasters.

Anyhow, it's down to this bunch of Vuelta stage hunters, to get my rabble close to the magic marker:

Mark Cavendish
Tom Boonan
Henrich Haussler
Andrey Kasheskin

Thomas Lofkvist
Damiano Caruso
Fabio Duarte
Juan Jose Cobo

Francesco Gavazzi
Fredrik Kessiakoff

Frankly, I have no idea as to how many points these lads should realistically be able to accumulate. I suspect no more than a couple/few hundreds.

Your team always reminds me of mine, big names and mishap prone dopers = fail.

Cavendish
Boonen
Haussler
Kashechkin
Duarte
Cobo
Anton
Goss
Oliveira (!)
Seeldraeyers
Siutsou
Frank
De Maar
Arvesen
Klier

Half my team :eek:

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I came into the game with the idea that second tier sprinters who could win lesser races would be a good buy.

I missed on a lot of those guys. Bos, Swift and Haussler turned out. Keukeleire, Chicchi, Ciolek and Steegmans were big fails.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I am stuck in a predicament for 2012. Choose cadel and risk losing the opportunity to get points or not choose cadel and get lots of points?

This is the approach I took with choosing my current team. I really wasn't thinking of making more points. I pretty much chose riders that were good in 2010, hoping that they were going to be better this year.

I'm taking a far different approach for 2012.

ingsve said:
It will get clearer when we have all the results of the season whether the 2x rule is needed or not to be considered a good buy. There are certainly enough riders that double their score in the year that it's entirely possible to form a team or riders that can complete that goal.

another important set of riders for the game, is those with the potential for the exponential increase, dowsett, guardini, cobo, deignan, being examples (i have the two Ds).

as this draws towards its conclusion, weekly updates from CQ just doesn't seem like enough! are you currently taking measures to monitor the progress independently of the updates?

mc_mountain said:
another important set of riders for the game, is those with the potential for the exponential increase, dowsett, guardini, cobo, deignan, being examples (i have the two Ds).

as this draws towards its conclusion, weekly updates from CQ just doesn't seem like enough! are you currently taking measures to monitor the progress independently of the updates?

I keep a list of the points I score during the week but I don't look at what others are scoring regularly.

The problem with the exponential growers is that they are very hard to predict. Granted the ones you listed were fairly obvious except for Guardini who one needed special knowledge to know about.

Latest posts