• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2024, June 2 - 9

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, in Dauphiné he was even so much a wheelsucker that he forgot to ride past Froome when the finish line arrived.

I don't think he could do anything but to follow Froome there, dude...
Jokes apart, they looked really strong, a shame we could not see a proper fight in the Tour, between them and Nibali. In the Vuelta we couldn't also see a proper fight between contador and Froome with the two in top shape during all race.

Andrew f*cking Talansky man. That was such a great stage. It's honestly weird how the Dauphine usually seems like the prep race with all the protagonists for the Tour, yet every second year someone who plays no role at the Tour wins it. Talansky, Fuglsang twice, Martinez. Even Roglic and Porte where nowhere in the Tour (for different reasons) the year they won it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Andrew f*cking Talansky man. That was such a great stage. It's honestly weird how the Dauphine usually seems like the prep race with all the protagonists for the Tour, yet every second year someone who plays no role at the Tour wins it. Talansky, Fuglsang twice, Martinez. Even Roglic and Porte where nowhere in the Tour (for different reasons) the year they won it.

Yeah, it's all or nothing. Either the winner is nowhere in the Tour, or he wins the Tour.

2023 - Vingegaard wins both
2022 - Roglic crashes out of the Tour
2021 - Porte doesn't ride GC in the Tour
2020 - Martínez doesn't ride GC in the Tour
2019 - Fuglsang crashes out of the Tour
2018 - G wins both
2017 - Fuglsang crashes out of the Tour
2016 - Froome wins both
2015 - Froome wins both
2014 - Talansky doesn't ride GC in the Tour
2013 - Froome wins both
2012 - Wiggins wins both
2011 - Wiggins crashes out of the Tour
2010 - Brajkovic doesn't ride GC in the Tour
2009 - Valverde doesn't ride the Tour
2008 - Valverde starts strongly in the Tour but finishes in 8th - the last time a rider finishes in placings 2-10 of the Tour after winning Dauphiné. What a stat.

Yeah, it's all or nothing. Either the winner is nowhere in the Tour, or he wins the Tour.

2018 - G wins both
2016 - Froome wins both
2015 - Froome wins both
2013 - Froome wins both
2012 - Wiggins wins both
2008 - Valverde starts strongly in the Tour but finishes in 8th - the last time a rider finishes in placings 2-10 of the Tour after winning Dauphiné. What a stat.

I just checked further back. The last rider before Valverde was Charly Mottet in 1989!

Induráin won in 1995 and Armstrong in two of his seasons. Otherwise, it seemed like a bad idea to win the Dauphiné. There were even some riders who rode Tour de Suisse after the Dauphiné. That seems like a tough preparation for the Tour!

Are you ready?

uKjsLh7.gif

2018 - G wins both
2016 - Froome wins both
2015 - Froome wins both
2013 - Froome wins both
2012 - Wiggins wins both

Valv didnt ride the tour in 2008. Banned by Italy

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The 2019 fuglsang win was a disgrace. That race should be stripped from him and awarded as an honorary vivtory to marc padun for historic contributions to the crotuerum dubduapine

As a contributer to and connaisseur of spelling mistakes, I have to say crotuerum dubduapine is a strong highlight for me, and I hope it is for you as well.

Edit: I checked latin for crotuerum, and turns out that's not how you declinate croto.

Last edited:
I just checked further back. The last rider before Valverde was Charly Mottet in 1989!

Induráin won in 1995 and Armstrong in two of his seasons. Otherwise, it seemed like a bad idea to win the Dauphiné. There were even some riders who rode Tour de Suisse after the Dauphiné. That seems like a tough preparation for the Tour!

There used to be like 19 to 20 days between the Giro and the Tour at some point. Given Doubles where rather regular back than, I guess doing both the Dauphine and TdS seemed like proper preparation for some?

No, he got banned by Italy after they got his DNA during the Italian stage of the 2008 Tour. That's why he didn't race in 2009, because that year the Tour also went into Italy.

I don't even remember what they wanted him for cause I'm not sure if was Operacion Puerto or some other case.

It was Operación Puerto. The blood belonged to the same person as the bloodbags in the Piti bag or so THE EVIL ILLUMINATI WOULD HAVE US BELIEVE!!!!

Still buried him in La Vuelta though!
True, but they were both well below their CdD/Tour peak level. CdD uphill sprinting was fascinating display of power between them.

I think we can see quite equal battle this year - one guy somehow fatigued from fastest Giro in the history, the second one returns after serious injury. Roglic and Remco waiting to smoke these two if they have a chance.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
The 2019 fuglsang win was a disgrace. That race should be stripped from him and awarded as an honorary vivtory to marc padun for historic contributions to the crotuerum dubduapine
Wow normally I agree with your knowledgeable contributions to this forum but this post was a disgrace.
The 2019 edition was a beautiful one with a well deserved winner taking revenge on French soil after getting ROBBED by a Frenchman all year long (assisted by some Dutch Donkey in e.g. Amstel which was a real disgrace).

However I support giving Padun an honorary victory, I would just chose 2022 which was a Visma handholding shitshow.

Wow normally I agree with your knowledgeable contributions to this forum but this post was a disgrace.
The 2019 edition was a beautiful one with a well deserved winner taking revenge on French soil after getting ROBBED by a Frenchman all year long (assisted by some Dutch Donkey in e.g. Amstel which was a real disgrace).

I agree with Ilmaestro. Fuglsang should not have won in 2019!
He's clearly suffering from some sort of Dauphine - or should I say 'dubduapine'? - curse.

Reactions: QueenStagiaire