• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What do you guys think of Warner as an opener? To me he comes along as someone who should bat middle order and therefore should switch batting position with Watson who did good last time he opened.

hoerpi said:
What do you guys think of Warner as an opener? To me he comes along as someone who should bat middle order and therefore should switch batting position with Watson who did good last time he opened.

Warner does not convince me as a test player. He gets out playing too many bad shots and is too impatient. Watson should be opening with Cowan or Hughes. If Warner is going to be in the team he should be batting at 6. Clarke is having ongoing back problems and now hamstring problems as well. He is no certainty to be ready for the first Ashes Test. Which would make Australia's task even harder if it happens. Australia was woeful against India and we need to find some more, quality spinners.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
We haven't got anybody else. Warner is easily our third best test batsman (after Clarke and Cowan), ahead of flat track bullies like Hughes and no-markers like Watson.

movingtarget said:
Warner does not convince me as a test player. He gets out playing too many bad shots and is too impatient. Watson should be opening with Cowan or Hughes. If Warner is going to be in the team he should be batting at 6. Clarke is having ongoing back problems and now hamstring problems as well. He is no certainty to be ready for the first Ashes Test. Which would make Australia's task even harder if it happens. Australia was woeful against India and we need to find some more, quality spinners.

Ahmed, hopefully and Agar.

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:

Then we agree somewhat. As an outsider I want the Ashes to provide great cricket and then both teams has to have their best line ups.

Cyivel said:
Jesse Ryder in a critical condition after being assaulted.

Horrible news but he gave his family a thumbs up today! Still in induced coma though.

Hope he will be alright obviously.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I notice we are following the tour of England with a 7 match meaningless ODI series with India in India, just a couple of weeks before England come here.

What a stupid decision taken by CA. It would have been better to get those JAMODI's out of the way now, 60 days (or thereabouts) before going to England. With this series taking place in the no-mans-land that separates the two Ashes series, all it's going to do is ruin our preparation for the home series. If we were hosting India for them, then it wouldn't be as bad, but now the players will only get one or two Shield matches (at best) in that two week period to find form in Australian conditions.

Alphabet said:
I notice we are following the tour of England with a 7 match meaningless ODI series with India in India, just a couple of weeks before England come here.

What a stupid decision taken by CA. It would have been better to get those JAMODI's out of the way now, 60 days (or thereabouts) before going to England. With this series taking place in the no-mans-land that separates the two Ashes series, all it's going to do is ruin our preparation for the home series. If we were hosting India for them, then it wouldn't be as bad, but now the players will only get one or two Shield matches (at best) in that two week period to find form in Australian conditions.

That is crazy. They could have had a short break and played them now. I'm surprised the ACB agreed to this but then they played some tests in India without selecting a spinner. So decision making is not their strong point.

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
That is crazy. They could have had a short break and played them now. I'm surprised the ACB agreed to this but then they played some tests in India without selecting a spinner. So decision making is not their strong point.

I'm sorry but BCCI will never schedule anything during their beloved borefest called IPL.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
The worst thing about the IPL is that it has inspired other countries (Australia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) to start their own T20 leagues modelled on the IPL way of signing expensive foreign stars as well as overpaying local talent. And this will ruin the upcoming generation in those countries.

England and South Africa appear to be the only places left now where domestic 4-day matches take priority over domestic T20 leagues. If even a tenth of the funding poured into the various T20 leagues around the world was funneled into developing long-form cricketers then the standard of test cricket today would rise immeasurably and you'd no longer see matches finishing inside three days, whitewashes, teams getting shot out for 45 etc. which have been incredibly common in the last 18-24 months.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
It seems the BCCI have shot themselves in the foot with regards to the IPL and advertising revenue- too much cricket appears to be turning Indian fans off the sport a bit.

http://business.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?284726

The IPL numbers proved this conclusively last year when sponsorship revenue dropped to Rs 245 crore from 65 brands compared with Rs 265 crore from 70 brands in 2011. Meanwhile, rating points also dropped marginally from 3.7 in 2011 to 3.6 in season 5. So, when MSM announced a rate of Rs 5.5 lakh per 10 seconds for IPL 6, it found sponsors staying away or even backing out.

Notice that a lot of cricket matches these days are played to small crowds. Not a good sign. Too much cricket and too much on TV it seems. Some people think 20/20 is the future of cricket. I am not sure it will last, not in every cricketing nation anyway. It would be a shame if test cricket became a four day game and I'm not sure if dropping one day to increase it's popularity would work anyway as even the ODI crowds have dropped off. I know night time tests and shortening the length of tests has been spoke about. Seriously or not, I'm not sure.

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
The worst thing about the IPL is that it has inspired other countries (Australia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) to start their own T20 leagues modelled on the IPL way of signing expensive foreign stars as well as overpaying local talent. And this will ruin the upcoming generation in those countries.

England and South Africa appear to be the only places left now where domestic 4-day matches take priority over domestic T20 leagues. If even a tenth of the funding poured into the various T20 leagues around the world was funneled into developing long-form cricketers then the standard of test cricket today would rise immeasurably and you'd no longer see matches finishing inside three days, whitewashes, teams getting shot out for 45 etc. which have been incredibly common in the last 18-24 months.

Problem is a lot of the clubs in England at least, focus more on T20 because it brings more money in but the long time older fans prefer 4 day cricket so there is always a clash

AUSTRALIA'S ASHES SQUAD

Michael Clarke (c), Brad Haddin (vc), Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson
AUSTRALIA A SQUAD

Brad Haddin (c), Steve Smith (vc), Ashton Agar, Jackson Bird, Alex Doolan, Ryan Harris, Moises Henrqiues, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Nic Maddinson, James Pattinson, Chadd Sayers, Peter Siddle, Jordan Silk

No Johnson which is no surprise. One spinner. No Hilfenhaus who I thought would have been in the squad. Rogers is probably a good inclusion. Cummins must still be on the way back from injury. The good thing is that the squad may be added to according to the coach and they are being flexible. Hopefully Harris can stay injury free. Watson dropping from vice captain is probably a good thing for him. Not a great Ashes side on paper but many of those players will be out to cement a position which means the competition and the pressure will be high and hopefully bring out the best in them.

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
AUSTRALIA'S ASHES SQUAD

Michael Clarke (c), Brad Haddin (vc), Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson
AUSTRALIA A SQUAD

Brad Haddin (c), Steve Smith (vc), Ashton Agar, Jackson Bird, Alex Doolan, Ryan Harris, Moises Henrqiues, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Nic Maddinson, James Pattinson, Chadd Sayers, Peter Siddle, Jordan Silk

No Johnson which is no surprise. One spinner. No Hilfenhaus who I thought would have been in the squad. Rogers is probably a good inclusion. Cummins must still be on the way back from injury. The good thing is that the squad may be added to according to the coach and they are being flexible. Hopefully Harris can stay injury free. Watson dropping from vice captain is probably a good thing for him. Not a great Ashes side on paper but many of those players will be out to cement a position which means the competition and the pressure will be high and hopefully bring out the best in them.

1. Watson
2. Cowan
3. Hughes
4. Warner
5. Clarke
6. Khawaja
7. Haddin
8. Siddle
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Bird

That would be my starting XI but it will probably never become reality. There are no middle order batsmen in the squad except for Clarke which is a big problem, that's why Warner needs to bat at 4.

hoerpi said:
1. Watson
2. Cowan
3. Hughes
4. Warner
5. Clarke
6. Khawaja
7. Haddin
8. Siddle
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Bird

That would be my starting XI but it will probably never become reality. There are no middle order batsmen in the squad except for Clarke which is a big problem, that's why Warner needs to bat at 4.

Hussey couldn't have retired at a worse time. I would probably have Clarke at 4 and Warner at 5. I spoke too soon. Harris has done his achilles tendon but it's not supposed to be serious. He really is injury prone even for a fast bowler. I'm in two minds about Haddin too. Sometimes his wicket keeping is awful and he bats like it's a 20/20 but he has been getting runs recently. It's a shame that Tim Paine had a broken thumb when Haddin was replaced before. I think he is Australia's best with bat and gloves.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Whenever it says "Ryan Harris", I read "Mitchell Johnson has been called up as a back-up" :D.

It's a far better squad than the army of timewasters we took to India, but we're really going to struggle to win the series in England. Best case scenario we lose 2-1 or 3-2 with some dignity and some good experience for the youngsters to build on and hopefully make a real fist of trying to win them back in Australia.

Alphabet said:
Whenever it says "Ryan Harris", I read "Mitchell Johnson has been called up as a back-up" :D.

It's a far better squad than the army of timewasters we took to India, but we're really going to struggle to win the series in England. Best case scenario we lose 2-1 or 3-2 with some dignity and some good experience for the youngsters to build on and hopefully make a real fist of trying to win them back in Australia.

Steve Waugh seems more positive although that could also read as unrealistic. I'm in two minds. If we don't get thrashed in the first two tests it might spur them on. We also hate getting beaten by the Poms and history shows that surprising results happen for both teams in the Ashes series.