• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dekker's Positive

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A lot of people on here are always protesting about people who base their opinions on rumours & whispers but it normal when the whispers always eventually prove correct. When I read about Dekker being positive, the first thing I thought about was the rumours and newspaper stories a few seasons ago. Same with Patrick Lefevre, he can protest all he wants, I dont believe him.

Its time we started giving the newspapers some credit for the work they carry out, some people might dismiss them as being tabloid journalists but I think they are great investigative journalists and I would put more faith in them over any rider or team manager. Do I believe the rumours surrounding the Rabo riders and the Austrian blood clinic, hell yeah.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
The first big dutch rider in eons gets caught and immediately you say all dutch climbers are dopers? :confused:

Man that's ignorant

you can leave out the 'dutch' for some guys on this forum.

but you and i know kelme had all these awesome attacking climbers because they come from the spanish mountains right?

Can't leave this place for a minute. Here's the UCI press release.
At least Wegelius will now probably get to do what he was paid to do.

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENe...es/UCI/UCI5/layout.asp?MenuID=MTYxNw&LangId=1

The UCI certainly know how to improve the image of it's flagship event.The usual immaculate timing.
What do we all think? One every few days or so, for the next 3 weeks?
Seems like we have a bit of a clue to the nature of that new test....

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
The first big dutch rider in eons gets caught and immediately you say all dutch climbers are dopers? :confused:

Man that's ignorant

If that's me you're referring to, that's not what I said. Apologies if you thought I was tarring people.

Just an honest question for more info. as I'd seen pics of Dekker training on pancake flat roads, and wondered how guys like that climb? That's all.

Geography sometimes is destiny: look at Holland's history, LOL.:D

NB: as I said, I hate hugely retroactive proceedings for anybody but the biggest winners of the GT's. Just a personal preference.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Got it, thanks!

CN says he lives in Monaco in their current story, but I rely on the forums now more for info.

Strange thing: CN seems now like an attachment to the forum (ie. secondary). I get more info. from the forum than the news site.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Rothar said:
The sample was originally taken on December 24, of 2007

Seems very strange that a sample from December was positive. Why would anybody be on this stuff in the off season. I can only think that he must have just been at or was getting ready for a team training camp.

Riders use EPO to train harder as well as to race harder. Perhaps he was also using it to boost his HCT to maintain a level that would fool the blood passport?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Can't leave this place for a minute. Here's the UCI press release.
At least Wegelius will now probably get to do what he was paid to do.

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENe...es/UCI/UCI5/layout.asp?MenuID=MTYxNw&LangId=1

The UCI certainly know how to improve the image of it's flagship event.The usual immaculate timing.
What do we all think? One every few days or so, for the next 3 weeks?
Seems like we have a bit of a clue to the nature of that new test....

I too was curious as to the timing - however the statement suggests that the results were received yesterday so.....

My own personal opinion is that I was disappointed - even dismayed - at the initial 5 riders that were caught under the new bio-passport and wondered how was it going to be run. Were we going to get a list of riders every few months or on an individual basis as the results came in.

Every positive is painful for anyone of us who are passionate about our sport however I would much rather the cheaters be exposed whenever the results are available than pushing it under the rug and pretending that all is well .

This has restored a 'little' faith in the bio- passport.
I actually believe it is a good day for cycling.

Parrot23 said:
Got it, thanks!

CN says he lives in Monaco in their current story, but I rely on the forums now more for info.

Strange thing: CN seems now like an attachment to the forum (ie. secondary). I get more info. from the forum than the news site.

There is probably confusion of his residence due to the fact that he has his license in Monaco.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
The UCI seems to think he holds a license in Monaco. That would indicate he lives there, or that they think he does. Otherweise the Mon. Cycling Federation wouldn't have authority to conduct proceedings against him.

Susan

he used to live (lives) in monaco also. he spents most of the year in lucca i think, but might have a monaco license.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
For me, pro cyclists are now nothing more than test horses for the latest and greatest new cycling gear I want to buy. I went from being absolutely riveted to the television a decade ago whenever a race was shown to completely ignoring all of it. Like the past few years, I won't watch the TdF. I'll just follow the new gear news from the race and of course voyeuristically follow the doping news.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I usually don't like going off topic but. Donde esta BigBoat? He has been strangely quiet the last few days. Think he's busy at the centrifuge packing blood cells for the TdF? It's kinda like missing a headache. You just get used to it. We should at least hear a I told you so:)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
basso and dekker case are different, risk still but different risk. you would assume (and i think he is) that basso is a clean rider now, and kudos to him.
But dekker come on, his situation was pretty suspicious, that's why rabobank let him go. They had to assume better and advanced testing would come into the picture.

Not trying to blame S-L, it certainly wasn't thier fault, all im saying it was a really stupid move picking up dekker.

(ps my biased attitude towards Rabobank is no different to your biased attitude with S-L/Evans)

No. The reason Rabo let him go is that he wasn't getting results and , therefore his doping became a liability that was too risky for them. Rabo knew about Rasmussen but only dropped a dime on him when the lights got too hot at the tour and the sponsor said enough. Menchov is another and I'm thinking if there is a big name to go down this summer it will be him. Rabobank, Lotto and Quick Step all drink from the same pond and have bad habits that are longstanding.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sheltowee said:
No. The reason Rabo let him go is that he wasn't getting results and , therefore his doping became a liability that was too risky for them.

Actually, he got consecutive top 5s (as a 23 year old) in Amstel, Flèche (and 6th in Liége) within the same week, plus 3rd overall in the basque country :)

He was doing very very well.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So this was a december 2007 sample... Man they sure have a back log at WADA!

That also means that, gradually, we are getting closer and closer to some more recent samples. Perhaps they will even make it in time to release some results from the Giro samples from 2008...

Can't wait to see who will be exposed!!! :rolleyes:

Back to Dekker, when was he forced by RAB to cut his ties with Checcini? Could it be that his 2007 positive has something to do with the fact that he wasn't seeing a top doctor anymore?

Bala Verde said:

That also means that, gradually, we are getting closer and closer to some more recent samples. Perhaps they will even make it in time to release some results from the Giro samples from 2008...

Can't wait to see who will be exposed!!! :rolleyes:

Back to Dekker, when was he forced by RAB to cut his ties with Checcini? Could it be that his 2007 positive has something to do with the fact that he wasn't seeing a top doctor anymore?

No, because he quit Cecchini already in february 07

Mongol_Waaijer said:
However the bad news is that many (most of) the other "talents" and big name riders have not declined in form or ability in the last few years. Has there been a big switch to old fashioned blood transfusions (as Kohl suggests) or some sort of as yet unknown new product and TD was not part of this evolution?

I am afraid that what you are saying is correct.
It is looking like the top guns could be on something else besides blood doping only. Otherwise we'll see slower speeds during this Tour.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

Maybe I have missed something here I dont think this is to do with WADA. Was it not through the UCI bio-passport that the UCI asked for retesting of Dekkers sample?

TRENDING THREADS