• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Managed to watch most games either through the day or highlights. Australia look impressive and must be favourites at this stage. India seem a little vulnerable in the middle order and their performance in the final overs against England was poor, they probably wouldn’t have won, but give it a go at least?

England have been far too inconsistent and haven’t played well when chasing, but the batting strength when batting first means they cannot be overlooked.

Some great games so far and it’s been helped by pitches that have been really varied to suit all players.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Managed to watch most games either through the day or highlights. Australia look impressive and must be favourites at this stage. India seem a little vulnerable in the middle order and their performance in the final overs against England was poor, they probably wouldn’t have won, but give it a go at least?

England have been far too inconsistent and haven’t played well when chasing, but the batting strength when batting first means they cannot be overlooked.

Some great games so far and it’s been helped by pitches that have been really varied to suit all players.

England looked a lot better against India. NZ fans must be frustrated. So often their bowlers do well to be let down by their batsmen. Agree on the pitches. Been a nice mix of results.

New Zealand seem to be going off the boil at the wrong time, the reverse can be said about England with 2 excellent wins after getting themselves into a spot of bother.

With the wickets firming up and more warm weather forecast it looks even more crucial to win the toss and bat the other team out of the game.

Re:

movingtarget said:
The semi finals look like interesting games. Australia coming off a loss to South Africa and didn't play well. Khawaja with injury concerns. Pakistan blew a good chance to make the semis by not bowling out Afghanistan quick enough.

To be fair to Afghanistan they managed to bat out the overs in most of their games, and the pitches they got which spun against Pakistan and India almost produced shocks.

The biggest loss for Pakistans run rate was the absolute hammering against the Windies in game 1. 105 all out and they lost inside 14 overs.

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
movingtarget said:
The semi finals look like interesting games. Australia coming off a loss to South Africa and didn't play well. Khawaja with injury concerns. Pakistan blew a good chance to make the semis by not bowling out Afghanistan quick enough.

To be fair to Afghanistan they managed to bat out the overs in most of their games, and the pitches they got which spun against Pakistan and India almost produced shocks.

The biggest loss for Pakistans run rate was the absolute hammering against the Windies in game 1. 105 all out and they lost inside 14 overs.

Yes Pakistan were up and down. Aussies have taken a hit. Khawaja is out and Stoinis might be out. Matthew Wade is a good replacement for Khawaja but the bowling stocks look a bit thinner. I guess Marsh who is also an all rounder will get the call up.

movingtarget said:
Pricey_sky said:
movingtarget said:

Yes Pakistan were up and down. Aussies have taken a hit. Khawaja is out and Stoinis might be out. Matthew Wade is a good replacement for Khawaja but the bowling stocks look a bit thinner. I guess Marsh who is also an all rounder will get the call up.

Yes a few injury problems for the Aussies heading into the semi-final. But most of the big guns should be there so it’ll be a strong side nonetheless.

As a side note the weather is supposed to turn quite nasty on Thursday with thunder storms forecast for parts of the UK. Fortunately the forecast is for them to clear and Friday to be ok, but it’ll be a big disadvantage to the team that makes it through with only 48 hours to the final, then the other side would have had 3 extra days rest and prep.

Wow! Real suprise today, New Zealand had looked decidedly average since the West Indies game and they rattled through one of the strongest top orders in the tournament. I'm not sure if Khawaja is out or not but in all honesty playing Smith at three might help Australia. Something else which'll help Australia though is putting Carey above Maxwell - Maxwell can't actually bat twenty overs or so while Carey has shown he can, so just put Maxwell in for the last ten in any scenario, rather than playing him as a fixed five or six.

Hopefully England will win tomorrow, but it should be tight, very tight. Australia are terrible at Edgbaston historically, and Buttler is due a big innings, so fingers crossed

Managed to get back to watch the last 20 overs of the chase, great drama! Credit to New Zealand who were superb under pressure.

Massive game tomorrow, just hope the weather doesn’t spoil it as it doesn’t look too promising at the moment, hopefully the heavy showers pass through north of Egbaston.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Managed to get back to watch the last 20 overs of the chase, great drama! Credit to New Zealand who were superb under pressure.

Massive game tomorrow, just hope the weather doesn’t spoil it as it doesn’t look too promising at the moment, hopefully the heavy showers pass through north of Egbaston.

Shame the NZ game was interrupted but on their day they can beat anyone. Had a feeling that India would be under much more pressure and it kind of played out that way with some poor shot selections. Hope the weather doesn't play too much of a role in the final two games. Hate to see it decided on run rate.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Brilliant win from England and outplayed Australia from start to finish.

Should be a good final against the kiwis and a new name on the trophy.

It promises to be some day of sport on Sunday with the final, British GP, Wimbledon final and the Tour.

Australia were hammered. Smith's run out was an indication of the sort of day England had. Top order failure and the lack of Khawaja hurt them but the result would have been the same. At least Australia has unearthed Alex Carey who looks like being their next keeper/batsman when Paine disappears from tests. Stoinis and Maxwell had an awful cup with the bat and both should be dropped from the ODI squad. Maxwell has been a 20/20 expert for years now and nothing else. He no longer has the mindset for the other forms of the game. One of the most overrated batsmen of recent times.

I hope the Kiwis play up to their abilities and make it a contest. Could be interesting if they do but I still favour England to win.

movingtarget said:
Pricey_sky said:
Brilliant win from England and outplayed Australia from start to finish.

Should be a good final against the kiwis and a new name on the trophy.

It promises to be some day of sport on Sunday with the final, British GP, Wimbledon final and the Tour.

Australia were hammered. Smith's run out was an indication of the sort of day England had. Top order failure and the lack of Khawaja hurt them but the result would have been the same. At least Australia has unearthed Alex Carey who looks like being their next keeper/batsman when Paine disappears from tests. Stoinis and Maxwell had an awful cup with the bat and both should be dropped from the ODI squad. Maxwell has been a 20/20 expert for years now and nothing else. He no longer has the mindset for the other forms of the game. One of the most overrated batsmen of recent times.

I hope the Kiwis play up to their abilities and make it a contest. Could be interesting if they do but I still favour England to win.

Carey looks a great find and I’ve been impressed with him this World Cup.

While trying not to think too far ahead I do think yesterday showed just why Australia have struggled in England over the past few series with the swing and more importantly, seam on offer. They are also continuing to use last years Duke ball with its more pronounced seam, England are going to ask all sorts of questions to the Aussie top order in the Ashes.

The most bizarre and epic game I’ve ever watched. Very harsh on New Zealand, but an amazing win for England, never at any stage did I feel like they were going to win that game.

A fantastic achievement by Morgan and the team. Laughing stock in the last World Cup, now best in the world over the past 4 years, culminating in the World Cup win on home soil.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
The most bizarre and epic game I’ve ever watched. Very harsh on New Zealand, but an amazing win for England, never at any stage did I feel like they were going to win that game.

A fantastic achievement by Morgan and the team. Laughing stock in the last World Cup, now best in the world over the past 4 years, culminating in the World Cup win on home soil.

Apart from Stokes and Butler pressure got to the English batsmen, particularly Root or would normally look for a single but seemed to want to play big shots that were not on.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Then to be skittled out before lunch by Ireland.

Could this team *BE* any more British ?
Highest highs and lowest lows

Crazy, the test performances have been unpredictable over the past few years (completely opposite to the one-day side) but this was a big failure.

It still feels strange having to reset and play test cricket just 10 days after a World Cup final, but needs must with the Ashes starting next week.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Good fight back by Smith in the First Test. Handy batting by Siddle as well. Not a good day for the umpires.

Quality knock by Smith to save the Aussies skin, in hindsight it looks even better now, without it England would probably have half an eye on an innings win. I agree about the umpires and it didn’t get much better today.

Good to see England show some application, I can’t remember the last time we only lost 4 wickets in a day. Of all the people I thought may get a century, Burns wouldn’t have been anywhere near the top of my list. His innings today reminded me a lot of Alistair Cook.

Pricey_sky said:
movingtarget said:
Good fight back by Smith in the First Test. Handy batting by Siddle as well. Not a good day for the umpires.

Quality knock by Smith to save the Aussies skin, in hindsight it looks even better now, without it England would probably have half an eye on an innings win. I agree about the umpires and it didn’t get much better today.

Good to see England show some application, I can’t remember the last time we only lost 4 wickets in a day. Of all the people I thought may get a century, Burns wouldn’t have been anywhere near the top of my list. His innings today reminded me a lot of Alistair Cook.

Burns showed some pluck. Aussies made a comeback with a few quick wickets but England are well poised especially if Stokes can get some quick runs. Pattinson bowling Root only to see the bails stay on was a stroke of luck but it's not as if it hasn't happened before !

TRENDING THREADS