• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

Derosa Factory

Jul 16, 2009
201
0
0
Visit site
factory
i laugh

sticker shop!
went to the pinnerallo 'factory' in treviso

cardboard boxes 50 ft high from taiwan.

three guys overspraying stickers with clear lac.

southern china where you need to look.
 
Jul 2, 2009
1,079
0
0
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Gee that guy didn't look Taiwanese.

exactly!
a3b938841de7d444
 
Mar 11, 2009
277
0
0
Visit site
the truth. said:
factory
i laugh

sticker shop!
went to the pinnerallo 'factory' in treviso

cardboard boxes 50 ft high from taiwan.

three guys overspraying stickers with clear lac.

southern china where you need to look.

No you didn't. You are posting this because you fell for that stupid internet video where some asian journalists visit the Pinarello factory in Italy. And, of course, some idiot on the internet got things confused and then assumed that the factory was in Asia for some reason. Even though all the workers are obviously Italian. :p

Colnago, Pinarello, and DeRosa do outsource to Asia, but the top-end bikes are still made in-house.
 
Back in 2006 I was in Italia to experience the Giro di Lombardia. On my way from my hotel in Milano to the top of the Madonna del Ghisalo I stopped by the De Rosa factory pictured in the article.

This was early on a Saturday morning and I just wanted to see what the place looked like. They have a little "outlet store" in the front of the building and as I was peering in at the assorted stock when a pleasant Italian gentelman came to the front door. In broken Italian I said good morning and that I was just checking out the place. In perfect English they guy introduced himself as Christiano De Rosa and invited me in.

I wandered around the showroom for a bit and engaged Christiano in a bit of chit chat and we started talking about the Macro model. I told him that I got to Italia a couple times a year and asked if they could do a "custom" color scheme on a Macro frame if I was there to pick it up. He assured me that they could and that they painted frames on site.

I asked a few more questions about production and to my surprise Christiano said "come, follow me, I'll show you." So, back into the factory we went. I got the nickle tour by one of the owners of the company! It appeared to me that they made the frames there, in Milano. Since I was interested in a Macro Christiano showed me the raw tubsets, CF rear stay assemblies (already assembled so they may have been made somewhere else, i.e. China), and the assembly station where the tubesets were mitered, jigged, and welded. Then he walked me back to the paint booth to show me where my frame would be painted.

I asked if Ugo would be willing to sign my top tube prior to clear coat and Christiano said "Ma Certo" - of course.

To make a long story short, I never followed up on the frame but it was quite a memorable visit. At that time I can vouch for the fact that at least some of their frames were made in Milano (I also saw raw Dual HF frames by the hundreds).

If you're ever in Milan I recommend stopping by the factory. Maybe you can get the tour from Ugo.
 
Sep 22, 2009
45
0
0
Visit site
Thanks so much for this, some awesome pics there. Next year I'm looking at getting a top end road bike, and though my LBS does Teschners, Cannondales, Bianchis, Cervelos and Orbeas, my eye has been on a King 3. I've been wondering whether it is truly top notch, handmade stuff though, having heard the stories referred to earlier about the italian factories just being sticker shops. This helps, but if anyone else has an opinion on this bike and on Derosas and their manufacturing process I'd love to hear it. It's obviously a big (and over the top) investment for me (but you only live once so who cares), and I'm really trying to do some homework. I want something quality for road racing but also something just a little different too (The orbea orca is out because we got my girlfriend one and she says we're not allowed to match!).
 
nightfend said:
No you didn't. You are posting this because you fell for that stupid internet video where some asian journalists visit the Pinarello factory in Italy. And, of course, some idiot on the internet got things confused and then assumed that the factory was in Asia for some reason. Even though all the workers are obviously Italian. :p

Colnago, Pinarello, and DeRosa do outsource to Asia, but the top-end bikes are still made in-house.

Pinarello are pretty open about the fact that they outsource everything to Asia... there was a "factory" tour in Bicycling Australia mag about the middle of the year. All they do in Italy is tidy up any imperfections and paint the frames. There were only about 8 people who work on site, each frame is there for about 28-30 days before being moved on...

Pinarello was saying that the expertise for monocoque construction lies in Asia and their quality is second to none so they have no issues outsourcing to there. I think from memory the only thing they did still make were the scandium frames.

Seems as though anything Monocoque is made in Asia - the article below even states the King is made in Japan. (I've previously heard by Mizuno)

Adds up as the Colnagos made in Italy are bonded.
 
Willow22 said:
Thanks so much for this, some awesome pics there. Next year I'm looking at getting a top end road bike, and though my LBS does Teschners, Cannondales, Bianchis, Cervelos and Orbeas, my eye has been on a King 3. I've been wondering whether it is truly top notch, handmade stuff though, having heard the stories referred to earlier about the italian factories just being sticker shops. This helps, but if anyone else has an opinion on this bike and on Derosas and their manufacturing process I'd love to hear it. It's obviously a big (and over the top) investment for me (but you only live once so who cares), and I'm really trying to do some homework. I want something quality for road racing but also something just a little different too (The orbea orca is out because we got my girlfriend one and she says we're not allowed to match!).

forgot to say a mate of mine has the king 3 and it's a very nice ride, I've had a small spin on it (wayyyy too small for me) and it felt nice and stiff.. looks fantastic too - certainly don't see many around.
 
WillieTheWaiter said:
Pinarello are pretty open about the fact that they outsource everything to Asia... there was a "factory" tour in Bicycling Australia mag about the middle of the year. All they do in Italy is tidy up any imperfections and paint the frames. There were only about 8 people who work on site, each frame is there for about 28-30 days before being moved on...

Pinarello was saying that the expertise for monocoque construction lies in Asia and their quality is second to none so they have no issues outsourcing to there. I think from memory the only thing they did still make were the scandium frames.

Seems as though anything Monocoque is made in Asia - the article below even states the King is made in Japan. (I've previously heard by Mizuno)

Adds up as the Colnagos made in Italy are bonded.

Look monocoque, 586, others, made in France.