• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Denis Galimzyanov provisionally suspended

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hugh Januss said:
I am a bigot for thinking the majority of Russian, English, German, American, Belgian, French, Italian, Colombian etc. pro cyclists dope?
Really?
Or am I a bigot simply because I include one of your guys in my suspicions?
Hasn't even had a single race day? Why? Is that the only time doping works?
How about during preparation for racing? No benefit? OK.............

How about australian? :D :p ..if you dont include them you are a bigot :D

laura meseguer ‏ @Laura_Meseguer Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Galimzyanov letter to KAT (III): "Katusha Team has nothing to do with what happened.It was my personal decision & responsibility"

Galimzyanov letter to Katusha (II): "I refuse from my right to request and the analysis of my B sample" http://pic.twitter.com/IMRb9Iso

AqrpyplCAAAVNcB.jpg

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Full details of letter:

DENIS GALIMZYANOV RECOGNIZES DOPING USAGE

Letter of explanation

I, the undersigned Denis Galimzyanov, rider of Katusha Team, want to clear up the current matter with my positive doping tests. On March 22, 2012, being in Italy, I received a visit from antidoping control officers in an out of competition time. A month later, a urine sample taken during that visit indicated EPO.
I recognize a fact of banned substance usage.
I fully realized what I did.
I deeply regret about what happened, and I apologize to the whole team and my teammates, along with my fans whom I disappointed.
I am ready to suffer an appropriate punishment.
I would like to draw A PARTICULAR ATTENTION for that fact that Katusha Team has nothing to do with what happened. No team member knew and could know about what I did. It was my personal decision and my responsibility.
I refuse from my right to request and attend the analysis of my B sample.

April 17, 2012
Denis Galimzyanov

Zam_Olyas said:
Galimzyanov letter to KAT (III): "Katusha Team has nothing to do with what happened.It was my personal decision & responsibility"

Galimzyanov letter to Katusha (II): "I refuse from my right to request and the analysis of my B sample" http://pic.twitter.com/IMRb9Iso

AqrpyplCAAAVNcB.jpg

Laura must be the best cycling journalist around, always have great scoop and access to teams and riders also looks good :p

:p
http://www.wix.com/laurameseguer/laurameseguer#!fotografia/photostackergallery0=0

laura-09.jpg

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see a rider just admitting that he's doping, rather than trying to get off on a technicality and hiring crazy amounts of lawyers, or claiming that he'd left the evidence around as a reminder of what a bad bad boy he'd been.

Fetisoff said:
Wonder where he might end up. Don't see him back with Katusha.

You never know. So far, he's playing a good game:

*) refuse to open the "B" sample which means he'll very likely be back in the peloton by March 2014;

*) distance yourself from your team, you acted alone, they can't keep an eye on you 24/7. This is a good PR for the come back in 2 years;

*) be a man, a true Russian, don't whine like the euros do, take what's due to you and come back later. This one for the fans and of course some PR for good measure.

It's not hard to imagine he was promised a job if he doesn't do anything stupid.

Suspicious case

1. Refuses B-sample = used more than just EPO
2. Letter with all sentences beginning with I = writing forced by 'them'
3. Takes full responsibility = team involved
4. Signs a stupid paper = unable to lie in interviews

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
This ban is great for him, he can now dope 2 years free of UCI, and then come back and win everything.

Btw, what are the rules concerning a suspended rider? Should he notify the UCI that he's willing to come back after the suspension, so that they will continue the testing?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Full details of letter:

DENIS GALIMZYANOV RECOGNIZES DOPING USAGE

Letter of explanation

I, the undersigned Denis Galimzyanov, rider of Katusha Team, want to clear up the current matter with my positive doping tests. On March 22, 2012, being in Italy, I received a visit from antidoping control officers in an out of competition time. A month later, a urine sample taken during that visit indicated EPO.
I recognize a fact of banned substance usage.
I fully realized what I did.
I deeply regret about what happened, and I apologize to the whole team and my teammates, along with my fans whom I disappointed.
I am ready to suffer an appropriate punishment.
I would like to draw A PARTICULAR ATTENTION for that fact that Katusha Team has nothing to do with what happened. No team member knew and could know about what I did. It was my personal decision and my responsibility.
I refuse from my right to request and attend the analysis of my B sample.

April 17, 2012
Denis Galimzyanov

The bolded I find pretty strange. Actually makes me think that Katusha has something to do with his positive.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
The bolded I find pretty strange. Actually makes me think that Katusha has something to do with his positive.

Actually, trying to put things together (which is kinda hard, I'm still totally bummed out over this), it seems like if anyone had something to do with it - it's more likely the national federation, and not the team (I know the two are somewhat tied together), probably due to this being the Olympics year.

Caruut said:
Glad to see a rider just admitting that he's doping, rather than trying to get off on a technicality and hiring crazy amounts of lawyers, or claiming that he'd left the evidence around as a reminder of what a bad bad boy he'd been.

It's a bit like Scarponi in Puerto, no? "Let's see the evidence! I want to see what you've got against me!" "Oh, actually, yea, that works out. See you in two years!"

Still, not a good sign for him. Where are all Holczer's positives now?
Colóm - started a health spa or some such
Pfannberger - well, to be fair what kind of idiots signed Christian Pfannberger in 2009 anyway?
Schumacher - came back but has only been able to ride for Rock Racing-alikes
Kohl - now runs a bike shop in Vienna
Rebellin - came back, even had some success (actually, lots), now sitting around doing nothing
Kolobnev - has been cleared but hasn't raced since July
de Bonis - was taken off the road by Gerolsteiner for being too suspicious (Rebellin's protégé too), promptly got banned for Androni, nobody's wanted to touch him since his suspension finished

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, nowadays only very famous riders like Basso and Contador can come back on ProTour level easily or relatively easily, like Dekker or Kashechkin are doing. Though, I'm certain Kash was invited in Astana mostly for political reason. For all the rest future looks not optimistic. Galimzyanov is unlikely to become an exception.

TRENDING THREADS