• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclocross Calendar 2011-12

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dancing On The Pedals said:
Just watched the koppenbergcross having never watched a race before, so hoped that the more knowledgeable forum members could answer some questions?

Was todays course unusual in that there was no running/steps etc?
What is the difference between Superprestige, GvA and the World Cup?
Is there much teamwork in a race normally (like on the road) or is it every man for himself?
Finally, does the ladies cx season mirror the mens exactly?

Thanks in advance (and apologies if this is lightly off topic)!

Was todays course unusual in that there was no running/steps etc?

Unusual inasmuch as most CX races have them. UCI rules require certain aspects of a parcours which (I believe) do not apply to this or any other GVA Trofee event.

What is the difference between Superprestige, GvA and the World Cup?

These are different series of events with different sponsors, different prizes, different television coverage and sometimes different applicable sets of rules.

Is there much teamwork in a race normally (like on the road) or is it every man for himself?

Rarely, because the number of riders who can sit on or near the front the whole time and then actually win at this level is quite small. That said, Dieter pulled for Niels today when the latter got stuck in the second group after a bad start. And sometimes a teammate further down a line of riders will let a gap go deliberately. People often forget, but the service point - the 'materiaalpost' - is also part of the essential teamwork. Technical issues can also be 'make or break' for a rider, as I believe it was today. Nys had a lot of bad luck with that last year.

Finally, does the ladies cx season mirror the mens exactly?

The ladies' events have less riders at the highest level, so there is probably as much of a stamina as a skills battle. The gaps at the finish tend to be bigger.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
I gave my response to the aforelast question on this thread: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=11247

So sorry I missed today's race. Hope there'll soon be a clip on YT. How was it? I completely forgot about it. :(

Kinda boring. Nys and Stybar made a mistake in changing bikes and Pauwels was gone. Albert sucked, probably because of his crash during a training ride earlier today. There was no mud, so the race wasn't really as hard as it normally is, so yeah. Zonhoven was better.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Kinda boring. Nys and Stybar made a mistake in changing bikes and Pauwels was gone. Albert sucked, probably because of his crash during a training ride earlier today. There was no mud, so the race wasn't really as hard as it normally is, so yeah. Zonhoven was better.

Did Stybar have a problem with his second bike? The commentators were saying something along those lines (I think, I know very little Flemish).

They were keeping up with Pauwels comfortably till they changed bike and he flew.

Echoes said:
So sorry I missed today's race. Hope there'll soon be a clip on YT. How was it? I completely forgot about it. :(

El Pistolero said:

ramjambunath said:
Did Stybar have a problem with his second bike? The commentators were saying something along those lines (I think, I know very little Flemish).

They were keeping up with Pauwels comfortably till they changed bike and he flew.

It wasn't boring at all. If you saw Nys' 2010 domination at Oudenaarde, that could have been described as boring. Both Stybar and Nys had bike problems and the rain in the second half made things a bit difficult for all the koplopers. There was no way, with the parcours being otherwise surprisingly dry with surfaces relatively intact, that Nys could have reeled in Pauwels, with or without Stybar's help. But it was a good race on the whole.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
It wasn't boring at all. If you saw Nys' 2010 domination at Oudenaarde, that could have been described as boring. Both Stybar and Nys had bike problems and the rain in the second half made things a bit difficult for all the koplopers. There was no way, with the parcours being otherwise surprisingly dry with surfaces relatively intact, that Nys could have reeled in Pauwels, with or without Stybar's help. But it was a good race on the whole.

Pretty entertaining race indeed, shame Nys flatted, would've been an awesome last 2 laps otherwise :)

also, how often do you see one of the top riders crash into a house :D

Some people are very busy during these holidays and don't have time to download. Fortunately I could watch the highlights in the News on BRT.

Thanks for the description. I usually enjoy hyper dominations while most others don't. So I guess if some people called it boring, it should've been enjoyable for me. :p

I remember the edition of 2 years ago which was astoundingly dry for the Kop' Cross and as a result 8 riders ahead in the final lap. I really found that one boring.

By the way, anyone from Brussels intends to go to Overijse on Dec 11? I ain't far from it and don't wanna miss it. :)

Echoes said:
Some people are very busy during these holidays and don't have time to download. Fortunately I could watch the highlights in the News on BRT.

Thanks for the description. I usually enjoy hyper dominations while most others don't. So I guess if some people called it boring, it should've been enjoyable for me. :p

I remember the edition of 2 years ago which was astoundingly dry for the Kop' Cross and as a result 8 riders ahead in the final lap. I really found that one boring.

By the way, anyone from Brussels intends to go to Overijse on Dec 11? I ain't far from it and don't wanna miss it. :)

Holidays? Not here and a download sort of takes care of itself ;)

I shall be organising a trip over to watch it next year :) Man, Belgium is ace!

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick question, apologies if it is a bit offtopic but I didn't think it was worth starting a new topic over.

Where do you guys find streams for these cyclocross races? Normally I'd watch them on Sporza, but currently I'm in England for a few months without access to Dutch/Belgian tv.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Greenflame said:
Just a quick question, apologies if it is a bit offtopic but I didn't think it was worth starting a new topic over.

Where do you guys find streams for these cyclocross races? Normally I'd watch them on Sporza, but currently I'm in England for a few months without access to Dutch/Belgian tv.

You should try sport-livez.com they stream one hell of a lot of sport games :)

I was going to go that one (the Druivencross) but I won't be here nowit seems. Great parcours though. I might be around for Tervuren later on - foresty with lots of difficult tree roots to negotiate! :)

Echoes said:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
I checked out that site - nothing but adds - perhaps it is unavailable in the USA :(

There is usually one 30 'second' ad which disappears after the countdown to reveal the racing livestream. Of course, you could be right about viewing in the US. Have you tried any of the soccer games? They seem to show just about every game being played in Europe!

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
avanti said:
I checked out that site - nothing but adds - perhaps it is unavailable in the USA :(

I don't think it has geographic restrictions, I can see all the races in India. They only show it live if I am correct. Ads are a bit irritating.

L'arriviste said:
I was going to go that one (the Druivencross) but I won't be here nowit seems. Great parcours though. I might be around for Tervuren later on - foresty with lots of difficult tree roots to negotiate! :)

Shame. Indeed one of the greatest courses though I preferred the one with the Tenotsberg like when KP won.

I don't know if I'm gonna be there Tervuren. I remember the route very well too. In the woods. I hope I can go to that one too.

Martin, I was not on holiday either, hence my post. And I don't have the Internet at home. Only at work. :p

Good race today. I've never watched cyclocross beforethis season, but I've now seen most races this year, and this one was the most exciting yet. I was rooting for Stybar, but Pauwels looked like the strongest throughout the race. Props to Stybar for gritting his teeth though.

Can't remember so well now but I seem to recall that Pauwels had a great patch of form last year around this time but he faded later in the season. He looks pretty untouchable compared to last year though.

The contrast between he and Stybar in the two-up finale yesterday was quite marked, I thought. Stybar was doing great but he was clearly labouring on the bike, while I felt that Pauwels would have had to do a bad foutje to lose at the end there. So when he 'did a Cancellara' coming out of the penultimate corner, it was pretty obvious it was over.

Great ride from Albert too, clocking crazy lap times in the last half. Just needs to start better. ;)