• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dealing with hot weather

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey,
was wondering if any one could give me any advice. I really suffer in the hot weather. I find my heart rate goes up alot quicker than normal, and can go close to its max without my legs burning and the other usual symptoms. I have a couple of races coming up wich are pretty important for me and I want to do my best, but know that i won't if i can't find someway of minimising these effects, especially as it is australian summer. Can anyone offer any advice?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
ambrose said:
Hey,
was wondering if any one could give me any advice. I really suffer in the hot weather. I find my heart rate goes up alot quicker than normal, and can go close to its max without my legs burning and the other usual symptoms. I have a couple of races coming up wich are pretty important for me and I want to do my best, but know that i won't if i can't find someway of minimising these effects, especially as it is australian summer. Can anyone offer any advice?

Two most useful things are; one, keep really well hydrated, as as soon as your body doesn't feel it can't produce enough sweat to regulate heat you'll start feeling the symptoms you described above; and two, don't panic, almost everyone else will be feeling the same sensations as you are.

The AIS seemed to be really into the idea of pre-chilling athletes before events (using ice-vests or cold spas) at the Athens Olympics, and I've seen pictures of Milram riders in wheelie bins full of ice, but I don't know how well and for how long, that really works.

One thing I've heard repeated, and from personal experience rings true, is to avoid spending too much time in excessive air-conditioning. If you're living in an 18 degree Celsius bubble and only popping out of it to ride your bike, your body won't acclimatise quickly enough.

And did I mention drink lots of water and take on plenty of electrolytes...

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
+1 with the air con statement, I find it is especially true the more humid the climate.

In addition to what has been said, tipping water over yourself can aid in the cooling process if you are really cooking.

Gradually build up time/intensity in the hot weather till you are more accustomed to it.

And if you start to feel prickly, stop sweating, get dizzy - STOP. Cool off and go home.

FWIW the AIS, amongst other where also trying (not sure if it had/has been implemented) a type of "slushy" to help lower core body temp.

Oh and wear a good sunscreen!

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I trained and raced in Florida for about 15 years. Dealing with the heat was a large part of my program. From experience, I suggest:

- drink water prior to your ride / race until are maximally hydrated

- start hydrating the night before

- avoid caffeine and alcohol

- have one bottle contain just water and the other an electrolyte drink of choice (I used a 50/50 gatorade and water mix)

- for every bottle I drank, I would pour another over my head and body to reduce water lost through perspiration. This only works if you have a virtually unlimited supply. Clear bottles will help to ensure that you do not dump electrolyte drink onto your head.

- start drinking on the bike within five minutes of the start of a ride/race to avoid a deficit of fluids

- never go through a feed station without getting two new bottles, you will need to have a feeder at the start of the feed zone and the end of the feed zone to accomplish this

- if you have some water left in the miles just before a feed zone, drink them up and/or dump them on yourself

- do some training rides in the hottest part of the day to acclimate yourself

- recognize the signs of dehydration (google search the pinch test) to avoid placing yourself in a dangerous situation resulting in heat stroke

- be tough and smart

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure where you live, but I live in Melbourne and the weather is known to be variable..

you can go from weeks of around 15-18 degree C, to weeks of 30+ (like now)

then outta nowhere, you go to 3-4 days of 35-40...

one thing I do, is during the cooler/lukewarm months, rug up. try to acclimatise for the upcoming summer.

if you are 'warm' on your ride, put on an additional layer, so that you are 'hot'. you're body will get used to being 'too' hot and it's essentially acclimatising.

i've been doing this all winter, and now that summer is starting, i've had no problems with the heat so far.. riding in the 32 degrees a week ago - no worries

even yesterday, i went for a ride, i think it was 25 deg (so warmish) and I wore a winter jersey, with a CCC baselayer designed as a cold weather thermal layer.

you feel warm on the ride, but you know, when the real heat starts, you've already been training for it.

i forget his name, but one of the early ironman winners used to train in a sauna - acclimatisation is the key!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
I'm not sure where you live, but I live in Melbourne and the weather is known to be variable..

you can go from weeks of around 15-18 degree C, to weeks of 30+ (like now)

then outta nowhere, you go to 3-4 days of 35-40...

one thing I do, is during the cooler/lukewarm months, rug up. try to acclimatise for the upcoming summer.

if you are 'warm' on your ride, put on an additional layer, so that you are 'hot'. you're body will get used to being 'too' hot and it's essentially acclimatising.

i've been doing this all winter, and now that summer is starting, i've had no problems with the heat so far.. riding in the 32 degrees a week ago - no worries

even yesterday, i went for a ride, i think it was 25 deg (so warmish) and I wore a winter jersey, with a CCC baselayer designed as a cold weather thermal layer.

you feel warm on the ride, but you know, when the real heat starts, you've already been training for it.

i forget his name, but one of the early ironman winners used to train in a sauna - acclimatisation is the key!

you can have 3 or 4 days above 40oC. or even a day of 47oC

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I agree that you just have to get used to it, eat right and stay hydrated - oh, and wear a headband. I got to where I like hot weather - of course in Texas we have plenty of it.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
You should never take it easy when it's hot. Otherwise you never get used to it. Besides it always makes a great story when you tell them what happened!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
- start hydrating the night before

I would only change the time to hydrate: start in the morning on the day before you ride. Give your body some time to adjust to the extra fluid intake.

Also, try riding early in the morning or after sunset. Your body will appreciate the break from summer sun.

I second the practice of one bottle of water for every one bottle of electrolyte fluid. Too much of either one will make you sick.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
improving your base fitness helps too - means you can take it easier in hot weather and still ride at a good pace.

on really hot days you should be drinking 1+ bottles of water / electrolytes mix per hour.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
after riding today in mid 30C temp and head winds I should also add - sucking the wheel of stronger riders at EVERY opportunity...helped me get home :p

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone seen the Lance blog and facebook post regarding core temp measuring?

Is your ability to keep a low core temp an indication of your fitness level?

TRENDING THREADS