• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 08/12 > 08/16/20

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which rider will surprise the most?

• Sepp Kuss

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Enric Mas

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Sergio Higuita

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Adam Yates

• Dylan Teuns

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Benoît Cosnefroy

• Guillaume Martin

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • other, French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, non-French

Votes: 11 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pogacar after the stage:
"Today I struggled with the heat. I probably should have drank a bit more. I didn't have the legs on the final climb and struggled a bit to find my rhythm.”
”I recovered towards the end and managed to not lose too much time. It will be a hard week but I'm confident I'll find my rhythm."

EfUag6EWoAIeWvS

Alaphillipe is a fighter. He will go as far as he can, for as long as he can, if he finds himself in Yellow again. Not that he specifically will target it or change his training to actually try and win the Tour. Or any GT. It wont be a sole goal of his season. He rides to win every race he competes in. Or at least try to.

He just rides with panache. Should be evidently clear at this point.

And he was just 2nd at MSR, so Im sure he wont give up putting in those efforts anytime soon and start focusing on GTs.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Roglic might have the same issue that he had at the Giro last year. But the big difference this year is his team. That would make a big difference. His team will help him save energy for the third week. He will be in better position.

I have a question, did Roglic train outside during the lockdown?
what exectly has Roglic done to be "to hot" right now; all he does is outsprint Bernal

I think this year Ineos and especially Jumbo Visma will be too strong for Alaphilippe and even for Pinot. Really think it will be between Roglic and Bernal, with Roglic as the favorite if his form doesn't tail off... I am Dutch so hope for Dumoulin, but he's not at Roglic's level at this moment.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Alaphilippe is overrated as a climber. Whoever, after last years tirreno and the 2018 wc, thinks he is a good climber, is wrong (imo). Last years tour was an anomaly. Yes, he can win the first mountain stage in a range from a break, but his limits as a top contender are somewhere around 200m elevation gain climbs.
But i like him a lot as a rider.
The thing is - with last Tour going really well GC wise, he of course wants to prove it and he even changed his training accordingly. But this will leave him at average climber level and may even strip a bit from his strengths. I hope he gets that after this year.

• Wow
Bernal doesn’t look as good as last year to me, I think he mightn’t podium TDF. And yes, I know there’s still a way to go but that’s what I think - the field this year is so, so stacked
He can still podium for sure. His team is still a great advantage over riders like Landa, Quintana, and Pinot who could prove a threat to the podium.

He dropped to the back of the Peleton, tried to move up but didn't have it and then called it a day. He'll need to perform over the next few days to get his tour place.
I think French people can really put their hopes into the Pinot basket, that would be reasonable and can be fun (also emotional and consuming...) and let Alaphilippe do his thing (whatever that may be, but if I was him I would lose a lot of time on stage 2 and then go for stages).
was there an argument? Or just Pinot with an “eye of the tiger” glare? View: https://twitter.com/groupamafdj/status/1293985673033191425?s=21

Reactions: Jspear
Bernal doesn’t look as good as last year to me, I think he mightn’t podium TDF. And yes, I know there’s still a way to go but that’s what I think - the field this year is so, so stacked

Are we overestimating Bernal a bit maybe? What he has shown today and at the Tour De l'Ain was resembling most of his high mountain performances at the Tour last year. It wasn't like he was head and shoulders above everyone else. He attacked at an opportune time during that downhill finish stage to Valloire and gained some seconds, then it was that shortened stage, where he went deeper than the rest of the main contenders, who were led by Laurens de Plus. The entire rest of the race he pretty much did what he did today or at the last l'Ain-Stage.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Are we overestimating Bernal a bit maybe? What he has shown today and at the Tour De l'Ain was resembling most of his high mountain performances at the Tour last year. It wasn't like he was head and shoulders above everyone else. He attacked at an opportune time during that downhill finish stage to Valloire and gained some seconds, then it was that shortened stage, where he went deeper than the rest of the main contenders, who were led by Laurens de Plus. The entire rest of the race he pretty much did what he did today or at the last l'Ain-Stage.
I think the Tignes situation was sort of forgiven, as Bernal was the favourite heading into the Tour anyway. But that disguises the fact that he was lucky. Now this year we're expecting him to be stronger again. It's hard to look past a 23-year old reigning champion, regardless of how he actually performed.

Well, I'm sure that's not the only reason for TJV's success, but if it became clear that the riders not under strict lockdown had a significant advantage at the Tour after all, that would be annoying to see. I hope it's just a momentary impression.

Not only do I think this is accurate right now, I think many riders more or less expected this. You also have a few riders who live in countries that were fully locked down that didn't do nearly as much time on trainers or rollers as others even in the same circumstances for various reasons. Remember both Sagan and Valverde have stated they hate rollers and trainers. Valverde also said that through the entire lock down in Spain he only was doing just enough to hold an off season base level.
Also there are riders who just need racing to actually build form. They have a harder time doing that with just training.
At least right now there is definitely two pelotons. One where the riders where able to train outside the entire time and the second of the riders who basically spent about 2 months locked in their homes.

Are we underestimating Bernal a bit? He was probably the best climber in last years Tour and is currently the one who comes Roglic the closest in the preperation races. He has a super strong team and without a doubt Ineos will again improve towards the Tour. So why would he be not a favourite for the win? Because he lost 10s today?

I don't care much about how good a climber Alaphilippe is (probably underrated rather than overrated) but I do know that he is good enough to finish 5th in the Tour without basing his whole season around finishing 5th in the Tour. He's proven to be a better GT GC rider than most without even trying to be that
Which in my opinion gave him the opportunity to finish so high. Gained in the hilly stages, gained in the TT, defended in the mountains. As a GC rider he will be more conservative and I am almost certain he will not be top 10 this year.

I think the Tignes situation was sort of forgiven, as Bernal was the favourite heading into the Tour anyway. But that disguises the fact that he was lucky. Now this year we're expecting him to be stronger again. It's hard to look past a 23-year old reigning champion, regardless of how he actually performed.
Tibos health was where he got lucky rather than the shortened stage

TRENDING THREADS