• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Damiano Caruso: The Invisible Man

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How does he fare in TTs? I think he's got a minute on the third placed right now. Can he hold the podium?
Looks like he has a decent record, especially when he has something to ride for. The closest comparable to this year's final stage is a 29km Stage 9 at Suisse in 2017, when he finished 3rd, less than a minute behind Dennis and Kung (Team BMC 1-2-3), and closed his GC gap to Spilak by 4s.

Super solid rider. Cassani always praises him because he's consistent and trustworthy. I never really warmed up to him until the Tokyo Olympics where he did a great work for Nibali. I'm not entirely sure he can handle the multimountain stages at the end of week 3 (if they take place) but he can gain a lot of time in the TT on someone like Bardet and Ciccone.
Yeah, the other Caruso was always cooler.;)

• Love
Reactions: SafeBet
I have nothing against Caruso, he's doing great so far in this Giro. But, if he's second and two minutes down on Bernal, imagine if Landa was still here and considering he was in big shape, i think Landa would have challenge Bernal for the pink jersey.

Reactions: Pinot's goat
Is this guy ninja'ing himself into pink. The first GT winner riding in his own pace? Would be fun to witness.
If he didn't ride with or almost for Bernal in the final, he would have been even closer to pink. He should have done what Almeida did to Yates. Sit on him and then attack him in the last km. I know he was riding for the podium. But now, if he doesn't crack, he is sitting almost comfortably in the top3. He has a once in a lifetime chance to win a GT. If Bernal is fading a little, Caruso can gain more than a minute in the ITT. He needs another minute on the road and at the same time he needs to watch out for Yates. It's an intriguing situation and he should go for it!

If he didn't ride with or almost for Bernal in the final, he would have been even closer to pink. He should have done what Almeida did to Yates. Sit on him and then attack him in the last km. I know he was riding for the podium. But now, if he doesn't crack, he is sitting almost comfortably in the top3. He has a once in a lifetime chance to win a GT. If Bernal is fading a little, Caruso can gain more than a minute in the ITT. He needs another minute on the road and at the same time he needs to watch out for Yates. It's an intriguing situation and he should go for it!
How can you be that sure that he'd be able to attack Bernal? I think it was actually very reasonable what he did today.
If Bernal is fading indeed, then Caruso still have 3 more opportunities to gain time on him (while on TT he'll do it regardless of Bernal's shape, just like you said).

I'm pretty intrigued to see how Caruso and Bahrain race after today, conceivably they will need to test Bernal, but probably lack the manpower with only 5 riders to do so riding from the front. I think in all likelihood they'll need to piggyback of BikeExchange pulling like they did today and put Bilbao in a break in order to be there later in the race.

I'd say Bilbao also seems to be coming into slightly better form towards the end of the race, he could be very very useful if Caruso is to try in earnest to pressure Bernal.

How can you be that sure that he'd be able to attack Bernal? I think it was actually very reasonable what he did today.
If Bernal is fading indeed, then Caruso still have 3 more opportunities to gain time on him (while on TT he'll do it regardless of Bernal's shape, just like you said).
Banking on two mtf's to be enough to gain at least 2 minutes on Bernal is highly optimistic though, even if he does fade. The way Bernal looked when Caruso caught him and the fact that he actually lost 2 seconds on the line absolutely convince me that he could have gained significantly more if he had tried. But that's the thing, try telling a 33 y.o. dude whose best gt gc result is an 8th place from 6 years ago that he is supposed to risk his podium to go for 1st place. If Caruso gets 2nd that is so far and beyond the biggest result of a career that looked to end entirely without such a result, that I kinda understand why Caruso is focussed on keeping his position.

I guess we will all be a lot smarter after stage 19. Yates wants nothing but the win, I'm pretty sure about that, so he will 100% attack Bernal. If it turns out Bernal only had a bad day then we will all think back with a smile to the day we thought Damiano Caruso might win a gt. If it turns out Bernal didn't just have a bad day and Caruso is stronger than him I'm absolutely certain he will start thinking of the win too.

Banking on two mtf's to be enough to gain at least 2 minutes on Bernal is highly optimistic though, even if he does fade. The way Bernal looked when Caruso caught him and the fact that he actually lost 2 seconds on the line absolutely convince me that he could have gained significantly more if he had tried. But that's the thing, try telling a 33 y.o. dude whose best gt gc result is an 8th place from 6 years ago that he is supposed to risk his podium to go for 1st place. If Caruso gets 2nd that is so far and beyond the biggest result of a career that looked to end entirely without such a result, that I kinda understand why Caruso is focussed on keeping his position.

I guess we will all be a lot smarter after stage 19. Yates wants nothing but the win, I'm pretty sure about that, so he will 100% attack Bernal. If it turns out Bernal only had a bad day then we will all think back with a smile to the day we thought Damiano Caruso might win a gt. If it turns out Bernal didn't just have a bad day and Caruso is stronger than him I'm absolutely certain he will start thinking of the win too.
Yates was talking about the podium in the backstage pass after the Giau. I can understand it for him too, Bernal hadn't shown any weakness and he himself hasn't had a podium in 3 years/didn't even podium 3 years ago.

I doubt Yates will go all in, but if he has legs I'm sure he'll just go for it on the final climb.

TRENDING THREADS