• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crank arms

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Crank arm length is somewhat dependent on leg length/cadence (and other factors) but generally sprinters use shorter... if you do a search of this site e.g. Form and Fitness you will find articles or links to the info you need.

Failing that google is your friend

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
wavecito said:
What is the ideal lenth of the crank arms on a track bike for the different disciplines?:confused:

It has been awhile but when i was racing 165 was the standard, I know some kilo & pursuiters would go a little longer but generally it was just easier to go with 165 for everything.

I am actually 6ft 1in tall with a long inseam and when i started riding road i did a professional fitting and started using 175. I ended up always grinding too big a gear. Then i went back to track & found my spin again using the 165's. When i went back to the road i switched to 170's, even for road racing. I feel like it is easier to accelerate the shorter crank(turning smaller circle) and i don't notice any loss of power on the climbs. I feel like i have just as much leverage.
Bottom line you get a better spin with shorter cranks and once you become acclimated to them you will love them.:cool:

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
A recent study by Dr Jim Martin showed that crank length makes pretty much no difference in terms of power production.

Where it can make a difference is in comfort and position of body. Shorter cranks can allow the body to go lower at the front and hence more aero.

FWIW, I use three difference cranks lengths (167.5, 170 and 172.5). No difference in power, performance or comfort.

So if anything perhaps err on the side of shorter.