• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ingsve said:
Ya, a hardcore version of the competition sounds like fun. I think 2500 points and 25 riders exactly sounds like a good setup. I would first of all exclude all the obvious doper picks like Pellizotti, Di Luca, Kashechkin. To make it even harder I think setting the lowest allowed cost to 10CQ$ is also a good idea to stop people from grabbing 4-5 expensive riders and filling out with lots of cheap riders like Cobo, Deignan, Stybar etc.

This sounds great and is similar to what I had thought of myself. We'll keep the options open though, so more people can come with some input.

Mellow Velo said:
With a fixed, concrete deadline and no revealing before said date?;)
Could be a real brain buster, with a 100 point average spend and no sub-10 point "fillers".

Exactly. This time I promise it ;)

The only issue would be my team: as I theoretically would be able to see all yours teams, I could just steal your ideas. However, I would have no hessitation sending my team to the first one sending in a hardcore team, and that way he could act as guarantee that I haven't cheated :)

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
great! so we will have a hardcore competition also, HK make yours now first and send it to whoever is the first to send you theirs.

like hrotha i also am BORED and am excited about this competition, but
like LukeSchmid i expect to perform badly

Personally I feel running a second competition isn't the best idea. It just dilutes the value of the original one. We all know who submitted teams early, or whose team was clearly an original creation. Winning is irrelevant, it's about seeing your decisions pay off and knowing your assessment was accurate. Those that didn't pick solely from starting at the Shark and going down to the 1 pointers will not be able to derive such satisfaction.

A second competition just makes this feel inferior.

Maybe if you feel something is missing there could be mini-games for the early classics season and GTs etc.

This competition is quite confusing.

Could someone please answer these questions to enlighten me and others that are interested in participating:

Is this competiton stil open for everyone with the original 31/12 deadline (normaly most players (like me) would send their team that day btw. to get as much information as possible) ?

Should the team be sent by pm or posted in the thread or both?

Does some riders have different values than the cq-ranking. I see Di Luca is mentioned somewhere at 113 dollars. Which riders does this aply to and what are their values ?

Is it correct that we pick 25-33 riders from 7500 cq dollars/points ?

Can riders with 0 points get picked ?

Thanks in advance for help.

Ferminal said:
Personally I feel running a second competition isn't the best idea. It just dilutes the value of the original one. We all know who submitted teams early, or whose team was clearly an original creation. Winning is irrelevant, it's about seeing your decisions pay off and knowing your assessment was accurate. Those that didn't pick solely from starting at the Shark and going down to the 1 pointers will not be able to derive such satisfaction.

Maybe if you feel something is missing there could be mini-games for the early classics season and GTs etc.
I agree with every single word in this post.

I cant believe you guys took my hardcore competition seriously.

It was a joke.

I suppose you are going to include the doping = dq rule to, otherwise its not really HARDCORE.

But i still thing this competition, the 7500 points 25-33 riders one is the MAIN EVENT.

ANd as Ferminal said to me in the pm, the real winner will come from those who post here regularly.

And hes got a point.

I know Timmy Loves Rabo podiumed the TDF competition, but i have no idea who came 1st.

But i would like to make a point to those who say "its just a game" ergo, it doesnt matter if some people cheat.

I disagree. Either it has meaning or it doesnt.

THe meaning of the competition is that people like myself, who otherwise would have been indifferent, might root for someone like Efimkin or Grivko when they get in a break or have a go, and actually check their finishing positions, rather than just switch the tv off after the peloton has rolled in

But if people are allowed to cheat, then the game loses its meaning. SO what do i care where Efimkin finished if in the end it doesnt really matter.

Its like in race threads everyone makes a wild prediction and on the rare occasion it comes off they like to brag about it. This is the same only long term, and less guesswork, more tactical.

Ferminal said:

Yep. As i said. The second competition is more of a time waster, secondary competition.

Ok I have an idea.

This relates to Ferminals mini competitions.

Here it is

Points Competition

Everyone pick 10 riders for Paris Nice at 1000 points. Same for TA. Do the same for Milan San Remo. Then RVV. The 1000 points means you wont be picking the winners, making it more interesting.

I have till March to figure out how to do this. Would probably involve everyone totaling up their own scores, and those who come top 10 then get their scores counted. by others (wouldnt take long)

Like green jersey standings, for every top 10 you get you get points.

SO if you win say MSr, you get 15 points into an overall competition, AND a stage win.
2nd gets 12 points into the overall competition. 3rd 10. 4th 7, 5th 6 6th 5 7th 4 8th 3 9th 2 10th 1

THis doubles for a GT, and decreases for smaller classics.

Like i said we proceed to do this for every PT race, monument, Grand Tour and those second classics -FW, AGR,PT, Canada.

The guy with the most points come October is the winner of....

the green jersey.

Heres part 2 of the idea.

Hugos comp (this thread) is the Yellow jersey standings.

This is the points competition. THe green jersey. The winner of a MSR, or a TA etc is a stage winner. Remember being a stage winner at a gt is also very prestigious.

That hardcore thing i came up with, can be the King of the Mountains competition.

And IF you want a team competition, well then we sort that out between factions. Dutch Mafia, Acf Mafia, create a seperate faction if you wish.

You guys said you were bored ;)

Barrus said:
This is getting too complicated for me :confused:

No its simple. There are 3 SEPERATE competions.

1 You have already entered the GC. the yellow jersey.

2 You now have till Dec 31st to enter the King of the mountains, Polka dot competition (see hardcore competition).

3 When the season kicks of you will have the ability to join the points competition, the Green jersey.

The Green Jersey is continous, a series of mini games.

Every race is a stage in the year long Green jersey comp. The stages are the 5 monuments, the 3 gts, the 10 or so pt races, and a few classics.

For every stage you can enter, and get points if you do well, and the points go towards your final points competition ranking.

Simple ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
No its simple. There are 3 SEPERATE competions.

1 You have already entered the GC. the yellow jersey.

2 You now have till Dec 31st to enter the King of the mountains, Polka dot competition (see hardcore competition).

3 When the season kicks of you will have the ability to join the points competition, the Green jersey.

The Green Jersey is continous, a series of mini games.

Every race is a stage in the year long Green jersey comp. The stages are the 5 monuments, the 3 gts, the 10 or so pt races, and a few classics.

For every stage you can enter, and get points if you do well, and the points go towards your final points competition ranking.

Simple ;)

I don't think many people know about all of this!:p

MADRAZO said:
This competition is quite confusing.

Could someone please answer these questions to enlighten me and others that are interested in participating:

Is this competiton stil open for everyone with the original 31/12 deadline (normaly most players (like me) would send their team that day btw. to get as much information as possible) ?

Should the team be sent by pm or posted in the thread or both?

Does some riders have different values than the cq-ranking. I see Di Luca is mentioned somewhere at 113 dollars. Which riders does this aply to and what are their values ?

Is it correct that we pick 25-33 riders from 7500 cq dollars/points ?

Can riders with 0 points get picked ?

Thanks in advance for help.

- Yes the competition is still open (see the first post of the thread).
- Send it to me in a PM
- Basically this only affects riders who has been suspended. e.g. Di Luca who doesn't have a 2010 value which means that he would cost 0 points. Anyone who doesn't have 2010 points has a value similar to their last active season (Di Luca = 113 points etc.).
- Yes between 25-33 riders which combined value doesn't exceed 7500 points.
- Yes riders with 0 points can be picked.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I think some here are getting way too competitive.

There's no money on the line here like some fantasy sports leagues... its just a fun little contest to make the season more interesting. There's no reason to whine about it being unfair.

Just stick with the one league with the one set of rules and be done with it. If you're ****ed off because someone got an advantage by putting their team in late, then quit.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
If you are going to be really serious about it, you can (for the Dutch people among us) look at gigabike.be to see how they do it. It is similar to the main event we have here, with the main difference there are transfer seasons (4-5 a year if I remember correct) at which you can change 5 riders at a time. With the CQ ranking as currency. Since it also awards people for winning races along the way, you get 2 kinds of teams entering. Teams aimed at 1-2 races and teams aimed at winning the overall ranking. The transfers add an extra dimension to the game, being able to switch out cobbles riders for Giro riders, etc. But that might require too much work to set up.

With that being probably too complicated, I like the Green jersey idea. I would give a little more than 1.000 points tho. Maybe 3.000 or so. That way you have the option to pick 2 big names and the rest nobodies, or 5-6 riders from the rabobus category and hope they all end top 10.

OK I'll try to do some clarification.

The "Hardcore competition" is still up for discussion. It doesn't affect the original game and it was just a suggestion if someone was willing to join.

Whether it's a good idea or not I don't know. Honestly, I'd like to keep this "the main competition" as simple as possible to not derail the thread or make people lose interest.

Based on this I will write off The Hitchs suggestion about several competitions overlapping eachother - atleast in this thread. The Hitch, if you would like to create a competition like you proposed I think that's great but I think we/you should create another thread for it, for this one to not be too confusing.

I already see a few people asking how to enter or claiming that this is getting confusing which I honestly understand. Of course this isn't just based on suggestions for new competitions but also on the fact that I set one deadline, then changed it etc., but that was necessary at the time.

I've already mentioned this, but I don't think the dynamics of this game has changed that much since I revealed some of the teams. I still see a lot of people sending in teams which are quite unique or atleast definately aren't just "the best of the best".

This game is just for fun. It's all about picking a team of riders you think will do well and with the purpose of making people discuss their choices and make them follow some races and/or riders they might not otherwise.
There's no prize in the competition. The only thing you can win is a pat on the shoulder and some recognition from other forum users. Surely the ones doing well with their unique team will get - and probably deserves - more credit than some who has a copied team. Finding that one rider which noone had thought of (or even knows) that does well during the 2011 season for sure will feel better than picking the one that everyone else has. After all, I think we all know who first came up with that "0 points guy", and I think it's great that some people still get regocnition for coming up with new names once the lists have been revealed (think Taaramae for instance).

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I think we should drop the "hardcore competition" - or atleast let it have its own thread to not let it neglect this one.

kurtinsc said:
I think some here are getting way too competitive.

There's no money on the line here like some fantasy sports leagues... its just a fun little contest to make the season more interesting. There's no reason to whine about it being unfair.

Just stick with the one league with the one set of rules and be done with it. If you're ****ed off because someone got an advantage by putting their team in late, then quit.

Your a funny guy.

You tell us to quit this competition if we dont like the fact that some people come in with near perfect lists, but then tell us we should stick with one competition.

Going by your logic, if you dont like other competitions, dont join them :rolleyes:

Hugo Koblet said:
Based on this I will write off The Hitchs suggestion about several competitions overlapping eachother - atleast in this thread. The Hitch, if you would like to create a competition like you proposed I think that's great but I think we/you should create another thread for it, for this one to not be too confusing.

I already see a few people asking how to enter or claiming that this is getting confusing which I honestly understand. Of course this isn't just based on suggestions for new competitions but also on the fact that I set one deadline, then changed it etc., but that was necessary at the time.

All right im starting another thread for other competitions.

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe now would be a good time to stop accepting new entries. Stop all this controversy over new people coming in with teams that has the benefit of hindsight and of seeing other teams/reading the discussions on here.

well the date is dec. 31st, and more than half the entries have had the 'advantage' of being able to see other entries, so it would seem arbitrary to stop it now.

Besides, those of us who like to second-guess themselves have mostly completed our teams but are waiting until as close to Dec. 31st as possible to send it in...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts