• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
No guarantee that he would have done well at the worlds tho ?
Likely I agree...
But I just think ricco, would have collected more points this season (especially on the juice :p)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ventoso also seems to be picking up a lot of points and looks a decent acquisition. I also missed out on the aforementioned Cobo..

I'm happy with the way Renshaw is performing though. Hopefully he can grab a stage and finish on the podium in Qatar.

sublimit said:
Ventoso also seems to be picking up a lot of points and looks a decent acquisition. I also missed out on the aforementioned Cobo..
Honestly, I partially picked him because I've been a fan of his for a while and I was thrilled to see him back on a big team. I did think he'd have a good year but frankly his cost is high (532) and there's still a good chance he won't turn out to be a good buy, though things are looking good with his start (259 so far).
The Hitch said:
To those who say Ricco was a logical pick, but didnt pick Boonen and Cunego (both cost similar, Boonen 20 more, Cunego 90 less).

Could you say why you chose Ricco over those 2? Both were proven 1000+ getters, Boonen once got 2400, and both had very average 2010's. I understand why many thought RIcco was a good pick, but i dont understand why you would choose him over either of those.

Well, to be honest I had to put my team together extremely quickly and without the chance to read through this entire thread so I didn't really look at the three side-by-side, although I did briefly consider Boonen.

I never considered Cunego. Seems like his GT gc days may be over, he rarely wins stage races, and seems to have lost some of his sprinting punch. I think the chances of him going back to those 1200+ days are relatively slim.

Boonen traditionally scores a bunch of his points in sprints and he doesn't seem quite as fast as he used to be. Also, it seems like more and more people are focusing on, and getting better at the cobbled classics. i don't think he'll ever dominate them the way he used to. I mentioned above my thoughts on Ricco.
hrotha said:
If I hadn't said anything about Cobo, maybe few teams would have him now. But screw that, I prefer to spread the joy. 'Tis the year of Cobo.
Like Ventoso, I always follow Cobo and knew he had a horrendous year so he was always going to be on my team if it makes you feel any better.:)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
Honestly, I partially picked him because I've been a fan of his for a while and I was thrilled to see him back on a big team. I did think he'd have a good year but frankly his cost is high (532) and there's still a good chance he won't turn out to be a good buy, though things are looking good with his start (259 so far).

Well, to be honest I had to put my team together extremely quickly and without the chance to read through this entire thread so I didn't really look at the three side-by-side, although I did briefly consider Boonen.

I never considered Cunego. Seems like his GT gc days may be over, he rarely wins stage races, and seems to have lost some of his sprinting punch. I think the chances of him going back to those 1200+ days are relatively slim.

Boonen traditionally scores a bunch of his points in sprints and he doesn't seem quite as fast as he used to be. Also, it seems like more and more people are focusing on, and getting better at the cobbled classics. i don't think he'll ever dominate them the way he used to. I mentioned above my thoughts on Ricco.

Like Ventoso, I always follow Cobo and knew he had a horrendous year so he was always going to be on my team if it makes you feel any better.:)

All of that happened in a year time? Haha lol. Come'on you can't be serious with that. Cancellara was a big boy for the cobbled classics in 2005 already. It's not like he magically showed up this year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
Cancellara?:confused:

Well, without Cancellara Boonen would have still dominated the RvV and we don't know what would've happened at P-R without Cancellara.

So saying Boonen doesn't dominate because more people start focusing on the cobbles is kinda untrue. Cancellara was focusing on the cobbled classics already since 2005.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Well, without Cancellara Boonen would have still dominated the RvV and we don't know what would've happened at P-R without Cancellara.

Thats kinda the reason he didn't make my selection. Sure he didn't do aswell as Cancellara or indeed as he has done previoisly but his 2110 season was by no means a disaster on the cobbles.

El Pistolero said:

So saying Boonen doesn't dominate because more people start focusing on the cobbles is kinda untrue. Cancellara was focusing on the cobbled classics already since 2005.

I obviously wasn't talking about Cancellara and I stand by my statement that I don't think he'll dominate the cobbled classics the way he once did.

jaylew said:
)

2010 was the first time since he broke out in 04 that Cunego got less than 1200 points.

He got 1800 in 2008 with no gts. Even if you take away his 291 for worlds second place on basis that worlds dont suite him this year, thats 1500 +

He got 1291 in 2009.

Hes only 29 years old. WHy would his 1200+ days suddenly be over?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
I obviously wasn't talking about Cancellara and I stand by my statement that I don't think he'll dominate the cobbled classics the way he once did.

If we have seen anything it's that Cancellara and Boonen are quite a few levels over other cobbled classic guys.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
2010 was the first time since he broke out in 04 that Cunego got less than 1200 points.

He got 1800 in 2008 with no gts. Even if you take away his 291 for worlds second place on basis that worlds dont suite him this year, thats 1500 +

He got 1291 in 2009.

Maybe cos he had no crash or injury issues (that I can remember anyway) but still failed to win a race all throughout 2010, and never looked like winning one either?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Happy to be proved wrong (part of what makes the sport great) but I would be surprised if Cunego got 1000+. Only time will tell of course. :)

The Hitch said:

He got 1291 in 2009.

Hey, I could be wrong. In fact, there's a really good chance I'm wrong. He could have just had an off year, but I worry about that burst he seems to have lost. Maybe it's just matter of adjusting the way he races.

Really, it's just a feeling I have.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
annoyed at myself for not getting langeveld.
I've been waiting for the guy to make a step up to the next level, maybe this year will be that year. Though if he does, I'll be happy enough to not care about him not being in my team :p