• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré vs Monument

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which race do you rather win?

• A random Monument

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
BigMac said:
Bizarre.

I always thought Tour de Suisse was rated above P-N and Dauphiné through common sence. My life clearly is a lie.

I'd chose Dauphiné over San Remo by the way. It never charmed me as the others.

Haha, I think exactly the opposite. I see Tour de Suisse as below Paris-Nice , Dauphiné and Terrino-Adriatico.

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
To me a race depends on the competition, some 1 week stages have better riders than the Giro and Vuelta has. A monument always has the very best riders for the par course it is raced on. Just GC riders get more fame.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
GoodTimes said:
Derp.

I got a better one... who do you think would win: a grizzly bear or a pair of lions.

That's an interesting one. I think a pair of lions riding a tandem would win from a grizzly bear riding an ordinary bike, but I can't say I'm sure.

When it comes to the original question: I'd rate PR and RVV over any GT, in general (and the only race I really won't miss watching is PR), so that gives an easy so to this question. When it comes to specific monuments, it might get more interesting, though. I'm pretty sure I prefer the Dauphiné over Paris-Tours or most editions of MSR.

Adam.S said:
To me a race depends on the competition, some 1 week stages have better riders than the Giro and Vuelta has. A monument always has the very best riders for the par course it is raced on. Just GC riders get more fame.

The field is only half of it though. It's about the field competing for victory vs. the field getting base miles. The Tour Down Under draws some pretty good fields, but until the last couple of years it was a training ride with WT points.

Until this year, too, it seemed the ASO was absolutely determined to make the CdD a Tour recce with WT points, so you'd get almost all the Tour's contenders, but next to nobody peaking.

The 9 most important races in the world are the 3 GTs, the 5 monuments and the WC RR. We can debate the order all we like (I think Lombardia is getting a bad rep at the moment, though I do admit the current route lacks a lot of the charm of the previous iteration, and I find Milan-San Remo to be less than enthralling much of the time) but the least prestigious monument is still way more important than the most prestigious non-monument one-day race except maybe the Worlds.

TANK91 said:
What would you class as better 5 Paris Roubaix's or 1 of each?.

The second option and its not even close.

1 of each monument is the greatest thing anyone can ever possibly achieve in cycling.

Nothing else comes close unless you start increasing the quantity drastically (eg if you say 15 gt's or 10 straight TDF's).

Seriously, anyone who wins 5 monuments, and they are one of each, will go down as the greatest cyclist of 10 generations.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The second option and its not even close.

1 of each monument is the greatest thing anyone can ever possibly achieve in cycling.

Nothing else comes close unless you start increasing the quantity drastically (eg if you say 15 gt's or 10 straight TDF's).

Seriously, anyone who wins 5 monuments, and they are one of each, will go down as the greatest cyclist of 10 generations.

I agree as anyone ever done 5 before? I always though of this era Sagan is the 1 who can do it but i cant ever see him winning LBL.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dauphine's just some lame warm up race to the Tour, it's a good race to win, but it's a dime a dozen.

A monument on the other hand, a historic one day race with such great history to have earn the title of monument, winning that is something special.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally I think the World Tour should be reduced to the 5 Monuments, and 3 GTs so that clearly states my opinion on week long stage races vs Monuments.

karlboss said:
Personally I think the World Tour should be reduced to the 5 Monuments, and 3 GTs so that clearly states my opinion on week long stage races vs Monuments.

I'd be happy with the old World Cup 1 day races, the three GT's and P-N, Pais Vasco, Suisse and Romandie being the WT and greatly increase the number of HC races.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I'd be happy with the old World Cup 1 day races, the three GT's and P-N, Pais Vasco, Suisse and Romandie being the WT and greatly increase the number of HC races.

I might extend to former world cup, but not the one week stage races, they no longer hold as much value as stand alone events. Straight after Paris Nice and Pais Vasco people were talking about what it meant for the classics and after Tirreno and Romandie people were talking about what that meant for the Tour. So I'd stick to a Classics world cup and the 3 GTs.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What's with the Lombardia hate on here:confused:

Because, you know...it's in autumn.And you know that once it's over you'll have 5 full months of freakin' Plushenko and Flying Mustache or Batman or what's his name.

Rechtschreibfehler said:
Let's say anyone who wins all 5 monuments twice. ;)

I myself do rate Hinault's palmarès over de Vlaeminck's and van Looy's for example.

Also has any of the Lombardi hates ever looked up who won that race? :cool:

Who's going to disagree there? Unless you count the 2011 Giro, Hinault is the only rider to win all 3 GT's more than once. Add in his monument wins and his palmares is second only to Merckx.

TRENDING THREADS