• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Gaudu discussion thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Chrispol said:
He really upped his game this year.

Nice showing today, I hope he can stay at this high level all the race and maybe be allowed to contest the victory from a break in the alps !
I think he's been very hit/miss this year to be honest. He was far below (my) expectations in Pais Vasco. He was invisible (and/or bad) in Dauphiné. But he was great at UAE, LBL and Romandie. But he was impressive yesterday.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Chrispol said:
He really upped his game this year.

Nice showing today, I hope he can stay at this high level all the race and maybe be allowed to contest the victory from a break in the alps !
I think he's been very hit/miss this year to be honest. He was far below (my) expectations in Pais Vasco. He was invisible (and/or bad) in Dauphiné. But he was great at UAE, LBL and Romandie. But he was impressive yesterday.

Heatstroke in the Dauphiné sadly. For Pais Vasco he said it's hard for him to resume competition after a long training pause. He said the same for FW wich will lead him to start Amstel as a team mate for Madouas next year instead of just riding Flèche and LBL.

He said today or yesterday that he can be use to put pressure on Ineos. I hope the team can send him at the front tomorrow. Perfect stage for him, but I suppose they'll wait for the Pyrénées and that Molard is going to take that role.

His season was fairly mediocre, with a disappointing Tour on top. In my eyes up until the Vuelta, but he really turned it out around here, and a great outcome with 2 stage wins and 8th!

This makes me very hopeful for him, and perhaps he can already fight for a GT podium next year? Fingers crossed, and I'm dreaming a bit. Seeing how french riders can mature in other GTs, I hope he rides Giro next year.

Reactions: gunara
My guess is he will ride GC at a GT in 2021 - Which one is hard to assess,though I'd like him to have a crack at the Vuelta.
I have a feeling FDJ will do this next season:
Giro: send Pinot with strong backing (reichenbach and molard)
Tour: build a team around Demare, give him 5 helpers. Give Gaudu free role and 1 guy designated for him (Almiral?). Let Gaudu go for GC as long as possible, if he fails in the Alps go for stage wins in Pyrenees.
Vuelta: send Pinot with strong backing

Reactions: RedheadDane
I have a feeling FDJ will do this next season:
Giro: send Pinot with strong backing (reichenbach and molard)
Tour: build a team around Demare, give him 5 helpers. Give Gaudu free role and 1 guy designated for him (Almiral?). Let Gaudu go for GC as long as possible, if he fails in the Alps go for stage wins in Pyrenees.
Vuelta: send Pinot with strong backing
I would love to see this.

His season was fairly mediocre, with a disappointing Tour on top. In my eyes up until the Vuelta, but he really turned it out around here, and a great outcome with 2 stage wins and 8th!

This makes me very hopeful for him, and perhaps he can already fight for a GT podium next year? Fingers crossed, and I'm dreaming a bit. Seeing how french riders can mature in other GTs, I hope he rides Giro next year.

I think a podium is too early to consider for him. Definitely ended up having a great Vuelta but he was reliant on taking back huge chunks of time in breaks over the race to crack the top 10 and he'll not get that sort of freedom if he's viewed seriously. Need to see him do a strong top 10 out of the leaders groups before thinking realistically about a podium challenge unless he makes a big jump.

Reactions: Tonton
I think a podium is too early to consider for him. Definitely ended up having a great Vuelta but he was reliant on taking back huge chunks of time in breaks over the race to crack the top 10 and he'll not get that sort of freedom if he's viewed seriously. Need to see him do a strong top 10 out of the leaders groups before thinking realistically about a podium challenge unless he makes a big jump.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Of course Gaudu is still young so there's room for improvement, but he was never able to follow the likes of Roglic or Carapaz in any stage I think. His 8th place is mostly due to breakaways, which is good since it allowed him to win 2 stages.

I don't think he's near Pinot's level yet.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Of course Gaudu is still young so there's room for improvement, but he was never able to follow the likes of Roglic or Carapaz in any stage I think. His 8th place is mostly due to breakaways, which is good since it allowed him to win 2 stages.

I don't think he's near Pinot's level yet.
Yes, he's still a bit behind Pinot's level. He's about the same level as TG Hart.

Great ride today on the last climb, basically solo held off all the chasers

Eyo3LzvWUAEAhyf

TRENDING THREADS