• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4 - 11

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
they do, and I dont understand why they dont use them more to avoid these kinds of problems (though for the cameraman it might become a bit more motion sickness inducing as what youre looking at is then out of sync with what youre feeling on the bike), but you could see the rail of the back of the motorbike in some of it, so it wasnt zoomed in much at all.

I kind of wondered when Herregodts came pass whether the motor rider had been told you're having to much impact pull back by race control, but by then the damage had been done
Instead of trying to minimise drafting, I think the motos would play a more neutral role if there both was one in front of the break and another in front of the peloton.

Did I just imagine some comments earlier equating stage 1 of the Dauphiné today with the Roglič/Mäder Paris-Nice 2021 incident?

Oh boy. Rog was GC leader going for the stage + bonus seconds. The stage was his to win.

Meanwhile what happened today was Rune Heeregots found himself caught in the crossfire of Jumbo Visma's "let's give Laporte a win!" routine. Bad luck aka he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All riders in the peloton need to know Laporte will get the win, one way or another. Even if it means Vingegaard busting a gut doing a lead out to get his French team leader a WT win on home soil.

Did I just imagine some comments earlier equating stage 1 of the Dauphiné today with the Roglič/Mäder Paris-Nice 2021 incident?

Oh boy. Rog was GC leader going for the stage + bonus seconds. The stage was his to win.

Meanwhile what happened today was Rune Heeregots found himself caught in the crossfire of Jumbo Visma's "let's give Laporte a win!" routine. Bad luck aka he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All riders in the peloton need to know Laporte will get the win, one way or another. Even if it means Vingegaard busting a gut doing a lead out to get his French team leader a WT win on home soil.
If Laporte can keep this up for a few more years... he might end up with a pretty good palmares in the end.

In other sports they sometimes talk about players that are good in a "system". They have a role that they play well, surrounded by great teammates who makes things easier. Of course, they are not "bad" players but they probably wouldnt be as successful being the leader/star player somewhere else. They are talented/good, but there sort of is a limit to what they can do on their own.

Im not saying this to knock Laporte... he has found the best place to get as much out of his career as he can and delivers, so far, when given an opportunity to shine.

If Laporte can keep this up for a few more years... he might end up with a pretty good palmares in the end.

In other sports they sometimes talk about players that are good in a "system". They have a role that they play well, surrounded by great teammates who makes things easier. Of course, they are not "bad" players but they probably wouldnt be as successful being the leader/star player somewhere else. They are talented/good, but there sort of is a limit to what they can do on their own.

Im not saying this to knock Laporte... he has found the best place to get as much out of his career as he can and delivers, so far, when given an opportunity to shine.

I think the Laporte charity wins at Jumbo have become a little bit too corporate & forced tbh.

This was the third in 15 months. There's no way Laporte wins today without Vingegaard doing an insane pull (I call it 'insane' because there's always a risk involved for a GC leader doing that sort of stuff).

I mean yeah yeah well done etc. etc. pats on backs all around but Laporte is no scrub, i.e. he's a very good rider who doesn't need people to feel good for him when he wins after he's been given a gift or something. I basically find the "let's all make sure Laporte wins stuff!" routine at Jumbo a bit stale now, especially when he collects the first leader's jersey as well (conveniently on French soil).

With the sort of power they have in their legs right now they should give Benoot or Van Baarle a chance next time.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You treat this as it's some small race. Its Dauphine, for crying out loud. Winning a stage here means a lot Laporte, and you obviously race to win. Otherwise its pretty pointless.

Good on Vingegaard. Pulling here means nothing, good training, and he got his teammate a great win.

I think the Laporte charity wins at Jumbo have become a little bit too corporate & forced tbh.

This was the third in 15 months. There's no way Laporte wins today without Vingegaard doing an insane pull (I call it 'insane' because there's always a risk involved for a GC leader doing that sort of stuff).

I mean yeah yeah well done etc. etc. pats on backs all around but Laporte is no scrub, i.e. he's a very good rider who doesn't need people to feel good for him when he wins after he's been given a gift or something. I basically find the "let's all make sure Laporte wins stuff!" routine at Jumbo a bit stale now, especially when he collects the first leader's jersey as well (conveniently on French soil).

With the sort of power they have in their legs right now they should give Benoot or Van Baarle a chance next time.
So you think they shouldn‘t ride for Laporte as a sprinter because? I don‘t think there‘s any real risk as a leadout for Vingegaard that is bigger than the risk attributed to sitting in the bunch. And no, they can‘t just let Van Baarle or Benoot win because they would have to make it hard for Benoot to win and there would still be better riders who would beat him. You could send Van Baarle in the break but it‘s more of a long shot than just bringing the break back for the fastest sprinter left. Or is it just because you find GC so important that Jumbo shouldn’t do anything that isn‘t a GC move?

In a tricky final 3km it's actually very safe for Vingegaard to just pull on the front. Aside from that, his TdF and now Dauphine stage win were just restults of being the strongest in the peloton at that time. Paris Nice was also a very logical gift to give.

Pogacar was also giving Majka stages in Slovenia.

In a tricky final 3km it's actually very safe for Vingegaard to just pull on the front. Aside from that, his TdF and now Dauphine stage win were just restults of being the strongest in the peloton at that time. Paris Nice was also a very logical gift to give.

Pogacar was also giving Majka stages in Slovenia.

I think GW must be one of the three Rackham was referring to. I wonder which one he doesn't count (I hope the Tour stage)

You cannot compare this win to the gifts from WvA. This was a standard case of a team setting up a sprint for the best sprinter in their team.

You cannot compare this win to the gifts from WvA. This was a standard case of a team setting up a sprint for the best sprinter in their team.

It was a gift. Simply because it required the best rider in the race (Vingegaard) to work on the front to make it happen. This is the 3rd for Laporte, after Paris-Nice 2022 & GW.

FYI Benoot & Van Baarle are also perfectly capable of stage hunting but the objective here was pretty clear: Laporte gets the stage & the jersey.

People are free to think it's cool, I happen to think it's a little bit overkill from a team which will win GC with Vingegaard in this race.

It was a gift. Simply because it required the best rider in the race (Vingegaard) to work on the front to make it happen. This is the 3rd for Laporte, after Paris-Nice 2022 & GW.

FYI Benoot & Van Baarle are also perfectly capable of stage hunting but the objective here was pretty clear: Laporte gets the stage & the jersey.

People are free to think it's cool, I happen to think it's a little bit overkill from a team which will win GC with Vingegaard in this race.

By that logic consider also his TdF stage as a gift, because WVA and team chose to ride for Laporte instead of trying another stage win with Wout.

So what if it is a gift. I helps with 3 things:

1- Help to build your fitness and your tune up for the Tour
2- It shows that they are a great team with great team bonding.
3- It is only common sense, if Laporte goes to the Tour, that he will either return a favor or just bury himself a bit harder for Vingegaard.

I don't think there is anything to see here from this tactics.

By that logic consider also his TdF stage as a gift, because WVA and team chose to ride for Laporte instead of trying another stage win with Wout.

Nope, this is what a cadeau looks like:

View: https://twitter.com/LanterneRougeYT/status/1665372297148915713

So what if it is a gift. I helps with 3 things:

1- Help to build your fitness and your tune up for the Tour
2- It shows that they are a great team with great team bonding.
3- It is only common sense, if Laporte goes to the Tour, that he will either return a favor or just bury himself a bit harder for Vingegaard.

I don't think there is anything to see here from this tactics.

Does it? I'm sorry to be the ultra cinic here but what I saw was a team desperate to get a stage win for a Frenchman on French soil. A real team bonding exercise could have been launching Benoot or Van Baarle over the final KOM & forcing other teams to chase. At that point Laporte could sit on the wheels & do the rest himself if there's a bunch sprint.

I only take issue with getting the GC favorite (& current TdF champ) to do that sort of mega pull for Laporte. Doing it for WvA is one thing (even then I vehemently disagreed with the team's repeated attempts to get him a stage win in the Dauphiné last year), but this is on a whole new level.

A lot of people on here really need to learn not to feed the troll...

:rolleyes:

• Haha

Overkill is good actually.

I find it somewhat similar to the stage Thomas won when Porte won the overall. As Bruyneel would say: We Might As Well Win.

TRENDING THREADS