• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cuisine Corner

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
hey krebs,you are such a cook, and I believe you are mexican,so I want to ask you smth ;)

how about your mole? I know there are variations,and everybody (mexicans) has something else in it, so how about you? :) what chili peppers do you use, ingredients etc
(if its not secret ofc:cool:)

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
ILovecycling said:
hey krebs,you are such a cook, and I believe you are mexican,so I want to ask you smth ;)

how about your mole? I know there are variations,and everybody (mexicans) has something else in it, so how about you? :) what chili peppers do you use, ingredients etc
(if its not secret ofc:cool:)
There are the Seven Moles of Oaxaca. The mole negro being the one most are familiar with. I'm not a big fan of mole. If I do make it I buy a jar of Dona Marie Mole. What I would like to try is Manchamanteles (Stew That Stains the Tablecloth) There are many variations of it also

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...stains-the-tablecloth-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
There are the Seven Moles of Oaxaca. The mole negro being the one most are familiar with. I'm not a big fan of mole. If I do make it I buy a jar of Dona Marie Mole. What I would like to try is Manchamanteles (Stew That Stains the Tablecloth) There are many variations of it also

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...stains-the-tablecloth-recipe.html?oc=linkback
Thanks for the response, I really love mole, will try smth from this definitely :)

btw I would never buy one in jar :eek:

Mar 16, 2009
ILovecycling said:
Thanks for the response, I really love mole, will try smth from this definitely :)

btw I would never buy one in jar :eek:

The jarred mole is just a base. to grind all the ingredients in you molcajete can take several hours. think of it as like tomato paste not a final product.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
The jarred mole is just a base. to grind all the ingredients in you molcajete can take several hours. think of it as like tomato paste not a final product.
I do my own too,better :p:D
But I get it...and some of them are quite good :)

Mar 16, 2009
dona-maria-mole-235g-10327-p.jpg

Mar 16, 2009
This is way way good. I just tried it for the first time. tastes good at first but after it goes back in the freeze it's divine. can't wait to try some mix-ins.
Maybe like this I could eat 30 bananas a day :rolleyes:

creamy ice cream made with just one ingredient
Banana-42.jpg

One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream

Makes 2 servings, about 1 cup
What You Need
Ingredients
1 large ripe banana

Equipment
Knife
Cutting board
Airtight, freezer-safe container
Small food processor
Spatula

Instructions
Start with ripe bananas: They should be sweet and soft.
Peel the bananas and cut them into coins: It doesn't matter what shape or size the pieces are in, as long as they are chopped up into evenly-sized and somewhat small pieces.
Put the bananas in an airtight container: A freezer-safe glass bowl like this one is fine, or you can use a freezer bag.
Freeze the banana pieces for at least 2 hours: Freeze for at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight.
Blend the frozen banana pieces in a small food processor or powerful blender: Pulse the frozen banana pieces. We've found that a small food processor or chopper works best.
Keep blending — the banana will look crumbly: At first the banana pieces will look crumbled or smashed. Scrape down the food processor.
Keep blending — the banana will look gooey: Then it will look gooey, like banana mush. Scrape down the food processor.
Keep blending — the banana will look like oatmeal: It will get smoother but still have chunks of banana in it. Scrape down the food processor.
Watch the magic happen! Suddenly, as the last bits of banana smooth out, you'll see the mixture shift from blended banana to creamy, soft-serve ice cream texture. Blend for a few more seconds to aerate the ice cream. (If adding any mix-ins, like peanut butter or chocolate chips, this is the moment to do it.)
Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until solid: You can eat the ice cream immediately, but it will be quite soft. You can also transfer it back into the airtight container and freeze it until solid, like traditional ice cream.
Recipe Notes
Food processor vs. blender: We've found that a food processor works best for this, with enough room for the banana to get fully creamy and a little bit aerated. Some people do make it in a blender, but be careful; make sure your blender is powerful enough to process the frozen bananas.
Making a bigger batch: Yes, you can make a bigger batch with more than one banana! Just make sure your food processor is big enough (and powerful enough).
Mix-In Ideas
While the one-ingredient aspect of this ice cream is a big part of its charm, we don't think that loses much when it becomes two or even three ingredient ice cream. Here are a few favorite mix-ins to make it even more awesome.

Spoonful of peanut butter
Drizzle of honey
Handful of chocolate chips
A few almonds
Dollop of Nutella
Scoop of cookie butter
Tablespoon of cocoa powder
Half a teaspoon of cinnamon, cardamom, or ginger

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Tonight I made a broccoli-cream soup. Just sauté some onions in olive oil, then cook them together with chopped broccoli and potatoes, mix it all up, add cream and voilà. Also cook it with some vegetable broth. This is about the easiest way you can do it, afterwards you can add a lot of different ingredients to make it a little more refined.

I really like making soups, it's fast, easy, convenient, healthy, and you almost can't screw it up. So far I have made:

- "Vegetable soup" - Leaks, carrots, potatoes
- Broccoli-cream soup (see above)
- Broccoli-Cauliflower soup (that turned out really well, gotta look up the recipe again because I only made it once and it's been a while)
- Carrot-ginger soup (my sister makes that really well, when I made it I couldn't find real ginger so I had to use the powdered stuff, that didn't turn out quite so well)

What I want to try but haven't made yet: Tomato soup and mushroom soup. Has anyone made these? I figure you can make a lot of different mushroom soups, depending on what mushrooms you use. It also depends on the season. For tomato soup I'd have to try and find really good tomatoes, with the ones from the supermarket I'm afraid it's not going to have much of a taste.

What are some more soups you have made or can recommend? My sister also makes a pumpkin soup (with butternut and hokkaido), which is pretty good, and a kohlrabi soup. Asparagus soup is delicious, but I assume there you gotta know what you're doing. You get that at restaurants here sometimes, during the right season.

I am a soup fan :)

@la_flo: Making your own mayonaise is actually pretty easy, and tastes a lot better than most store-bought brands. My mom makes it every now and then. All she uses (as far as I know) is eggs, oil and mustard (granted, the mustard is store bought). Then I assume salt. The problem is that because of the raw eggs you have to eat it within a few days. But seriously, much better than store-bought.

Ketchup I have never tried to make.... sounds fun though

Mar 16, 2009
This is so good with some nice crusty bread

Minestrone
6 to 8 servings
Main Course

2oz. Salt Pork, diced
2tbls Olive Oil
2 med. Onions, chopped
5 med. Tomatoes, chopped coarse
6 cloves Garlic, chopped fine
4 Celery stalks, chopped
4 Carrots, peeled and chopped coarse
1 bunch of Spinach, stems removed
1 bunch of Kale, stems removed
1 small Cabbage, chopped rough
3 med. Potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
1 can of White Beans, with juice
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
½ cup dry White Wine
3 cups Chicken Stock
Water to cover
4oz. Rigatoni pasta

In a 8 qt. pot saute Salt Pork in Olive Oil till browned.
Add Onion and Garlic, saute till Onion is limp.
Add Tomatoes, cook till Tomatoes become saucsey
Add rest of ingredients, except Rigatoni
Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover, cook 2 hrs.
Add Rigatoni cook 20 mins or until tender

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
dude do you make your own mayonaise and ketchup too :p
actually...yes :D no kidding flo:):D

mayonaise is pretty easy, and fresh its legendary.as for ketchup,its great too (cuz its without freakin apples), but you need very good sweet tomatoes, and proper boiling,then its useable all year long.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
This is so good with some nice crusty bread

Minestrone
6 to 8 servings
Main Course

2oz. Salt Pork, diced
2tbls Olive Oil
2 med. Onions, chopped
5 med. Tomatoes, chopped coarse
6 cloves Garlic, chopped fine
4 Celery stalks, chopped
4 Carrots, peeled and chopped coarse
1 bunch of Spinach, stems removed
1 bunch of Kale, stems removed
1 small Cabbage, chopped rough
3 med. Potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
1 can of White Beans, with juice
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
½ cup dry White Wine
3 cups Chicken Stock
Water to cover
4oz. Rigatoni pasta

In a 8 qt. pot saute Salt Pork in Olive Oil till browned.
Add Onion and Garlic, saute till Onion is limp.
Add Tomatoes, cook till Tomatoes become saucsey
Add rest of ingredients, except Rigatoni
Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover, cook 2 hrs.
Add Rigatoni cook 20 mins or until tender
Like this soupe a lot,interesting that you add cabbage.
And you've got to have pretty good pasta when you cook it 20 mins.My best is about 15 :eek::)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
krebby slaying the cuisine south of the border :D

Florrie please..the word 'murican' makes me cringe..our whole country is not full of bumpkins ;)

perhaps you're too young to remember Floyd R. Turbo, Murican.

(click on the picture to watch)

Mar 16, 2009
With the power out yesterday afternoon I headed for the kitchen and whipped out a foccacia, coleslaw, and chocolate banana 2 ingredient ice cream. oh yeah I also grilled a steak.

15710142556_bb983710c6_c.jpg

I knew I could make this quick as hot as it was. The dough rose very quickly

15731936751_c6372b5925_c.jpg

It still was way hot in the kitchen. The original plan was to do some type of flat bread on the grill. This way afforded me the chance to clear the fridge of some bits and pieces.

15548668857_61bf1ca915_c.jpg

Since I started freezing my beef for a few weeks before cooking the flavor and tenderness are excellent.

15733851665_8739717241_b.jpg

1banana, 1tbsp. Nestle Quik. I am working diligently perfecting this making 2 servings a day till I get ripness correct. I going to try a banana caramel ripple, banana date, maybe banana toasted coconut. also may try some powdered milk and vanilla. pina colada !!

TRENDING THREADS