• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haddin has nothing which resembles a proper batting technique. He plays the types of shots he got out to in both innings here every time he's at the crease. Some times they come out of the middle, or he gets a bit of luck and he goes great. Other times he might just scratch around for a bit and not have any real impact either way. This test he went early both occasions, and he's a bit more exposed given that people are looking to blame someone (or everyone).

Wade and Paine are no worse than Haddin in both disciplines (I'd argue they are better), and both are the right side of 30.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
It's a good time to bring this out-

Q: What do you call a world-class Australian cricketer?
A: Retired.

Q: What do you call an Australian who can hold a catch?
A: A fisherman.

Q: What do you call an Australian with a bottle of champagne?
A: A waiter.

Q: What is the main function of the Australian coach?
A: To transport the team from the hotel to the ground.

Q: Where do Australian batsmen play their best cricket?
A: In advertisements.

Q: Why don’t Australian fielders need travel injections?
A: Because they never catch anything.

Haha :D

What a bizarre match. Can't be many occasions where a team has been bowled out for under 100 in the first innings and gone on to win so convincingly. Amla and Smith showed what could be done with a bit of application. The Australian top order really need to look at their technique against the moving ball - been skittled for under 100 3 times in the last 18 months by ****stan, England, and now SA, all due to high class swing bowling (it's not just Australian batsmen who are culpable, it's a failing of the modern game).

It's a shame that this 'series' is only 2 matches. For two such pre-eminent cricketing nations, it should have been 3 at least.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Dancing On The Pedals said:
What a bizarre match. Can't be many occasions where a team has been bowled out for under 100 in the first innings and gone on to win so convincingly. Amla and Smith showed what could be done with a bit of application.

It's happened 6 times but only 5 times have teams been all out (excluding 0/0 dec for obvious reasons)

Here's the total list
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;innings_number=1;innings_number=2;orderby=team_score;result=1;runsmax1=99;runsval1=runs;template=results;toss=1;type=team;view=innings

Don't forget what Clarke did in the first innings, that was the best innings as today the pitch seemed to have eased up a bit.
Crazy match.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
It's weird, South Africa and Australia is a two Test series, but next year (from Feb - March), South Africa tour New Zealand and it will be a three Test series. I can't see that series being anything other than 3-0 to the South Africans in the Tests.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
From now on I give you the Michael Clarke facepalm:

138994.jpg

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I feel sorry for Clarke, he was head and shoulders above everyone else in the match as a batsman. Amla and Smith scored 100s on a much more sedate pitch than Clarke's (which I'd rate comfortably higher than his Lord's hundred and that was a special innings).

I think the management has to take a stance like Strauss and Flower did after their 51 all out against West Indies. It's the nadir, nothing can be worse than 9/21, and the best thing to do would just be to look ahead.

Mark Waugh and more importantly Damien Martyn have lashed out at Australia's batting (the latter specifically at Haddin).

Elsewhere, Pakistan cruise to victory over Sri Lanka by 8 wickets.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Truly sad day for cricket.
One of the great minds and writers of the game. Controversial as a captain and controversies as a cricket writer but he was one of the best at what he did. A fantastic writer, a Wisden Cricketer of the year ('88) and a hardy (if not sometimes foolhardy) character who could alienate Richards and Botham. The next time I trawl through the Sydney Morning Herald, his absence will definitely be felt. A great loss for cricket journalism specifically and cricket in general.
RIP Peter Roebuck.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, he was one of the few unbiased and most intelligent writers in the sport. Unlike most other sports cricket has cherished the prose writers (mainly because of the length of the sport) about it almost as much as the players themselves. There's a long history of great writers starting right from Neville Cardus to Jack Fingleton (who made as big a name for himself with his prose as with his cricket). In the modern era, Roebuck wouldn't have shamed himself standing among such luminaries in cricket's journalistic world.

Sad to hear that he committed suicide.

I've always thought Katich is an Excellent opening batsman seems a shame that he isn't in the team just because of a dislike for Clarke. I don't know much about Clarke as a person or his media profile in Australia but he does seem to rub a lot of people up the wrong way.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
I've always thought Katich is an Excellent opening batsman seems a shame that he isn't in the team just because of a dislike for Clarke. I don't know much about Clarke as a person or his media profile in Australia but he does seem to rub a lot of people up the wrong way.

I posted this earlier in the thread, he left in the middle of a tour (to New Zealand) to try and save his marriage with a superstar, who (as it turned out) was gallivanting with other celeb sportsmen (Brendan Favola). Ever since that time, he's suffered a lot from the media. He also acted a bit 'posh' by not singing 'Under the Southern Cross' (the Australian team song) and trying to be with Lara Bingle, which led to the bust up with Katich. About Matthews criticising Symonds, I have no problem with that. Symonds' discipline is well known to be doubtful (he was inebriated when Bangladesh beat Australia in Cardiff in 2005)

As a captain, he's tactically pretty good and unusually attacking in the ODIs. In tests, his captaincy hasn't really been tested as Australia were awful in Sydney and Cape Town while in Sri Lanka he did a pretty decent job in 2 tests and one was a road.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
They really should start earlier at Kolkatta. It's 2:45 local time and the light already pretty poor.

All 3 wickets to fall came from rubbish balls and Bishoo has been too short generally. Dravid playing brilliantly.

Edit: 36th century in Tests for Dravid.

TRENDING THREADS