• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2012 stage 3, 167 km Givors → La Clayette

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Swede1 said:
I think ill go with matthews just because there don't seem to be many top sprinters in this race. The best sprinters are probably ebh, degenkolb, matthews, and howard (maybe ciolek). EBH would be the obvious choice except that he seems to not care about even trying in the sprints.
For me it seems it's the other way around. All Sky riders are told to work 100% for Wiggins. No joking around and getting lousy stage wins.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
This stage looks a bit easier to control than yesterday. One could hope that EBH is relieved from pulling the peloton today, but probably not as Sky doesn't seem to care about stage wins.

taiwan said:
To be clear, in California he was beaten by both of them.

Understand that but form is a relative word and in context. For Howard this means that coming from the World Cup on track where he had excellent speed but very little road racing to one race pre California Tour, he was going very well to be up very close to those two, who have had plenty of racing. I think he would have had a real crack at them in the final stage in California but instead did the lead out for Robbie McEwan's final race, which didn't pan out but good on him for doing that.

On top of California he had a very good prologue here and then was a bit stiff to miss the final group when he punctured 5km from the base of the final climb in Stage 1.

Who is favourite in this stage may be related to what type of finish it is and who will have team mates helping in the last 5kms. Durbridge or Meyer would seem to be the best lead out men for Howard but not sure if they will be getting Turbo to go easy in prep for the Time Trial tomorrow.

greenedge said:
I think if Sky let EBH go FTW he will win. Otherwise i shall say Ciolek to beat Bozic and Degenkolb. The sprinters teams will be desperate to win.
Would be illogical if they let him go for the win here and not on stage 1, which suited him so much more. But I guess logic is not Sky's speciality, so we'll see. But I doubt he'll win anyway, because he certainly won't be getting any leadout.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
Understand that but form is a relative word and in context. For Howard this means that coming from the World Cup on track where he had excellent speed but very little road racing to one race pre California Tour, he was going very well to be up very close to those two, who have had plenty of racing. I think he would have had a real crack at them in the final stage in California but instead did the lead out for Robbie McEwan's final race, which didn't pan out but good on him for doing that.

On top of California he had a very good prologue here and then was a bit stiff to miss the final group when he punctured 5km from the base of the final climb in Stage 1.

Who is favourite in this stage may be related to what type of finish it is and who will have team mates helping in the last 5kms. Durbridge or Meyer would seem to be the best lead out men for Howard but not sure if they will be getting Turbo to go easy in prep for the Time Trial tomorrow.

Yeah OK if you just mean placing in California was an indication that he's fit for road racing. Thought you were implying that he was at the level of those two in that race. Probably Boonen came out third best.

maltiv said:
Would be illogical if they let him go for the win here and not on stage 1, which suited him so much more. But I guess logic is not Sky's speciality, so we'll see. But I doubt he'll win anyway, because he certainly won't be getting any leadout.

True. I remember a reasonably significant one day race back in April I think it was. Paris... something or other. Anyway, to cut a long story short, what happened was that they had two strong guys working on the front for a protected rider in the key part of the race. You'll never guess what happened next. The guy who hadn't stuck his nose into the wind for the entire day then proceeded to completely collapse and finish nearly 8 minutes down on the winner's time whilst one of the guy's who'd been working for him still managed to finish 8th! Can you believe that? The idiots!

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
A typical sign of insecurity. He's up there with Cav.

In the post race interview he talks about showing respect for the jersey and defending it.

But why believe words that come from his mouth when there is made up stuff from amateur psychologists on the Internet?

I guess that is less fun and might not conform with our prejudice and preconceptions :rolleyes:

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Degenkolb doesn't really have the acceleration to ever be a certainty in a sprint.

He looked good in dunkirk. And he is certainly the strongest here.
However the french like gallopin and bouhanni could win too.
Gallopin is doing well for the struggling RSNT.

Wilba60 said:

I think it would be Meyer ( they were Madison partners )- though i do know they do not lead each other out in that.

roundabout said:
No way. According to our resident mountain stage expert Sunday's stage is far too difficult for riders like Gallopin.
Possibly, he meant Sunday was the day he would win the young rider's jersey. It's not clear what he meant except that he clearly didn't think he had a chance today as the course was not hilly enough to get rid of the pure sprinters.

Letour.fr ticker says:

"Time trial world champion has sustained a crash, apparently with no consequence. He has made his way back into the peloton."

So, hopefully, no drama.

After yesterdays schemozzle with the false report of Samu retiring from the race, I refuse to look at the Yahoo ticker.