• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice... Daniel Oss got me nearly 80 points in a race which I didn't know existed. Capital. Oss (at nearly 400 points) was in my estimation one of my 'riskier' purchases, so I'm glad to see he's getting off the board so soon.

Also, I think Guardini is the early favorite for purchase of the year, cost 4 points and has already paid out something like 40 times over. I'd never even heard of him, so I salute those wise souls who did nab him.

When I introduced my team on page 56, I was expecting at least a few acknowledging that it was a young and very promising line-up I had added, but nothing!

Instead all the talk went on and on about the teams which has added the ever boring old guard Vandevelde-Di Luca-Pellizotti-Schumacher, and about how they only have a chance of winning this thing.

And while it may be the right analysis, I had other calculations; I didn’t forget one of those guys above in my pre team build up, I just didn’t want them on my team, as I wanted a young and dynamic team instead, and that I have gotten.

My team was ranked second to last on 2010 points, but as already proven by now I am much more competitive than that. And there is more to my clique than Monsalve and Guardini as well.

I haven’t had the chance to see all the other teams yet, but to me Madrazo looks very dangerous at this early point of the year. Good luck to everyone!

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Nice... Daniel Oss got me nearly 80 points in a race which I didn't know existed. Capital. Oss (at nearly 400 points) was in my estimation one of my 'riskier' purchases, so I'm glad to see he's getting off the board so soon.

Also, I think Guardini is the early favorite for purchase of the year, cost 4 points and has already paid out something like 40 times over. I'd never even heard of him, so I salute those wise souls who did nab him.

I am pleased to see Oss off the mark, my first non-Ausse to get some significant points. Whether he can do enough to justify selection is going to be interesting to see.

Jakob747 said:
When I introduced my team on page 56, I was expecting at least a few acknowledging that it was a young and very promising line-up I had added, but nothing!

Instead all the talk went on and on about the teams which has added the ever boring old guard Vandevelde-Di Luca-Pellizotti-Schumacher, and about how they only have a chance of winning this thing.

And while it may be the right analysis, I had other calculations; I didn’t forget one of those guys above in my pre team build up, I just didn’t want them on my team, as I wanted a young and dynamic team instead, and that I have gotten.

My team was ranked second to last on 2010 points, but as already proven by now I am much more competitive than that. And there is more to my clique than Monsalve and Guardini as well.

I haven’t had the chance to see all the other teams yet, but to me Madrazo looks very dangerous at this early point of the year. Good luck to everyone!

The team looks interesting but it's very hard to know what it will end up doing. There are as you say a lot of young riders if enough of them have a breakout year then this team will certainly be up there. The reason why people are a little sceptical about a team like this is that it requires a lot of riders to have perhaps the best year of their life the coming year and that seems like a though thing to predict.

It does have some of the basic things covered however. There are 33 riders and not any riders that have so many points that they become a liability or have limited earning potential. A lot of the riders are also so cheap that it can be fairly easy for them to at least equal their scores.

Moondance said:

Roy got a nice 80 too in some random race.

I'm just happy the Cobra is off the mark early.

I'm relying on just the top riders in my team (Ricco, Anton, Boonen, Haussler, Goss, Cav) to get me to 7500, the rest are all free

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Update 3

Not much has happened since last update. The top 10 still consists of the same 10 teams but with a few changes. More interestingly, Roundabout is no longer in last place. Two of his big name signings, Cunego and Chavanel, made sure that he now also is on the scoreboard with and grand total of 9 points. Instead Wiggins_fan has taken over the infamous 88. place.

Top 10:

Place (last update) Team name - points

1. (1) microdose - 1718
2. (2) Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer - 1392
3. (3) Pcutter - 1277
4. (4) auto de fé - 1140
5. (5) Spider1964 - 1094
6. (8) lancaster - 983
7. (7) Moondance - 963
8. (9) LukeSchmid - 931
9. (6) Bicing - 902
10. (10) trotters aotearoa - 831

Download link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q0591KB3

painful... lucky for LTD or i'd pretty much be in the bottom 5 :D

Jakob747 said:

Thanks for the confidence in my team :) I will return it and say your team also looks very promessing, (I had not noticed it originally as this thred is so long..) and Im sure you will do very well despite all your young picks and the boycot of the old boring dopers. And so far so good I guess.

Concerning the most important choises I hope Pardilla will be a great investment for you as he is one of my favorite riders and it will be interesting to see him ride the biggest races, and then hopefully Intxausti can revenge his horrible Vuelta with a great season. A great talent for sure, but propably your most risky pick in regards to cq-points. Finally good luck with young Ryabkin, quite unknown I think, but definetly a huge talent, it will be interesting to see how well he will do.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
God why didn't I pick Monsalve and Guardini like I considered? Monsalve is now at 201 points and Guardini at 164.. :(

Guardini is doing well but i dont reckon its a game changer. Not yet.

And I still dont understand why people are dissing Microdoses team ... i reckon it looks strong but maybe I'm missing something.

Were about to get to the real start of the season anyway with some good races coming up in February and a better idea of whats happening.. Qatar here we come.

sublimit said:
Guardini is doing well but i dont reckon its a game changer. Not yet.

And I still dont understand why people are dissing Microdoses team ... i reckon it looks strong but maybe I'm missing something.

Were about to get to the real start of the season anyway with some good races coming up in February and a better idea of whats happening.. Qatar here we come.

Sure it's no game breaker, but it would be kinda strange if you didn't curse yourself for not including him (or them) in your team when you considered doing so :)

And yay: page 100!

I've said it before: change your settings.

It's only page 25 for me. If you read a lot of stuff here it's just so much easier. You can almost always just go to the last page and find everything you missed. No need to backtrack through to find the last page you missed.

jaylew said:

It's only page 25 for me. If you read a lot of stuff here it's just so much easier. You can almost always just go to the last page and find everything you missed. No need to backtrack through to find the last page you missed.

That's a good idea. Didn't know I could do that. But I don't mind having created a thread so popular that it surpasses the 100 pages - it just sounds better than 25 ;)

jaylew said:

Fun fact: the only reason I registered was to be able to change the posts-per-page setting while reading about Landis.

I sort of got caught up afterwards.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
I am pleased to see Oss off the mark, my first non-Ausse to get some significant points. Whether he can do enough to justify selection is going to be interesting to see.

I think he will take a big step up this year. Liquigas is good with nurturing young talents so hopefully he will get some big results in the classics. Him and Caruso both did well for my team. I think i'm really going to regret not picking one of the young liquigas sprinters though. I don't seem to have gained any points for Sella's third place overall in the tour of langkawi, but maybe i'm missing something

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Blah... no Phinney for Qatar. Knee issues.

That sucks, because I thought he'd have a good shot at winning that 2km ITT given his pursuit background, and ending up high on the final rankings because of it.

Now, even if he rides some of the early races like Oman, he's probably not going to be in good enough shape to make much noise... and these were the ones where I thought he might score some points.

Dissapointing for all us Phinney owners.

kurtinsc said:

That sucks, because I thought he'd have a good shot at winning that 2km ITT given his pursuit background, and ending up high on the final rankings because of it.

Now, even if he rides some of the early races like Oman, he's probably not going to be in good enough shape to make much noise... and these were the ones where I thought he might score some points.

Agreed... This would've been an excellent race for him to pick up points. As a Phinney owner I am sad.

kurtinsc said:

The "high on the final rankings" part wasn't very likely anyway, he'd have to pick up bonus seconds in a very strong sprint field. Or did you expect him to win a 2 km prologue by a 20 second margin ;)

jaylew said:

Whoa, revelation of the day for me. I've been coming here for 2 years (well, since the forum started) and didn't even consider this. Maybe I didn't see your advice before because it was too far back in a thread and I couldn't be bothered.

auscyclefan94 said:
Someone who didn't take a lot of time looking at the teams or riders could do well and win and someone who could of studied quite hard won't do very well. Some of it is skill and some just sheer dumb luck.

Yep, that's the beauty of these games. I often play fantasy games where I'm the most serious 'numbers' guy, analyzing the best buys and best strategies to maximize numbers. In the long run, I think it's successful, like over 6 years I've only come in the bottom half of the standings once, and won once. But in the shorter term, in a single season, anyone can win. And we all get to use our own strategies, which is great that there's no prescribed successful strategy. Of course, there are some strategies that seem like they definitely might not succeed, such as picking a handful of norwegian riders and not even spending half your points...

TRENDING THREADS