• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Speaking of 15 points, luckyboy, thats how much you got for the 3 a's, Andrew Amets and Alessandro , only one of which did anything all week.

Yeah, worked it out before. At least Bozic got 15pts for his mountain rank.

Just waiting for Coppi e Bartali/Catalunya now to see what half the guys I have from Colombia es Pasion can do.

COPPI E BARTALI - Laverde, J.Martinez + Pantano, along with Cunego.
CATALUNYA - Cano, Pena, Chalapud, Quintana, Martinez and also Karpets, Soler, Siutsou, F.Masciarelli, Menchov.

If I don't get some good points out of those races, then I don't know what to think. Before that I've got Cav winning MSR to look forward to :rolleyes:

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Pretty sure we stated a convicted doper = 0 points all season.
so yes, it should change the winner, that was the risk of a doper.

Yeah, I was wondering about that the other day when I was thinking about how Ricco got 24 points. I mean, he never got 'caught', just suspiciously fired with rumours around him and vowed never to ride again. So do those of us who have him get our 24 points taken away? I would think that a rider has to be sanctioned by the UCI to get their points taken away (and I'm not saying that because I want the 24 points, I think it makes sense as a line in the sand), and if Di Luca tests positive on October 17th then we get 0 for him for the whole year.

What to do with other riders is more confusing. What if he's disqualified for, say, the Giro in July, just like in 2009? Do the other riders move up the Giro ranks? I think CQ adjusts them, so that would make sense. What if someone tests positive on January 2nd, 2012 for something in September? That would be trickier. What if someone tests positive in November for the Worlds but is not sanctioned before January 1st? That's even trickier.

My thought is that if a rider is sanctioned before January 1st, they should lose their points for sure; if they test positive for something but are not sanctioned before January 1st (ie. Mosquera, Contador) then they should not lose their points; basically, if CQ hasn't adjusted their points, they are not 'lost'. If a rider tests positive during the year, say in July for the Giro, he only loses his Giro points on CQ but loses ALL his points in this game (without other riders moving up for those races his results weren't nullified for by the UCI). It's not a great solution but you've gotta draw a line somewhere and that's as clear as we can get. It would just suck if, say we played this last year and someone won but would have lost if Mosquera was dq'd or something. So we should at least have some rules in place so it isn't as bad if that happens.

Hugo? What sayest thou?

edit: Maybe we should have a separate thread for this matter in the clinic, haha the cq game can take over there too.

skidmark said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that the other day when I was thinking about how Ricco got 24 points. I mean, he never got 'caught', just suspiciously fired with rumours around him and vowed never to ride again. So do those of us who have him get our 24 points taken away? I would think that a rider has to be sanctioned by the UCI to get their points taken away (and I'm not saying that because I want the 24 points, I think it makes sense as a line in the sand), and if Di Luca tests positive on October 17th then we get 0 for him for the whole year.

What to do with other riders is more confusing. What if he's disqualified for, say, the Giro in July, just like in 2009? Do the other riders move up the Giro ranks? I think CQ adjusts them, so that would make sense. What if someone tests positive on January 2nd, 2012 for something in September? That would be trickier. What if someone tests positive in November for the Worlds but is not sanctioned before January 1st? That's even trickier.

My thought is that if a rider is sanctioned before January 1st, they should lose their points for sure; if they test positive for something but are not sanctioned before January 1st (ie. Mosquera, Contador) then they should not lose their points; basically, if CQ hasn't adjusted their points, they are not 'lost'. If a rider tests positive during the year, say in July for the Giro, he only loses his Giro points on CQ but loses ALL his points in this game (without other riders moving up for those races his results weren't nullified for by the UCI). It's not a great solution but you've gotta draw a line somewhere and that's as clear as we can get. It would just suck if, say we played this last year and someone won but would have lost if Mosquera was dq'd or something. So we should at least have some rules in place so it isn't as bad if that happens.

Hugo? What sayest thou?

edit: Maybe we should have a separate thread for this matter in the clinic, haha the cq game can take over there too.

Well, the most logical thing would be to have a final date where the winner is announced and anything that happens after that doesn't affect the results of the game. December 31st would be the most logical date I guess.

luckyboy said:
Yeah, worked it out before. At least Bozic got 15pts for his mountain rank.

Just waiting for Coppi e Bartali/Catalunya now to see what half the guys I have from Colombia es Pasion can do.

COPPI E BARTALI - Laverde, J.Martinez + Pantano, along with Cunego.
CATALUNYA - Cano, Pena, Chalapud, Quintana, Martinez and also Karpets, Soler, Siutsou, F.Masciarelli, Menchov.

If I don't get some good points out of those races, then I don't know what to think. Before that I've got Cav winning MSR to look forward to :rolleyes:

I've been curious about when people think their team is going to 'peak', and have been considering asking everyone. I mean, microdose has a good team generally but was obviously going to be in the lead after the TDU. Someone with Boonen, Ballan, Haussler, Boom, EBH, etc would be in good shape for the cobbled classics I'd think. Someone with Menchov, Rujano, Anton etc might be good for the Giro. If you picked Cav or Breschel or Farrar or Griepel you might have a final surge at the Worlds.

So what have people got? What do you think is your time of year when you think 'crap, if I haven't made it by now I'm toast'?

For my part, I think my team is pretty balanced, with some guys who can show in the spring classics (but not too unique of picks), but really my season rests around the Giro and Vuelta, especially depending on my most expensive pick Kreuziger. Not much for me in the Tour I believe. So I wanna be up around the Giro (good luck without Ricco I guess) and might take a hit around the Tour, but if I'm in the game enough after that I have the Vuelta to fall back on, if all the riders I hope ride it end up riding it. Of course there's a lot due to change with injuries etc, but that's my feeling.

others?

CQ adjusts the rankings after official sanctions are handed down. i.e. After Valverde last year and the announcement that his 2010 results were void, CQ proceeded to erase Alejandro from those races. I think it would be best to stick with this. Otherwise would we have erased Contador and Mosquera in 2010, but one of them ends up getting off?

What ingsve said.

ingsve said:
Well, the most logical thing would be to have a final date where the winner is announced and anything that happens after that doesn't affect the results of the game. December 31st would be the most logical date I guess.

yeah, that's pretty much what I said, except in a sentence instead of 3 paragraphs. Thanks, on behalf of the rest of the forum. :D

I just hope it isn't like Landis in 2006 where it's obvious by Jan 1 that he will be convicted but not official.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I got.

For classics

Stijn Devolder: My strongest candidate for one day classics. He's won Flanders twice and will be looking forward to his spring campaign.

George Hincapie: Alot of people will and are going to say he's past his prime, but I think if he's on top of his game, he can do pretty well.

Taylor Phinney: So far he's ben a letdown due to injuries. I'm not sure if he does do some classics how he'll stand up to the rest of the competition.

Heinrich Haussler: Second to Devolder. My prime candidate for MSR.

For GT's

Igor Anton: The Giro and the Vuelta. Last year he seemed on track to win the Vuelta. Who knows how he'll do at the Giro. A stage, a few days in pink maybe. I do expect a good spot on GC for him. I expect him to do better at the Vuelta.

Nicolas Roche: Landed good spots on GC at the Tour and Vuelta. And seems to be progressing each year.

Christian Vandevelde: He's doing good so far. I just really hope he can stay injury free and he'll be a great buy. And I would really like to see him actually do something at a race other than the Tour de France.

Andreas Kloden: So I heard only me and another person have him. He did good at Paris-Nice. It might be too early to say, but a good Tour could follow.

Jose Rujano: Most likely Androni will take him to the Giro. He's claimed he's the third best climber in the world. Stages and maybe the KoM is what I would expect from him.

Sprinters

Andre Greipel: New team means new opportunities. He's done good during his years at HTC, but so far hasn't done as well with Lotto. I hope that turns around in the coming months.

Gerald Ciolek: Same as Andre. Hasn't done much. Will it change? I sure hope so.

Anibal and Alejandro Borrajo: With the absence of Ivan Dominguez and the transition from Colavita to Saxo-Bank by Sebastian Haedo, I feel that these two are the best sprinters on the domestic circuit.

Darkhorses

Rory Sutherland: Back to racing in Europe. So far, he hasn't lived up to what I have expected from him.

Kiel Reijnen: I have followed him since his Jelly Belly days. He had a good 2010, winning the Tour of Thailand and doind good at Hainan, and Quinghai Lake. It's his first year racing at this level, so lets see what he can do.

Brice Feillu: With the switch to Leopard-Trek, it seems like he may be in service of the Schlecks, but I'm sure he'll get some chances of his own.

Mauricio Soler: Last year he wasn't able to perform at full gas due to his injury. He has had some bad luck, but not as bad as being out of competition. He won't let me down.

Andrew Talansky: Another one of the one guys that JV praises as a great rider. He's done good at Mediteraneen and his 7th place at the PN TT. Chances are Garmin will send him to the Vuelta.

Other riders

Dave Zabriskie

Alex Rasmussen

Carlos Ochoa

Luis Amaran

Juan Manuel Garate

Juan Pablo Suarez

I did have Pellizotti, but he's been banned.

And that's my team.

skidmark said:
I've been curious about when people think their team is going to 'peak', and have been considering asking everyone.

I think I have parts of my team that will be giving points at all parts of the season. I have a certain set of riders for the classics in Haussler, Nuyens, Ballan, Boonen, Quinziato etc. They will probably score most of their points in the coming month. After that it could go either way for some of these riders.

Then there is the Tour crowd that will probably score most of their points leading up to and during the Tour. I'm talking here about riders like Wiggins, Uran, Vandevelde for example.

After the Tour it depends on invites a lot for me. I imagine that my Geox riders hopefully get a chance in the Vuelta so I won't give up on those riders until that is settled at least. And then there are guys like Cunego who will probably score points all the way through the italian fall classics.

Then there is a crowd of riders that I'm sort of stuck with that I don't know where they will score their points or if they even will.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
skidmark said:
I've been curious about when people think their team is going to 'peak', and have been considering asking everyone.

Overall, I think mine is balanced. I'm not going to be very strong at any time, but I should be able to avoid being very weak at any point either.

My "stage racers": Wiggins, Van Garderen, Vande velde, Van den Broeck, Uran, Talansky, Sicard, Mollema, Duarte, Danielson, Cobo

My "sprinters": Swift, Steegmans, Ciolek, Chicchi, Bos, Haussler, Keukeliere

My "classics guys": Boom, Degenkolb, Maskaant, Hoogerland, Hermans

My "who knows where they'll score guys": Phinney, Seeldrayers, Feillu, Lloyd, Stetina, Butler

My "zero point scorers": Pelizotti

Not a lot of guys there who can actually win a big race, but hopefully they can get points from lesser races and get lesser results at big races. I'm probably weakest in the classics, but there are enough stage races and lesser sprints that while I'm weak in that area, I dont' think it will cause much of a dip in point output over April.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Steegmans picks up 80 points for me by winning Nokere-Koerse a race I had never heard of before and certainly would not of cared much about without this game. Helps me a bit after a poorer Tirreno than alot of other teams.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
I just saw that I have 15 riders starting in Milan-San Remo so hopefully that can give at least some 5-pointers for finishing the race...

I have 7 riders and some of them highly unlikely to do anything. Main hopes Haussler, Goss and Boonen.

Ferminal said:
Hmm, Pelliotti and Valjavec were more just there as fillers as I had no time so just added them as the first names which came to mind.

But Sinkewitz and Ricco, silly me, I didn't even consider the fact that they might get caught again.

Same here. I don't have Valjavec though, but I do have those 3 others.... and Maaskant. Who was supposed to gather some points in the upcoming weeks for me.... :/

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
I suppose for a rider getting caught is bad luck, but to me bad luck is having a rider hit a dog/fall from a ladder/get shot while hunting/add as applicable.

I'd say getting caught isn't bad luck for a rider... it's expected punishment for a bad choice.

But it's definitely bad luck for those who picked the rider in this fantasy game. Ferminal didn't dope for these guys... he just got unlucky.

TRENDING THREADS