• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cuisine Corner

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Chicken sauteed with fresh Tomatoes, Onion, and Garlic. Spaghetti with Pesto. Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette. Garlic Bread
47448_10152174180010012_129225932_n.jpg

I guess this isn't actually cuisine to me that involves someone who actually know what they're doing...
But I kinda find it a bit amusing that, apart from the fact that I'm rather unhealthy, doesn't get enough vegs and such, my diet is pretty close to that of the pros; pasta and chicken! :D Sometimes with salmon instead of chicken, sometimes, if I'm feeling really optimistic, I attempt to boil rice.

Take today. My dinner consisted of chicken over which I poured half a can of shredded (?) tomatoes, + a portion of pasta over which I poured the other half of that can. Of course I added some spice and stuff...
Oh, and the stuff about not getting enough vegs, let me just say; I've never done something like this (a can of tomatoes) before... :eek:

Luckily for my eating-variation I frequently eat other places as well.

RedheadDane said:
I guess this isn't actually cuisine to me that involves someone who actually know what they're doing...
But I kinda find it a bit amusing that, apart from the fact that I'm rather unhealthy, doesn't get enough vegs and such, my diet is pretty close to that of the pros; pasta and chicken! :D Sometimes with salmon instead of chicken, sometimes, if I'm feeling really optimistic, I attempt to boil rice.

Take today. My dinner consisted of chicken over which I poured half a can of shredded (?) tomatoes, + a portion of pasta over which I poured the other half of that can. Of course I added some spice and stuff...
Oh, and the stuff about not getting enough vegs, let me just say; I've never done something like this (a can of tomatoes) before... :eek:

Luckily for my eating-variation I frequently eat other places as well.

BTW how do you cook pasta? Seems kind of a tricky thing with your skillset :D

SafeBet said:
BTW how do you cook pasta? Seems kind of a tricky thing with your skillset :D

Pasta is actually one of the few things I can do! :p
I fill a pot with water and when the water's boilling nice and hotly I add a boullion-block before putting in the pasta and lowering the heat. Then I just pretty much let it take care of itself until it's done. :D

Oh, and Krebs. You're supposed to put all of the pasta into the pot, don't let any of it stick out...

RedheadDane said:
Pasta is actually one of the few things I can do! :p
I fill a pot with water and when the water's boilling nice and hotly I add a boullion-block before putting in the pasta and lowering the heat. Then I just pretty much let it take care of itself until it's done. :D

Where did you take the boullion cube idea from?
It's slightly odd unless you prepare tortellini or ravioli, or some other kind of broth pasta.

Never argue about pasta with an Italian :D I've tried it.

SafeBet, do you also exactly measure the amount of time the pasta is boiling? I didn't do this the first time I had Italian housemates and they were so surprised and shocked I've never tried cooking pasta without a timer again :D

SafeBet said:
Where did you take the boullion cube idea from?
It's slightly odd unless you prepare tortellini or ravioli, or some other kind of broth pasta.

It helps give the pasta some flavor. The other thing I do is salt the water to the point the water is too salty to sip. Kosher salt in the U.S. is much preferred. American table salt is all wrong for cooking.

Canned pasta sauce is a crime. You'd be better off just burning the money.

As for canned, peeled tomatos, put them in a pan and simmer them down to sauce without much of the liquid from the can. Start it the same time as the water boiling. When you put the hard pasta in the water pot to cook, add salt, pepper and raw garlic. Plenty of garlic and a splash of olive oil to get the sauce to spread better. Add basil and whatever last and stir well before serving. San Marzano tomatos are preferred for their low moisture content.

This is not hard to do. You've got one pot boiling water and the other simmering tomatos and both are done at the same time.

RedheadDane said:
Just from my head!
I don't prepare anything with fancy Italian sounding names, it's food I don't give it names...

:eek:
Dear Dane, I guess we're better off talking about cycling :)

Arnout said:
SafeBet, do you also exactly measure the amount of time the pasta is boiling? I didn't do this the first time I had Italian housemates and they were so surprised and shocked I've never tried cooking pasta without a timer again :D

Ah, this is actually a discussed issue among italians themselves.
I've got friends who would never ever cook pasta without checking the clock.
But in my family, and in many others as well, we have the habit to just taste it every now and then until it's ready (and I mean italian ready, not the squashy thing people dare to call pasta in other countries).
Clearly, this requires having cooked pasta a few times and having an idea on when it's gonna be ready.

Oh and btw I don't eat much pasta myself, maybe once a week. I just find quirky to cook it in stock, though I know a few italians doing it.

DirtyWorks said:
It helps give the pasta some flavor. The other thing I do is salt the water to the point the water is too salty to sip. Kosher salt in the U.S. is much preferred. American table salt is all wrong for cooking.

Canned pasta sauce is a crime. You'd be better off just burning the money.

About the stock: if the pasta is good, and the sauce is good, you don't really need extra flavor. But I guess to each his own.
As for salt: we use coarse sea salt (which we actually call big salt :D )

SafeBet said:
:eek:
Dear Dane, I guess we're better off talking about cycling :)

Sure! :D As long as there are no fancy Italian names involves (And Giro d'Anything isn't a fancy Italian name, it's just the name...)

As for using a timer, I don't. I just sorta... frequently check to see if it's done. Also I'd rather give it a little too little than a little too much, mainly because of two reasons:

1: I'm kinda impatient and don't wanna wait for my food to be done!

2: I prefer my pasta al dente.

SafeBet said:
Ah, this is actually a discussed issue among italians themselves.
I've got friends who would never ever cook pasta without checking the clock.
But in my family, and in many others as well, we have the habit to just taste it every now and then until it's ready (and I mean italian ready, not the squashy thing people dare to call pasta in other countries).
Clearly, this requires having cooked pasta a few times and having an idea on when it's gonna be ready.

Oh and btw I don't eat much pasta myself, maybe once a week. I just find quirky to cook it in stock, though I know a few italians doing it.

About the stock: if the pasta is good, and the sauce is good, you don't really need extra flavor. But I guess to each his own.
As for salt: we use coarse sea salt (which we actually call big salt :D )

I think pasta is absolutely great. Cheap, easy and quick, and with different flavors it can be different every time. If it only takes ~15 minutes to prepare, I don't care if I have to do it every day.

And in my time in Italy, I indeed learned that the best way is the simple way. You guys just add one or two ingredients and off you go, while in the Netherlands you have to absolutely stuff your pizza or pasta with literally everything before it is taken seriously.